Curious....

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Hondafan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Curious....

Postby Hondafan » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:31 pm

Ya know I was just thinking about the augments...
I also just watched the season premeire of kyle XY, suppose somewhere they are working on a augment? I just think that with all the fuss about genetic engineering somone somewhere nows something that the rest of us dont.

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Re: Curious....

Postby Distracted » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:17 pm

If they are, it's not in the U.S., Hondafan. We're still stuck on whether fetal stem cell research is gonna be legal. Forget about the genetic manipulation of fetal tissue for "improvement of the species". Not gonna happen in my lifetime. I'm glad, too. What would happen to the failures? The theory is intriguing from a fictional POV, but the practical ethics issues give me the willies.
Image sig by chrisis1033

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:14 pm

Actually recently they found a way to use normal rat cells to turn them into the stem cells some people have been so focused on. Smile

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:16 pm

What makes my blood run cold is that I recently read about some research to splice Human genes into animal cells, in order to grow rejection proof organs for harvesting.

I don't even want to think about the ramifications of that one.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:21 pm

What ramifications? Confused

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:22 pm

Mutant ninja turtles! Live action anime catgirls! The amazing dog boy! Laughing
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:32 pm

I know that a person might as well laugh about it as scream. But theoretically, there is no scientific reason that, if they are able to do something like that, they couldn't actually make a synthetic organism with a mixture of Human and animal characteristics. Like pigs with Human genes. Or sapient chimpanzees. Or soldiers with heat vision like wolves.

If you have a government that isn't completely trustworthy (show me one that is COMPLETELY trustworthy) the possibilities for abuse are endless.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:35 pm

I guess to me, the benefits of organs being there for people who need them when it's hard to get donors outweighs any potential abuse. I have to admit that I didn't think of any of that though, the only rammification I could think of would be that PETA would be whining about one more thing. Razz

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:14 am

CX wrote:Actually recently they found a way to use normal rat cells to turn them into the stem cells some people have been so focused on. Smile
It remains to be seen whether these murine stem cells can be produced in sufficient quantities cheaply enough to practically replace cells from discarded embryos. If that happens, we might actually have some progress happen in the field, because then those who are concerned over the ethical issues surrounding the use of fetal tissue might vote to make research legal.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Hondafan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Hondafan » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:24 pm

Scifi wise its interesting. Realisticly with health insurance the way that it is it will not surprise me if one day you cannot get health insurance if say you carry a gene for CA,MS,Parkinsons....It may not happen in 5 years or 10 but rest assured there will come a day when everyone is using some kind of retro therepy just to maintain health insurance.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:08 pm

blackn'blue wrote:Or sapient chimpanzees.

Cooooooolllll ....

Evil Monkey
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:14 pm

Seriously, they are the closest to us genetically already. And chimps already use crude tools in the form of stripped limbs, and rocks as hammers. Some forest chimps hunt in cooperative packs too. Chimps can be taught sign language consisting of several (hundred or thousand?) words. How much tweaking would they have to do to nudge them the final few inches over into true sapience?
--Tecumseh
--King Solomon the Wise

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:17 pm

That would totally rock. But then, I'm biased ...

Sig by Chrisis1033.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:26 pm

It will be interesting to hear what they have to say to us.
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:31 pm

Suppose someone, just hypothetically say... a certain extremely large country located on the largest continent with an established record of not giving a rat's ass about individual rights... decided that individual workers in certain industries such as farming or mass industrial production really had no need for high level cognitive functions.

Imagination breeds boredom. Boredom is a liability when you are doing monotonous work.
Last edited by blacknblue on Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Tecumseh
--King Solomon the Wise

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”