ENT Tech

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Show On Map: No

Re: ENT Tech

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:48 pm

I'm reading the Honor Harrington novels, and that's how plausible space battles should be done. It's shock full of tracking systems, point defence weapons, counter measures, sidewall "shield" defences... And they do right by the acceleration/deceleration vector changes in space as well. Great stuff! :thumbsup:
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Brandyjane
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Brandyjane » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:49 pm

Rigil Kent wrote:Personally, I wish they hadn't had the transporter on ENT at all, but that's just me.

I agree, though one of my all-time favorite ENT moments is when Archer realizes he has just been transported in "Broken Bow."

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:53 pm

Still it was fun seeing Malcolm come up with Force Fields. Even I can admit little things like that made ENT unique in a good way.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Postby Lady Rainbow » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:16 pm

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:I'm reading the Honor Harrington novels, and that's how plausible space battles should be done. It's shock full of tracking systems, point defence weapons, counter measures, sidewall "shield" defences... And they do right by the acceleration/deceleration vector changes in space as well. Great stuff! :thumbsup:

I LOVE the Honor Harrington novels! You're reading goo stuff, KTR! :thumbsup:
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:39 pm

^ Yeah, I think I might have sort of a crush on Honor. :loveeyes: I've never had a crush for a purely literary character before.

Of course I can picture Jolene Blalock or Angelina Jolie playing Honor (even if Honor is supposed to be quite tall) if they ever made a Honor Harrington movie.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:46 am

Shalom Harlow?
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:55 pm

Uh, shalom what?

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:57 pm

Model/actress Simular bone structure, but TALLER. Thought she might look more like the heroine in the book. Just "thought out loud" nevermind.

Fics

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:07 am

Oh, it's a name!

Another Honor Harrington candidate could be Bridget Moynahan. But now we're getting side-tracked...

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:47 pm

Luckily I've another random thought to un-sidetrack us (and I got this one trying to figure out what to make for dinner, not while trying to sleep, so I guess that's an improvement), but, simply:

Why Veiwscreens?

Oh, I can understand their importance and how, in classes I've had, it's a lot easier to look up at the screen then follow along on the computer right in front of you that's been synced to show whatever it is they're projecting, but, in essense, what I'm getting at is:

Why, when hailing an enemy, do you do it on your bridge, where s/he can see everything that's going on behind you and, if they're smart, will figure out the cunning plan that's being implimented while you attempt to distract him/her?

And side questions: Why, when the UT is known to be functioning, do the alien's lips seem to move in sync to the English translation? Shouldn't it look more like an old, dubbed marshal art's movie - or is there cunningly inserted video-editing software to prevent the slight mental distress that might occur from hearing something that doesn't match up with the visuals you're getting? Why do no other species seem to have UTs? And, randomly recalling "The Andorian Incident," Trip and Archer don't appear to be wearing UTs, so why do remote, secluded Vulcan monks know English? Or, more interestingly, Andorians, who have, presumably, never heard of humans until then? (Unless their antenae give them some sort of latent Bable Fish-esque translating skills?)....

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:02 pm

Honestly unless you're Lursor and Bator, and you've hooked a 23rd century video camera and bug to a victim you're not going to get much info from your viewscreen unless you've don't so much damage that the bridge is a disaster, and then you onlu know that you might win.

UT. Its too expensive to show their lips moving in anything but english, it would mean creating a new language for every alien and teaching it to actors. And until recently they wouldn't have the technology.

In the "Andorian Incident" The communicators function as UT's maybe they still worked after they were taken away and humans have super hearing, 150 from now. I don't think it is hard for a Vulcan to learn to speak english, maybe the monks got bored. Maybe because there were spies there they learned for their jobs. Maybe the Andorians knew the Vulcans were allied with humans and studied up. Maybe it's just a tv show. :D

Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:04 pm

WarpGirl wrote: Maybe it's just a tv show. :D

Yeah, I vote for that one.

It's kind of funny, when you watch Enterprise over again, to notice how totally inconsistent they are about use of the UT.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:12 pm

Oh, fine. *pouts* Ruin all my fun.

Though i can stand the UT inconsistancy. It's kinda annoying after the first 2-3 translation-related episodes, but at least its somewhat realistic. After all, there would be bound to be all sorts of alien-language issues in space exploration...

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:15 pm

Yeah I have to just rain on someone's parade, life's no fun without it. :-P Actually, I agree with you. It is kind of weird everyone speaks great english in ST. And in this era a lot of errors in the UT makes sense, otherwise Hoshi has less to do than she actually did in the show.... :(

Fics

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”