New Member Recruitment

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Asso
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Re: New Member Recruitment

Postby Asso » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:49 pm

Silverbullet wrote:I am all for anything that can save Trisilk. I would rather it not be changed too much. Keep it a Tnt site.

I have, in my small way, tried to buck up Trisilk when I thught it was wavering and about to go down.

What I am absolutely am against is opening it up to Slash, thressomes or A/T. Sorry but none of those things were represented in the series. Not even hinted at. so, keep it clean.

If you are going to have certain parameters hold to them, don't abvolsve anyone because they may be a site donor. Donating is a volunteering to help pay for the site it is not a free pass to write and post things that are prohibited.

SB

Again, what he said.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:50 pm

I concur, but the Boss should still do as he pleases. I really don't care about anything other than what we already have here. The Bridge and The Library of P'Jem are just perfect. That said, we purists wouldn't have to use any extras, should the Boss decide to do a massive overhall. However, if he should add a VOY section... All bets are off on my TnT loyalty.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:03 pm

Editors, cogito is a great Editor. But he has hit a massive bump in the road.

right now he has three of my stories. I am holding up on another.

I would suggest that I have improved my writing and it is far easier to edit. No mispellings, quotation marks where they belong. etc.

So, I would suggest that those who are good editors take a round robin turn of editing stories. a week or so for each one. that way stories can be moved along.

JUst a thought from a frustrated writer.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:10 pm

No I don't think that's fair! Editing is hard, and not all beta's are good at the same things. I for example, couldn't do grammar, spelling, and punctuation if I was paid $1,000,000. I can do plot, characterization, and all that jazz. It's better to stick with a single beta if you're a writer.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:35 pm

Silverbullet, beta reading and doing the final pre-posting cleanup are two completely different things. Beta readers should be volunteers recruited by the author and should have the choice of either accepting or refusing to beta a given story. No fanfic site that i've ever heard of has staff betas. By the time the story gets to the staff story poster it should have only a few tweaks left at most. We need to keep beta reading and final review/posting separate for the sanity of our regular story posters ( just me for the time being). I promise to read and do a final touch up on every story I post, but I can't beta them all, guys. That's impossible. But if Cogito is too busy you have the perfect right to ask someone else to look at your stories, SB.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:41 am

Distracted wrote:Silverbullet, beta reading and doing the final pre-posting cleanup are two completely different things. Beta readers should be volunteers recruited by the author and should have the choice of either accepting or refusing to beta a given story. No fanfic site that i've ever heard of has staff betas. By the time the story gets to the staff story poster it should have only a few tweaks left at most. We need to keep beta reading and final review/posting separate for the sanity of our regular story posters ( just me for the time being). I promise to read and do a final touch up on every story I post, but I can't beta them all, guys. That's impossible. But if Cogito is too busy you have the perfect right to ask someone else to look at your stories, SB.

^ what she said. Fanfic posters are definitely not beta's.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:57 am

Cogito wrote: There are still quite a few people writing TnT stories on various sites. What I'd like to do is make the TriaxianSilk posting experience so positive for writers that this becomes their preferred place to post, rather than an afterthought.

What he said!
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:22 pm

Asso wrote:
Silverbullet wrote:I am all for anything that can save Trisilk. I would rather it not be changed too much. Keep it a Tnt site.

I have, in my small way, tried to buck up Trisilk when I thught it was wavering and about to go down.

What I am absolutely am against is opening it up to Slash, thressomes or A/T. Sorry but none of those things were represented in the series. Not even hinted at. so, keep it clean.

If you are going to have certain parameters hold to them, don't abvolsve anyone because they may be a site donor. Donating is a volunteering to help pay for the site it is not a free pass to write and post things that are prohibited.

SB

Again, what he said.

"Keep it clean"? It's clear that either 1) this site needs to remain fairly well focused on its original narrow guidelines or 2) people at this site would have to be willing to give up displaying this kind of rigid and judgmental attitude about the ways different people enjoy the series.

I'd put my money on the first one working out better than the second here. (And God bless any admins willing to cope with it.)
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:18 pm

Don't believe it would be that difficult. Slash is very obvious as is thresesomes and A/T stories. a quick read would reveal that.

This is a TnT site, we do have narrow guidlines but ones that i am comfortable in. maybe not others though.

I am from a different world than the rest of you. In the world I grew up in slash, thressomes were not broadcase. Oh, yes there were the little books but those were underground.

FRankly, I believe there is a wide area that can be covered in the Tn world. I know thee are hundreds of storeis out there which cover the Tnt orld without slash or threesomes.

