Got a problem

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Linda
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: Got a problem

Postby Linda » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:18 pm

Well, I find the best things I have written are the ones that have just flowed out and were easy to write. Usually these have been very short stories. Others that I struggle with are usually longer stories where I am trying to keep details straight and take several revisions. But since I am trying to stretch as a writer, do different genres and styles, and completely original stuff which means non Star Trek stuff, sometimes I just sweat blood over a piece of writing.

Also there is dyslexia in my family - some family members have it a lot worse than I do. One family member even ended his life in his early twenties because he could not cope with it. So I am dealing with that and the fact that spelling is a big problem with me. Just can't remember how to spell some (even short) words, no matter how hard I try. Which is strange, because some weirdly spelled longer words I learn to spell once and don't forget. And of course beta readers usually disagree with me on which stories are my best. I am a poor judge of which of my stories are really good and which are mediocre or worse. My best skill is coming up with ideas, but few of those make it into writing. That is a good thing, though, because I can come up with some really off the wall stuff!
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:47 pm

OMG - Don't you LOVE those moments when you're thinking about your plot and everything just clicks and you're like "I better write this down quick before I lose it."

I'm having one of those moments now and I'm just giggling diabolically at the evil genius I'm about to unleash on those poor unsuspecting fanfic readers...
Writing as TrekPyro.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:54 pm

Lucky you. I had one of those two mornings ago... fifteen minutes before I had to be at work. Needless to say, five and a half hours of Subway killed it.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:46 pm

Thats the worst when you suddenly lose it.
Writing as TrekPyro.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:55 pm

Carry a pen and some scrap paper in your purse/pocket and scribble notes before you forget. I've been known to do that in church... Rolling Eyes
Image sig by chrisis1033

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:24 am

My ideas are always a tad too simple to forget. Let's see..."T'Pol gives Trip neuropressure." "T'Pol watches her husband and baby sleep." "Trip and T'Pol cuddle." "Trip and T'Pol decide they want to do more than just cuddle." We're talking heavy drama here, folks. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:26 am

Laughing

Well, if you want to boil it down, my plots are generally "Stuff blows up. Or is blown up. Some shooting is involved." Laughing
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:35 am

*nothing wrong with bowing stuff up*
Writing as TrekPyro.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:47 am

Thanks. That's exactly what I will do. I will write up a summary, then flesh it out little by litttle.

Trip starts up the trail into the mountains. The Vulcans start to move in. His Human spec ops bodyguards attack the Vulcans, while Trip continues on, oblivious. Battle scene ensues, with a few surprises included.

Meanwhile, back at the ship, Trask tells Archer that T'Para is a Vulcan kingmaker and he better be kissing her ass. So if she wants Malcolm to show her granddaughter a good time, roll out the red carpet or they were both going to be cleaning sewer pipes on a boomer transport.

Plus... OK. This is working. Thanks everyone. Very Happy
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:47 pm

Cool, Bnb, you are on a roll! I just know we are all going to enjoy it!
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

TSara
Captain
Captain

Postby TSara » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:10 pm

Rigil Kent wrote:Laughing

Well, if you want to boil it down, my plots are generally "Stuff blows up. Or is blown up. Some shooting is involved." Laughing

I have to say that perhaps one of the things I miss most about the Army is blowing stuff up.

I however how found I suck at writing these types of scenes.

Confused
"It can giggle all it wants, but the galaxy isn't gettin' any of our bourbon." -Trip to Malcolm Shuttlepod One

Archer: You missed T'Pol's latest bout with chopsticks.
Trip: Damn, dinner and a show.- Silent Enemy

http://www.myspace.com/hylndlas

http://tsara80.livejournal.com/

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:17 pm

T'Sara wrote:
Rigil Kent wrote:Laughing

I have to say that perhaps one of the things I miss most about the Army is blowing stuff up.

Imagine how I feel: I was infantry. All we did was kill people and blow stuff up. (Or at least train to kill people and blow stuff up...)
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:45 pm

All we train for in the C. G. Aux is to rescue stupid boaters who get in trouble on the big lake. (Only a few cases are not of the preventable kind, for moderately intelligent people, that is.) We get lots of practice - the Triple A of the water! Not supposed to carry guns , but our flare guns would do should we ever be in need of a weapon. So far (17 seasons on the lake), it hasn't. But there have been times when it took a long time to put a tow line on a boat because the occupants refused to put on PFDs (life jackets). We had to sit there until they sobered up or calmed down and did as we directed. By C. G. rules we can't put a line on the boat until they comply. Of course if the boat was actually sinking instead of the usual engine malfunction (running out of gas), we would take them on board our boat, PFDs or not.

But there have been cases where recreational boaters have done a good job of blowing their own boats up. You know, they forget that gas fumes sink into these cabins and machine spaces and that you are supposed to run your blower before starting your engine...
But as far as us blowing stuff up, nah. But it is educational to see how fast a boat can burn.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:22 am

I'm looking for some hard copy Enterprise pictures, specifically Trip, T'Pol and T'Baby, and SPL doesn't seem to own anything. Can anyone suggest a book or magazine containing such?
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:33 pm

evcake wrote:I'm looking for some hard copy Enterprise pictures, specifically Trip, T'Pol and T'Baby, and SPL doesn't seem to own anything. Can anyone suggest a book or magazine containing such?

There is this manip by kashka that I have:

Then there is this one:

Otherwise there aren't that many out there with all three of them in one pic.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”