Smashwords

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Smashwords

Postby Distracted » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:32 pm

Anybody ever heard of this site? It claims to be an e-book site somehow affiliated with Barnes and Nobles that allows authors to upload and charge for their original work. https://www.smashwords.com/

An acquaintance of mine told me this weekend that he posted his book on this site about 5 months ago. I was the first person who bought it (yesterday), so I'm thinking the site doesn't get much traffic that's not self-referred, but if anyone's got original work without potential copyright issues and a large network of Facebook friends to market it to, this could be useful. Has anyone tried it?

My friend's name is Kevin King, BTW. His book is a sword and sorcery novel called "The Song of the Adoel', just in case anyone's interested. You can read a third of it for free before you decide whether you want to spent 5 dollars for it. I reviewed it and gave it 3 out of 5 stars.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Re: Smashwords

Postby Cogito » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:59 am

I've never heard of it until now, but then I haven't gone in for the whole 'soft book' publication thing. Judging by the growth in e-readers, it's the way book publications are going. I suspect that publishing services to be affiliated with one of the well-known outlets like Amazon to get noticed, though.

I assume that 'Enterprise' fanfic wouldn't be elligible because of the Trek copyright issues, which is a darned shame; there is some superb work here and at the House of Tucker.

justTripn
Consigliere

Re: Smashwords

Postby justTripn » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:58 am

I learned of this about a month ago when I was investigating how my journal at work can become an e-book. I think it's WAY cool. I'm going to buy your book D. as soon as you put it out there. I'm getting a Kindle for Christmas. :)
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”