Vulcan Experts to the rescue

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Kotik

Vulcan Experts to the rescue

Postby Kotik » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:33 am

Hi there :)

Would anyone happen to know, what a Vulcan Expression for the ol' Marines motto "Semper Fidelis" would be?

Cheers, Kotik

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Re: Vulcan Experts to the rescue

Postby Distracted » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:11 pm

Dunno, but you might pm Linda and ask for her Vulcan Language sites. I think she's still got access to some of the old VLI database. Or maybe Crystalswolf.
Image sig by chrisis1033

crystalswolf
Commander
Commander

Postby crystalswolf » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:48 pm

I could not find an exact translation at first dig. The best I can give you right now is...

"kwon-sum (ek'kayik heh) fonn"
[always (constant and) loyal]
**keep in mind that I'm not sure about the translation for "constant" It may not carry the meaning of "faithful, loyal" and so on than it does in English.

The sites I use obviously are not official but they do seem to be as thorough as I've seen so far. Here they are for quick ref if you want to look for a closer match:
http://www.stogeek.com/wiki/Category:Vu ... _Institute
http://www.starbase-10.de/vld/

hope this helps.

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:25 pm

Okay, Vulcan experts . . .what's known about Vulcan funeral rites?
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:32 pm

This comes from the old VLI. Which was once pretty much everyone's go-to site, from TPTB to fans.

Vok-Van-Kal t'To'oveh Adult Memorial Service

A brief memorial service or ceremony is held soon after the death of an adult Vulcan. It is usually presided over by a Vulcan Master, if not a High Master, and attended by the immediate family, clan members, friends, colleagues, and any other interested parties. For an important person, the ceremony may be held at Mount Seleya itself, but the services of most ordinary Vulcans are held at their clan ceremonial grounds. The body is not present at this ceremony, having already been buried or cremated.

Below you will find an example of the typically brief Vulcan memorial service in both Traditional Golic Vulcan and Federation Standard English. For our purposes, "Suvak" is the recently departed and "T'Lisu" is his wife.

Traditional Golic:

Trensu: Dor-tor etek nash-gad vokaya t'Suvak - sa-fu t'Sumuk. Nam-tor ek'etek nelauk k'tevakh hi vesht tvidonik k'ha'kiv t'osa-veh. | pi'svizh | Dor-tor etek nash-gad o'ish-veh -- doran sa-telsu - doran sa-mekh - doran sa-kai - doran ek'talsu. Noshau ha'kiv t'o'ish-veh wuhkuh t'dan-fudaya eh t'dan-vam | kuv wi ha'an ko-telsu t'Suvak - i'stariben ko-veh t'sha'sa-telsu - zahalan k'kanlar s'keshtan-zek - kuv aitlu au fan-vel hau | T'Lisu: Pi'maat heh t'hai'lu -- sochya eh dif. Trensu | k'eku la |: Dif-tor heh smusma.

Federation Standard:

Master: Today we honor the memory of Suvak, son of Sumuk. We are all diminished by his death but we were enriched by his life. (a brief pause) Today we honor him: We honor the husband, the father, the brother, the scientist. His life is one to be held in the highest regard and esteem. (If Suvak's wife is still living, she will now speak about her husband, followed by their children in birth order, if they wish to add anything.) T'Lisu: My family and friends . . . peace and long life. Master (on behalf of all present): Live long and prosper.

Vok-Van-Kal t'Kan Child Memorial Service

A brief memorial service or ceremony is held soon after the death of a Vulcan child. It is usually presided over by a Vulcan Priestess, and attended by the immediate family, clan members, friends and colleagues of the parents, and any other interested parties. For the child of a very important person, the ceremony may be held at Mount Seleya itself, overseen by a Vulcan Master, but the services of most ordinary Vulcan children are held at their clan ceremonial grounds. The body is not present at the ceremony, having already been buried or cremated.

Below you will find an example of the typically brief Vulcan memorial service in both Traditional Golic Vulcan and Federation Standard English. For our purposes, "T'Mal" is the recently departed child, and "Sonet" and "T'Lin" are the parents.

Traditional Golic:

Reldai: Dor-tor etek nash-gad vokaya t'T'Mal - ko-kan t'Sonet heh t'T'Lin. Nam-tor ek'etek nelauk k'tevakh hi vesht tvidonik k'pen-ha'kiv t'oko-veh. | pi'svizh | Dor-tor etek nash-gad oko-veh -- doran ko-kan - doran ko-kai - doran ko-bath - doran ko-kan-kan - doran ko-thrah. Noshau pen-ha'kiv t'oko-veh wuhkuh t'dan-fudaya eh t'dan-vam. | dungi i'stariben mekhu - zahalan k'fan-vath-kanlar t'au s'keshtan-zek - kuv aitlu au fan-vel hau | Sonet heh T'Lin: Pi'maat heh t'hai'lu t'etek -- sochya eh dif. Reldai |k'eku la|: Dif-tor heh smusma.

Federation Standard:

Priestess: Today we honor the memory of T'Mal, child of Sonet and T'Lin. We are all diminished by her death but we were enriched by her short life. (a brief pause) Today we honor her: We honor the daughter, the sister, the niece, the grandchild, the friend. Her brief life is one to be held in the highest regard and esteem. (The parents will now speak, followed by any other children, in birth order, if they want to add anything.) Sonet and T'Lin: Our family and friends . . . peace and long life. Priestess (on behalf of all present): Live long and prosper.

Dang! Just spoiled my chapter 6. Hopefully it helps you. :D
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:39 pm

The Vulcan arc seems to suggest the believe that katra's are placed in a jug. Also we see in the caves of P'Jem lots of the small jugs. So maybe there is a ceremony after which some one ashes (as symbol for the katra) or bones (with a lighter form of cremation) in the jug is placed in a cave.
Last edited by panyasan on Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:41 pm

Wouldn't that depend on whether a Katra is saved? I'm not sure every Vulcan that dies would want or need to have his katra saved. I don't think its a cultural rquirement. I could be wrong... :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Postby Alelou » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:07 pm

Judging from the Vulcan arc, recovering katras during the time of ENT this was something that had fallen out of practice and scientific belief, and was only resurrected with the recovery of the Kir'shara.

That's a nice memorial ceremony, but I still like mine better. 8)
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:29 pm

I just wanted to help. Personally I think AuroraBorealis' memorial scene was the best I have ever seen dreamed up. But I didn't know Alelou wrote one so I've never read it.

Fics

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”