Kirk Vs Picard on Fanlib.com

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Kirk Vs Picard on Fanlib.com

Postby Distracted » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:01 am

I know everyone's gotten all paranoid about fanlib.com, but this kinda looks like fun, and the prizes are cool.

http://startrek.fanlib.com/
Image sig by chrisis1033

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Re: Kirk Vs Picard on Fanlib.com

Postby CoffeeCat » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:27 am

Oooo. Round Robin. I love playing RR. I just signed up. I'm too smegging sarcastic tho so I'll probably lose.
Writing as TrekPyro.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:20 am

I don't plan to enter myself, having seen precious little TOS, but be sure to let us know if anyone here wins! That'd be really cool.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:33 am

^ TOS is actually pretty easy to understand. Captain Kirk kinda reminds me of Trip as far as command style is concerned.

It's the Picard smeg I'm worried about. Picard never struck me as a real Captain. I always thought Riker ran the ship for him. He seemed more of an ambassador to me.
Writing as TrekPyro.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:58 am

Picard was like the teacher in a college classroom. He delegated and guided...and then stepped back and let everyone else do the work. Kirk stepped in and got his hands dirty... and usually shredded his shirt. The quartermaster must've really LOVED it when he went on an away mission. "Great... Time to put in another order for gold shirts!" Laughing
Image sig by chrisis1033

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:34 am

Well, I entered the contest and come to find out that all participants have been given four options of possible storylines. All but "The Return of Khan" have a Picard bias. Figures. Stupid modern Trek apologists...

The "Guardian of Forever" plot line is winning which is fine, I can deal with it. It was my second choice anyway.
Writing as TrekPyro.

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:16 am

I can't figure out how to enter and what the frell I'm supposed to do Sad Crying or Very sad well because there's people talking talking talking talking TALKING all the time here so I can't even watch the video or read anything Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad I can't even hear my own thoughts Confused
ImageImage

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:35 am

^ get some headphones.
Writing as TrekPyro.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:41 am

Just watch the four video clips describing the four plot possibilities (Aren't they generous? We can't, of course, be trusted to come up with our OWN plots, now can we?) and then click on "Discuss and Vote" and pick one. You should post, too. I think they're picking prizewinners from the posters or maybe it's everyone that registers. I'm not entirely clear on that point. You don't even have to write for the contest to win those prizes, though. I know that.
Image sig by chrisis1033

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:52 am

My goodness. I only belong to one bbs because I hate forum posting. Why can't they save the prizes for the people who actually *do* something. It doesn't take a genious to go bitch in a forum; I do it all the time.

Personally, I'd rather save all the deep thoughts for the fiction itself.
Writing as TrekPyro.

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:54 am

CoffeeCat wrote:^ get some headphones.

Yeah I already have headphones. They still don't cancel the background noise though Confused Confused

How do I register, I mean I already have a FanLib account what do I do. I'm sorry I sound like a total technophobe or something I just can't focus, there's like videos and images and columns with text and stuff and I don't even know what's what, I can't read what it says where with all that noise, it's like I have a short fuse in my brain or something. Or a few of them Confused Confused too many visual and auditory stimulants at the same time make my poor little brain go kablooey. Crying or Very sad
ImageImage

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:01 am

I'm not sure how to register from fanlib, T'Poptarts. I linked from Star Trek.com. Look for the "KVP" logo. Maybe there's a link there.

I think it's a way to get lots of people to register, since you can't post on the forum unless you register. I guess they figure the more people who register the more entries they'll get. I hate to break it to 'em, but just because people vote for their plot possibilities and comment on their forum doesn't mean those same people can write.
Image sig by chrisis1033

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:05 am

Yah - That happens to me too. Nice and quiet here, tho. The kids are all in bed and I have nothing to do but write.

Erm. Lessee if I can help...

http://startrek.fanlib.com/posts/list/267.page is the "Discuss and Vote" page. I didn't post anything yet, but here's the options to choose from:

1) THE RETURN OF KHAN
Enterprise-D returns from a three-month, long-range recon mission beyond our galaxy and makes a shocking discovery: the Federation has been all but obliterated.

Picard learns that a renegade human colony, established nearly a century ago by James T. Kirk on Ceti-Alpha V, waged a surprise attack against Earth, and won. Picard quickly realizes the time-line has somehow been altered. The notorious Khan was not killed in an epic battle with Kirk fifteen years after he was exiled on that remote planet...

Picard orders Enterprise-D to go back in time to confront both Kirk and Khan in a desperate gambit to restore the time-line -- and the future of the Federation.

2) HISTORY LESSON
James T. Kirk is on a top-secret historical mission to present-day Earth. Someone from the future is trying to alter Earth's past, and Kirk has been ordered to find and stop him. But Kirk isn't the only agent visiting our era from the future: Jean-Luc Picard is also here, and his mission is to track down Kirk!

A game of cat-and-mouse ensues as Picard befriends Kirk and gains his confidence, all the while concealing his identity as a fellow starship Captain from the future. Picard has been told by Starfleet Command that Kirk is going to tamper with history by preventing one of the defining events of the 21st century. Picard has orders to stop Kirk, even if it means killing him.

3) PRISONER OF TIME
Enterprise-D discovers an escape pod floating in the void. Sensors show one human lifesign, in cryonic suspension. They beam the pod aboard and discover the occupant is James T. Kirk.

Picard orders Crusher to revive him. Kirk is amazed to find himself alive, so many years into the future -- he didn't expect there to be a future! That means there's still time... Kirk warns of an impending threat to the galaxy. But his behavior is paranoid, almost delusional. Crusher warns Picard that brain damage is often a consequence of long-term hibernation, but Kirk insists that he's completely sane, and unless Picard takes him deep into the heart of Romulan territory on what may well be a suicide mission, the entire galaxy - and every living being in it -- will be destroyed.

When Picard refuses to cross the neutral zone, Kirk steals into the Battle Bridge, separates from the saucer section, and heads into Romulan territory. Picard has no choice but to pursue...

4) THE GUARDIAN OF FOREVER
The Guardian of Forever is malfunctioning -- or possibly going insane. Time-quakes are erupting from it, throwing an entire sector of space into chaos. Kirk is ordered to investigate, but the Enterprise becomes trapped in a temporal eddy.

A tractor beam from another Federation ship pulls Enterprise to safety. Kirk is shocked to discover that the other ship is Enterprise-D! From the perspective of Kirk and his crew, only a few hours have passed since they entered the Guardian's system, but the temporal eddy has thrown them nearly a century into the future.

The time-quakes are becoming more violent, and could eventually spread throughout the galaxy. Kirk wants to destroy the Guardian immediately, but Picard argues that would be immoral - the Guardian is a unique, sentient being.

As the two Captains clash, the surprising source of the Guardian's malfunction is discovered... but is it too late to save this mysterious gateway to the past?
Writing as TrekPyro.

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:13 am

Thanks I'll try it like later when I go outside or tomorrow Smile Smile
ImageImage

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:14 am

Um, do they all involve timetravel? I mean, I can't really say I haven't dabbled in one or 15 chapters of time travel, but do ALL the options have to be time travel? Pocket Books pre-emptively says :no timetravel plots.
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”