T'Pol's Father

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Show On Map: No

Re: T'Pol's Father

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:25 pm

Rigil Kent wrote:
Alelou wrote:Anyway, I ain't arguing with you, WG. Hmmm does not constitute arguing. It amounts to stroking my beard thoughtfully, if I had one. Besides, I think Ent forgot about the fuschia blood thing, didn't they?

I think the only time we saw that was in that Trek movie with Chang. Beyond that, every Klingon's blood is shown to be just like human blood. Somebody (maybe Memory Alpha?) theorized that it was due to Augment stuff being weeded out (since their facial ridges weren't that large.)

The reason for the fuschia blood in The Undiscovered Country was that the studio wanted a lower rating so more kids would get to see the picture. That much "real" red blood would have given it a PG or higher rating. Or so I read somewhere.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:14 pm

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:
Rigil Kent wrote:
Alelou wrote:Anyway, I ain't arguing with you, WG. Hmmm does not constitute arguing. It amounts to stroking my beard thoughtfully, if I had one. Besides, I think Ent forgot about the fuschia blood thing, didn't they?

I think the only time we saw that was in that Trek movie with Chang. Beyond that, every Klingon's blood is shown to be just like human blood. Somebody (maybe Memory Alpha?) theorized that it was due to Augment stuff being weeded out (since their facial ridges weren't that large.)

The reason for the fuschia blood in The Undiscovered Country was that the studio wanted a lower rating so more kids would get to see the picture. That much "real" red blood would have given it a PG or higher rating. Or so I read somewhere.

Oh jeez.

Yes, still nothing to do with T'POl's father...
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:33 am

I'm curious how the sight of people bleeding pink - or green - or neon orange for that matter - is supposed to be less frightening. In fact, if I was a kid and saw someone bleeding the wrong color, I'd probably be more freaked out than I would be just seeing someone bleeding...

But whatever.

Alelou wrote:Yes, still nothing to do with T'POl's father...

We can be sure that T'Pol's dad bleed green though, if he was Vulcan or Romulan.... just shoehorning that in there...

Enerdhil
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Enerdhil » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:47 am

Silverbullet wrote:Alelou, I believe that in one Episode it said the Enterpise was carried inside of an Aquatic ship. If it is a fishbowl the ship must have had some sort of area that other species could use when visiting. Archer said he had beeno an Aquatic ship.

The problem is the size of their ship and how is filled with water (in the same - or previous - episode other similar ship is destroyed by the sphere anomalies and pours water all over) and water is a very *dense* substance to be put in orbit in such larger volumes...

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:47 am

Likely, the water is added after the ship is in orbit. H2 and O2 gas from the atmosphere are collected and combined into water once the ship is in space, meaning that only a small shuttle filled with the stuff would be needed to transfer passengers/crew...

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:05 pm

I can't remmeber the Episode but Archer was on an Aquatic ship. I keep wondering how the E;ectronics (computers and whatever) was handled. the Damned ship is filled with water but the electronics would have to be all over the ship unless the Aquatics could see in the dark. If a heavyly shielded cable somehow broke Zap, Dead Aquatucs all over the ship as they would be electrocuted unless the Cable shorted out but still some of them would be fried. Also, the Aquatic ship is supposed to be faster than the other Xindi ships. A ship that could carry the enterprise would have to be HUGE. Enterprise is not THAT small. None of the Aquatic Ship business makes any sense. For that matter neither do t he Aquatics. All of the other Xindi are Bipedal quadrapeds. They have more or less a humanoid build. The Reptilians looking the most alien. The Sloths, Aboreal and the Humanoid Xinidi less alien. Never bought into the five being the same species.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:33 am

I've got an idea - Let's take this Xindi Conversation to an appropriate thread.

Opening now. . .
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

Ulva
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Ulva » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:15 pm

I have to agree with what several people have written in this thread, that the idea of T'Pol having a Romulan dad isn't really my cuppa. It can't really be used to explain why her emotions are closer to the surface than your "standard" Vulcan since it is an acquired thing, so what else can you use such a twist for? Oh righ, to put T'Pol through more agony. Congratulations Polly, your dad is still alive and guess what? He's Romulan! A spy! *sigh* It couldn't be used to question her loyalty either. If I had found out dad was a Romulan as a grown up I wouldn't suddenly go questioning my loyalties and I don't think T'Pol would either. Just because you learn that a part of your gene pool links you to the enemy it really doesn't change things that much.

From a writer's pov I can understand why you would like to explore anything Romulan. They're a substantial part of the ST universe but it's like packaging an empire of smoke finding out who they really are and what they're like. I suspect that if Sussman was asked he'd jump at the chance to have a go at the Romulan war. He seems to want to explore the Romulans. Part of it seems to be because he would have a kind of artistic freedom that much of the ST universe don't offer. Canon is... difficult. Sometimes.
Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right. - Isaac Asimov

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:28 pm

I completely agree. And the Romulans are underdeveloped and an interesting place to go to creatively... But to use that to "explain" T'Pol, is just overkill.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:57 pm

WarpGirl wrote:I completely agree. And the Romulans are underdeveloped and an interesting place to go to creatively... But to use that to "explain" T'Pol, is just overkill.

Most everything after the pa'nar is overkill... but you have to admit that, it done right, it would've made a hell of an episode.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:00 pm

A lot of things "if done right" would have made fantastic episodes. The problem is they weren't always done right at all. So sorry my "faith of the heart" is dead as a door nail.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:22 pm

True, so true. In a way, it makes me glad there wasn't a 5th season. Some of the things they claimed to have planed for it were about 80x worse than "T'Pol's father is a Romulan" would ever have been. If I remember correctly, there was some suggestion of a musical episode... though I hope that's just a joke. It worked well enough on Buffy, but everywhere else... it kinda terrifies me to imagine an ST musical, actually.

Ulva
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Ulva » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:08 pm

*snerk* For some reason I'm getting mental images of Archer doing Siegfried in Nibelungen... :lol:
Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right. - Isaac Asimov

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:17 pm

Maybe, but I see Phlox doing a version of "The Major-General's Song"...

Brandyjane
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Brandyjane » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:08 pm

I think having T'Pol's father be a Romulan is fine as long as it's not presented as the great, "Oh, This is Why She's Like That" excuse. I thought about making her father a Romulan for the story I'm currently writing, but in the end, I decided to keep her father 100% Vulcan. One reason I decided against making him Vulcan was that I really liked Honeybee's "Family Secrets" story where she explored that idea, and I didn't think I could find an original way to measure up to that.

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”