Post edited for flaming of a specific minority group and for beyond PG 13 explicit content. Please be kind even if you don't agree with another person's lifestyle. Thanks for your understanding. - Distracted

I guess Iam a littl ehardnosed.

Tom
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:04 pm

I'm not a slash fan myself, but I can't help imagining how someone who is gay might feel after reading something so casually hateful. I know you understand what racism is and would avoid casually denigrating OTHER minorities, so could you please try to expand that courtesy to homosexuals?
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:46 pm

I tend to like the content of Trisilk and the regular writers and posters. Of course there are some issues and I applaud Kotik for his attempted fix and Ellesar for his stewardship. It is a bit sad that not all TnT fics are here, but it is true there are more readers over at FF. I enjoy some of the other sites like DE and Warp5, but I find much of their material unsuitable to my tastes. I do applaud those sites for their key words that help the casual reader from wandering somewhere he/she doesn't want to be. I hope that our simple splits (including the decon chamber) are enough navigation. I hope what ever happens here improves the mechanics and as previously stated draws in more authors; readers will follow and perhaps new members :D

Weeble
aka Steelchaser
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:09 pm

Silverbullet’s observations and the reactions elicited by him really made me think.

Sexuality is an important thing and it is experienced differently by everyone. I do not think I nourish prejudices against those who live their sexuality differently from me, but at the same time, I can not say that I feel a desire to read or see or even simply know the aspects of a sexuality that is not mine, even if - and of course like everyone else - I have my fantasies.

I think it is wrong to speak of normalcy in the area of sexuality, this is a mistake that we carry around too long and that has hard troubles to disappear.
But, and this is absolutely true, there is, shall we say, a majority with regard to the perception of sexuality and personally I think that this majority has the right to make its voice heard just as minorities have this same right.

What do I mean? Well, if there are people who love to immerse Trip and T'Pol in a sexuality different from that of the majority and from that that our two beloved characters showed on screen, may these people do it, what the heck!
But maybe it would be fair that the writers (and designers) who want and love to do that, they were also honest enough to admit that they are giving body (which is absolutely licit) only to sexual fantasies that have nothing to do with what we know of Trip and T'Pol and their friends (each of us has these fantasies, even very hard) and that the characters they describe are the expression of these fantasies and not - let me say - of what these characters are in effect.

And - I still allowed - for me it feels a little irritating to hear these people say that these stories are written for fun.
See, for my nature and desire for knowledge, I tend to read anything and everything.
But, frankly, I do not have fun, about this peculiar matter.
In all honesty, I perceive, rather, an underground desire, perhaps not even sensed and known by the writers themselves, to distort an image of ideal beauty.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:51 pm

Ah, but whose ideal? Beauty, as they say, is in the eye of the beholder.

We have chosen over the years to limit this site to expressions of heterosexual romantic love, at least between main canon characters. There are a few stories in the archive which deviate from that with minor peripheral characters. I have written a couple of them. No one really objected to them at the time, mainly I think because it's not the lifestyle that's the issue so much as the perception that we all carry in our heads regarding the main characters and the "rightness" of their interaction as heterosexuals in canon.

But...not everyone sees fanfiction in that way. Just as we use fanfics to "correct" things like *the_abomination*, others may use fanfics to create fantasies which they WISH were canon. This is a perfectly legitimate use for fanfiction. Just because I personally don't find that fantasy compelling doesn't mean that it might not serve a purpose for someone else.

Here at TriS, I would hope that we are including the stories that we include because they fit within our fantasy gestalt - this consensus that we have created where TnT have a future together. And if slash and other types of stories aren't included, I also hope that it's just because those types of stories don't mesh with the future that we envision for our favorite characters, not because we bear any ill will toward any specific lifestyle or minority group.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:57 pm

Distracted wrote:Ah, but whose ideal? Beauty, as they say, is in the eye of the beholder.

I think you are perfectly aware, Distracted, that this is an old and unresolved controversy.
I, for one, I beg to disagree.

Distracted wrote:Here at TriS, I would hope that we are including the stories that we include because they fit within our fantasy gestalt - this consensus that we have created where TnT have a future together. And if slash and other types of stories aren't included, I also hope that it's just because those types of stories don't mesh with the future that we envision for our favorite characters, not because we bear any ill will toward any specific lifestyle or minority group.

About this, instead, I agree completely.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:04 pm

I think we're a tad bit OT, if we can get back to the question of 'expansion' in any way, shape, or degree - thanks. Or any significant technical issues?
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”