Archer - Dweeb or Hero?

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

blacknblue
Site Admin

Archer - Dweeb or Hero?

Postby blacknblue » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:02 am

Which way should I go with this guy? Some people write him the way they wish he had been written in the series. Some people write him as he was in the series and let it go. Some people write him as he was in the series and have the people around him react realistically to him instead of worshiping his incompetant butt.

I have been trying ot write him as he was in the series but show him as trying to slearn and grow into something resembling a grownup. However I have been getting a few complaints about being cruel and mean to the guy by doing this. Which way should I do this? Am I being merciless to Archer in my fics? I ask for feedback please.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Archer - Dweeb or Hero?

Postby CX » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:13 am

How about a 40/60 mix? I still think of him as a loser, but as time goes on, he should be maturing and becoming someone worthy of becoming one of the founding fathers of the Federation. Getting schooled by T'Para should have taught him a valuable lesson, and I hope he doesn't make the same kind of mistake twice.

TSara
Captain
Captain
Show On Map: No

Postby TSara » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:16 am

Meh...We all have our tool moments.....especially Archer.

Don't get me started on the Gazelle story.....I'd love to find out who put that in the script.

Bitch

In any case I didn't see anything wrong with the way you portray any of your characters.
"It can giggle all it wants, but the galaxy isn't gettin' any of our bourbon." -Trip to Malcolm Shuttlepod One

Archer: You missed T'Pol's latest bout with chopsticks.
Trip: Damn, dinner and a show.- Silent Enemy

http://www.myspace.com/hylndlas

http://tsara80.livejournal.com/

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:20 am

He was so inconsistently written on the show that a writer could just pick and choose which "version" of him to use - they'd all be more or less "correct".

Personally I tend to prefer when he's written as being a competent commander, like he is in Rigil's stories. That's the only way to reconcile the fact that he is supposed to be this person instrumental in the forming of the Federation. That means he has to be a good C.O. and (eventually) a good diplomat.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:21 am

In a way, I blame Daniels for Archer's hubris. I think being told how crucial he was to the timeline went to his head.

I like the way you're showing Archer grow up. It fits really well, if he's so important, but hasn't happened overnight. And I think he should stop making very many assumptions after getting chewed out by T'Para.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:30 am

KTR's right. Very inconsistant. Just pick a version of him and write. No harm done. If you get flamed - send it to me, I could use the larph.
Writing as TrekPyro.

Dinah
Commander
Commander

Postby Dinah » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:31 am

I don't think you've been cruel to Archer. As depicted on the show, he wasn't much of a leader. He learned a few lessons in the Expanse, but he still had a long way to go to be the great man Daniels indicated he would become. T'Para took him to task just like she did Trip and T'Pol. She wouldn't waste her time on a lost cause. She must have seen something of value in Archer. Unless we're made aware of our weaknesses, we can never improve.

Although some of us might not want to admit it, Archer did have some strengths. You can show Archer's learning curve, but build upon what he does well: ability to bring people together, ability to inspire loyalty, perseverance in the face of adversity, etc.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:34 am

And the ability to leap tall buildings in a single...wait... Cool

I haven't seen any problem with how you're writing Archer either. He's learning lessons that he should have already known before they pinned on the fourth pip. Do what you do best, man, and write him how you want to write him. If you compromise on your image of him and his growth, the story will suffer...
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

hth2k
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby hth2k » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:52 am

"This above all things: to thine own self be true" (Hamlet, 3.1.81).

Still pretty fair advice if one were to ask me.

I don't see any problem with your story regarding Archer. He obviously has some failings and has to overcome them some how. Obviously he has not learned yet so some outside agent will have to teach him.

You are simply offering one particular path of personal growth for this individual.

Some may find it harsh. Life is often harsh. We tend to learn the most from our failures if we are willing ot look at them honestly. Usually we don't like it but so what? Lessons learned at an early age are always easier than those learned later.

HtH

pookha
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby pookha » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:20 am

JadziaKathryn wrote:In a way, I blame Daniels for Archer's hubris. I think being told how crucial he was to the timeline went to his head.

I like the way you're showing Archer grow up. It fits really well, if he's so important, but hasn't happened overnight. And I think he should stop making very many assumptions after getting chewed out by T'Para.

i dont think it went to his head at all.
he didnt consider himself to be more important which is why he went on to the weapon.

i also didnt see hubris at all in the scene in expanse when he is drinking with trip and the grim realization that he may have to change from the person he has been into more of a commander along the mold of the former captain he told malcolm about in minefield.

but most of the time i like archer even with his faults and i know i am in the minority around here about that.

Hondafan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Hondafan » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:40 pm

I like Archer. I liked everyone on Enterprise. Never really got to know about Travis or Hoshi that much. Outside of TnT i liked Phlox a lot.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:41 pm

Me three. Laughing He had his faults, of course, but I kinda like the guy. In some eps more than others, but I could say the same of Trip. Can't say that I noticed any hubris - bad acting, yes... And Phlox is my third fave. Very Happy

Re: his portrayal: follow your heart.
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:56 am

I thought that, given the fact that the era was supposed to be really early in Earth's exploration, an era before we were aware of and ready for the dangerous elements of space travel, and where (as far as Kirk is portrayed in TOS which is LATER), Captains basically have complete autonomy about decisions, and cowboy-diplomacy is common, that Archer should have been harder than he was. He was too 'Mr. Rodgers' and not enough 'Mr. Bauer' Laughing

He was "Mr. Bauer" for part of late season 3, but that was the exception rather than the rule. His moments of anger and threatening weren't believable or intimidating at all... When he yelled, it sounded like whining (case-in-point: lecturing Reed and Hayes in Harbinger).

In short, I think Archer should have been a little more the hardass and a little less the idealist, even though he could still have been ever-the-idealist. Sort of like the 50's were the era when hardass Marines like John Glenn were the space pilots, but as things evolved, it was the 90's when astronauts were computer nerds... though of course Glenn was still very intelligent, he was still a "hoss" Very Happy. I kind of think a similar personality evolution could be envisioned for warp ship crews/pilots from 22nd century to 24th. Maybe in the 24th, Captains were Shakespearean philosophers like Picard or modern day Marie Curies like Janeway, but "back in the day" I think it should have been a good ole' fashioned hardass.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:42 pm

"This is Captain Jack Bauer of the USS Dammit! Drop your disruptor! Drop it NOW!" Laughing
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:41 pm

I hate Archer! Yeah I know I've said it before, but he's not a good Captain for me, I grew up with Picard. Archer lacks stability, one minute he's Jimmy Stewert "awe schucks I'm just an ordinary man in a extraordinary situation, then he's egotistical bigoted jerk who can't be reasoned with and is always right! Excuse me not a good combination for a great leader. He reminds me of Henery the Eighth without the brilliant mind. If he has to become a leader of the Federation thaen beat him until he's ready. Even if it kills you or him. :D
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”