T'Pol's Father

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Linda
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: T'Pol's Father

Postby Linda » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:04 pm

Okay, I will try jumping in here after reading most of this thread and skimming the rest. Do we all agree that Vulcans are highly emotional people at the core and have developed meditation and some heavy cultural rules to repress said emotions? Look at how Tolaris lost control after experimenting with emotions and I don't know of anyone who has proposed that was because he is a Romulan - though I guess some fan fic writer has or will come up with a story about that. So I would think we would not need Romulan blood in T'Pol's family tree to account for her emotions being near the surface, though her having a Romulan parent has been a good plot point for stories. I think that if you craft a story so T'Pol's background makes sense and the plot is exciting or at least interesting, it would be a good read for most of us who are interested in the character, no matter what our personal take is. If I had time, I would read everyone's stories here as the writing seems of high quality on the fan fiction scale! Anyway, I find it fun to scratch any Vulcan and find a highly emotional being one or more layers under that smug skin of emotional denial. :lol:
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:23 pm

Well I agree Linda but dang I was gonna play with Tolaris having some connection to the Rommies!
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:39 pm

WarpGirl wrote:Well I agree Linda but dang I was gonna play with Tolaris having some connection to the Rommies!

I did play with that back in Endeavour: Vigrid.

I suspect most of the people who automatically dislike the idea of them establishing T'Pol's dad as a Romulan do so because it seems like more sloppy writing. They so often had her acting more emotionally than was appropriate for a Vulcan, but rather than just stick with the notion that not all Vulcans are the same, they seemed to be poised to blame all of that previously bad writing on her biology (which has another insidious subtext if you think about it.)
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:42 pm

That's right you did Rigil! And very well too. :D I wanna know how Linda imagines T'Pol's father.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:45 pm

I dunno. You could make an arguement saying that, if Vulcans and Romulans are genetically identical, the emotional training is all taught. If T'Pol's father was Romulan, he might've been less strict with T'Pol about emotional control when she was a child than a Vulcan father would be.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:51 pm

It is all taught. Basically an out of control Vulcanoid is a raging, paranoid, psychopath. Because that's the way their alien brains are wired. Rommmies actually do have various mental diciplines, some of them ripped off from Surak. But I can't see how a Rommie hiding out on Pre-TOS Vulcan could afford to draw attention to himself by being lax in his daughter's emotional dicipline. Although I admit its likely he's much more tolorent than his wife.

Fics

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:55 pm

Not lax, just... less strict.

Example, six-year-old T'Pol smiles. T'Les and most Vulcans tell T'Pol never to do it again and, I dunno, force her to meditate twice as long that day. T'Pol's father simply says never to do it again and leaves it at that.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:01 pm

Oh OK I understand now. Sorry. :oops:

Fics

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:03 pm

For me, T'Pol's father had something of Trip.
Not rarely daughters seek in their soul mates, maybe unconsciously, a trait which reminds them their father.
So, it doesn't matter who her father was. What matters is who Trip is.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:05 pm

I'd rather die than marry a man like my dad. I don't need the stress. :roll:

Fics

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:10 pm

Maybe that's true for you; many other women do it.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:26 pm

We seldom do it consciously; something about the guy just makes us feel like we're home. It could be traits familiar from our moms, too.

Later, that exact same thing will probably absolutely make us NUTS.

Same rule applies to guys and their parents.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:19 pm

All I meant was it isn't a hard and fast rule.

Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:21 am

Rule or not, since you're not conscious of it when it happens, there's not a whole lot you can do about it except -- I don't know -- maybe ignore that intense feeling of falling in love and go spend five years in therapy instead.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:49 am

So you're saying that all people unconsciously must choose mates with traits their parents have. Um OK how would you know that?

Fics

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”