Vulcan Body Temperature

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: Vulcan Body Temperature

Postby Cogito » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:29 pm

Brandyjane wrote: With an average body temperature of 91F (Star Fleet Medical Reference Manual)

That seems to be saying that their body temperature is on average lower than the human body temperature, which is not what I would have expected. Perhaps there is a Vulcan equivalent of being cold blooded, which allows the body temperature to rise significantly without causing any harm? It would make sense that Vulcans avoid sweating under typical conditions to conserve water, even if they're capable of sweating and even if they do sweat under other conditions - such as when scantily-clad in decon.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:29 am

I don't think there is a "right answer" honestly, sometimes TPTB just don't pay attention to keep these consistent.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Brandyjane
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Brandyjane » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:25 am

WarpGirl wrote:I don't think there is a "right answer" honestly, sometimes TPTB just don't pay attention to keep these consistent.

Exactly! If it ever comes up in one of my stories, I'm going with a higher body temperature because I think it sounds more logical and I haven't heard from any of you guys that Memory Alpha is conclusively right on this. Indeed, WarpGirl has a Voy episode that indicates the opposite! Oh, well, it was just something that I came across that made me go, "huh"?

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:39 am

OK I'll look, maybe I can find it in a transcript or something. Don't know when I'll get back to you though.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:27 am

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:We have seen Vulcans sweat (T'Pol :tpol: in any decon scene for example), so that part about having no sweat glands can't be accurate.

I'd hate to see T'Pol perpetually with her tongue out, like dogs.
Last edited by Asso on Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:45 pm

One thing about the McCoy statement was that he referred to Spock who is half human. That is one thing in TOS that always bothered me. Spock kept being referred to as a Vuclan. He wasn't he was half Vulcan and Half Human. His Human side was ignored for the most part.

Anyway, Spock would hardly have the body temperature of a full Vulcan.

I have always wondered what the Temperature on Vulcan had to do with the amount and location of any body hair on a Vulcan. Humans still have it but Earth evolved through the Ice Ages and Mankind lived through one of them. Did vulcan ever have an Ice Age? If it is so Hot on vulcan I would assume that they lack any body hair especially patches of it under the Arms and elsewhere.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:47 pm

Men have body hair, women appearently don't. :rotflmao: It's so silly. If they can't keep these things consistent use what you want.

Fics

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:53 pm

Men have body hair, women appearently don't. :rotflmao: It's so silly..

:LOL: I know! What is with the female no-hair revolution these days? Man, us chix these days in N. America, as a generalization, are just getting more and more bald, hey? I bet some of the younger men these days would :explode: if they saw what women walked around like in other times and other cultures. I have a birthing book my mother in law gave me from 1971, and the full-frontal shots are just.......:? :lol:

Let's just say you can't even see the baby crowning. Cause the momma is just au naturel, baby. :faint:

I think it's the internet...men get to look at these 99% bald ladies online and then they look at their wives/girlfriends and go, "So what's the problem?" and then the girl goes and gets a brazilian wax. :lol:

Personally, I think extremism to *either* side of the hairiness spectrum is a bit weird. Let's aim for more of a middle path, I say. But no one can hear me over the sound of all that wax being ripped off.
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:01 pm

IDK, the whole hairless thing has been going on since ancient Egypt. Only men got into it too. In Ancient Rome ment to the spa and got shaved everywhere with an iron blade, and tweezers.

Fics

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:28 pm

It's definitely both genders now, at least in the college age population. I recently had someone come in to the office for what basically amounted to razor burn on both arms. I've seen it on the legs, too, of course, along with the face, neck, lower abdomen, pubis, and even the back. And most of these individuals are shaved in places it would be impossible to reach by themselves.

Obviously, we've got some hair removal places doing whole body work... or maybe some couples are stripping down, grabbing a can of shave cream and a handful of disposable razors and making an evening of it. :twisted:
Image sig by chrisis1033

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:34 pm

Ok that frightens me. Why does that seem like an episode of L&O:SVU?

Fics

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:44 pm

Well, Spock, for what it's worth, or rather Leonard Nimoy, had chest hair. I recall him being shirtless in one episode. But then again, Spock was half-Human. :spock:

As for T'Pol's hair or lack of it, well, I have my view in that... :twisted: :tpol:
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey, I was just thinking that in such a hot climate Body Hair would be useless unless to protect one from the Sun. So, T'Pol would be smooth from top to bottom. Which makes me wonder what Trip thought of it. In that shower scene she might have slipped right out of his arms.

Aside: I always hated to run my hand up a hairy leg. But in Europe when I was first stationed there, 1960, many women did not shave their llegs (other than those who hung around American males) and wore Sheer stockings. So the hair was flattened against the stockings. Most said that their Men prefered Hair on the legs. However, in the interests of good relations, I learned to live with Hairy legs.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:18 pm

Okay guys I'm just gonna post the link on Vulcan biology, temps, hair and what not and hope this doesn't get any more out there... Keep in mind that there will be contradictions. It's the nature of the beast. I cannot understand why I can't find that VOY ep, I memorized them all! :evil: http://www.stogeek.com/wiki/Vulcan_%28Species%29 http://www.stogeek.com/wiki/Vulcan_%28Species%29

Fics

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”