Any hope for the New Star Trek movie?

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: Any hope for the New Star Trek movie?

Postby CoffeeCat » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:45 pm

Jedikatie wrote:The jelly bean controls and whatnot on TOS, in fact, have always looked more than a little silly to me, personally.

HeHe... Jelly Bean Controls
Writing as TrekPyro.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:50 pm

Heh. They do sorta look like gumdrops.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:09 am

First of all, I agree with Rigil's rant abovethread.

Second, I agree with JK's post about jellybean controls.

I liked ENT from the beginning, and thought it was a fitting prequel, albeit with its share of problems (see my first season reviews for that). But somewhere during the latter half of the first season and then most of the second season it turned not so good. Thank God season three came and put new life into the show.

I also never cared for the TNG movies, except First Contact which I liked.

Perhaps I did swallow every Trek that was out there. I watched what I could though, but mostly beacuse in my country we're not garced with much science fiction on TV. So I caught what I could of TNG and VOY. But they paled in comparison to Babylon 5, which aired at the same time. I was obsessed with B5, and since a Trek show aired the hour before (or after, can't recall) I watched that too.

So I might be a tad guilty in that I didn't bail on VOY when it was at its worst.

But I don't think I swallowed it in the sense that I gladly accepted what was presented. I realized that it all too often was sub-par Trek and was quite frustrated with that fact.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Hondafan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Hondafan » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:34 pm

I might sound like a broken record but for me the way that the TNT thing was handled left a lot to be desired. First of all they portrayed the Vulcans all wrong. Second of all the last two movies have been horrible. A large portion of TNG had problems as well. For me its the books that kept me coming back.
I know what Trek could be and I know it can be soo much more. To get me back 100% they need to make it cannon that Trip wasnt killed in the abomination and that TnT produced on of the first Vulcan/Human hybrids.
Come on Vulcans do not get divorced.

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:20 pm

They also don't carry on with humans. I think we can all agree that T'Pol is *not* your average Vulcan.

But you're all right, of course. Star Trek is just so deliciously audacious in my opinion. And there's so MUCH of it. MASSES of Trek. MASSES of different media. The fact that there are a only a couple of handfuls of well-known stinker episodes/movies/books that we like to hold up as crappy and non-canon is also testament to the fact that there are hundreds of eps/books/chars/storylines that DO keep us addicted to a bulletin board about two cancelled characters and a cancelled show.

There's SOMEthing indefinable that is somehow more magical than any other TV phenomenon out there. The fact that we actually DO have to TRY and (impossibly) reconcile our today-filmed 22nd-C tech with GUMDROP stuff from the SIXTIES really speaks to our show's abiding mysterious timeless quality. It speaks to our insistence on it all somehow hanging together over 40 years of television.

We Trekkies are perfectionists. We're above average intelligence, and above-average geekiness, and I think, if a study was done, above-average stubbornness (from being shoved in all those lockers as adolescents). We're like Seven of Nine with the obsessive perfectionism. We try to stick to canon for forty years and beyond. There are whole sites and books and legions of people keeping track of "Trek" history. Trek tries to iron out technical "mistakes" like Klingon foreheads through creative scripts, instead of just "rebooting". Don't always succeed, but the whole circuitous explanation is always dead interesting and sassy.

And, since we're always looking at a show/movie/book produced by massive committee collaboration spanning literally decades, some of it is crazy and zany. Committee collaboration is always a bit watery and strange.

And we FANS monitor the zaniness and discuss and analyze canon like no other genre. We mostly stole the term from the crazy Sherlock Holmes perfectionists. Canon is mostly a Trek term. We demand a lot as Trekkies. And sometimes they listen. They "fixed" the finale with TGTMD, clearly, not to be nice (when have TPTB cared about the little fans?) but to re-rally all the completely pissed Trek nuts they upset... so that the entire legion of said nutty fans wouldn't ignore the movie in 2008. It was crafty of them. It was crafty of us.

I dunno, Trek perfection would have nixed that whole Nitpicking book I mentioned. To me, Trek will always be just the right mix of Picard and B4, what happened to the Klingon forehead and female Pon Farr, "Observer Effect" and "A Night in Sickbay", "Terra Prime" and "*the_abomination*", heroic, believable Trip Tucker and silly pretty-boy Mayweather. Worf joining Enterprise for every movie. The Wrath of Khan and Nemesis. The Gorn and the Borg. The good stuff and the weird stuff. And the bad stuff. The awesome stuff wouldn't have as much impact if there wasn't warp ten and Tom's prosthetic tongue and evolved lizards to balance it all out. The Beebs serve a purpose. Like dung beetles in a garden. Smile

I dunno! I think *the_abomination* and then the zany book-fix is SO much more insanely interesting than just a passable series finale and no more discussion. WE certainly wouldn't still be here years later, joyfully banging away at pagelong posts regarding the specific, specific insanities of our kooky show.

So, we kind of owe our community to the kookiness, and so in a big, Sixties, Gumdrop Way, the kookiness is part of Trek.

Would we all REALLY be happier if it all fit together and you could just watch and just forget and never think about it again?

Holy long post Batman.
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:36 pm

Enterprikayak! I'm so glad you're back!
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:53 pm

enterprikayak: I think you hit the nail on the head. Perfectionism and stubborness - what beautiful music they make.
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:36 pm

...and our two favourite characters are known for their perfectionism and stubbornness especially, are they not?

We love it. No matter what we say.

We LOVE it!

(I am back! Over-posting as usual in fine form. And all thanks to Ann (JustTrip'n). You can blame her. Very Happy)
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:44 pm

enterprikayak wrote:We love it. No matter what we say.

We LOVE it!

I'm sorry, but that doesn't apply to me. I'm brutally honest. If I love something, I'll tell you. (For example, I loved Star Wars before the prequels came out.) If I think something sucks, I'll let you know.

If this movie appears to suck, I won't watch it. Period. Hell, I still haven't seen all of the Sybok Trek movie 'cause it stunk. They've burned too many bridges with me for me to just go see a movie because of the franchise title being attached to it. I'm tired of being fed crap and told that its steak.

Just sayin'...
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:52 pm

And yet you love something. You're here. You're wearing Romulan garb and a latex-rubber prosthetic headpiece in your photo...and you post on Trek boards daily. There is something here that you just LOVE! C'mon, Rig, admit it: Friday nights you unwind with lavender epsom salt bubble baths, and there is a wee song in your heart for all things Trek. Tra la la la la. Cool

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:00 pm

enterprikayak wrote:You're wearing Romulan garb and a latex-rubber prosthetic headpiece in your photo...

That's a photo manip - my roommate is a genius with PhotoShop and I just knew that the pic would drive Mitchell crazy. Twisted Evil
C'mon, Rig, admit it: Friday nights you unwind with lavender epsom salt bubble baths, and there is a wee song in your heart for all things Trek. Tra la la la la. Cool

Uh ... nope. I unwind on Friday nights with a game of D&D. Yep. I'm a true geek.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:15 pm

Ar, I'm up for the odd bit of Magic the Gathering (using my 12 year old cards). But I've nae dragoned nor dungeoned.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:16 pm

Aie! Magic is the tool of the devil! It's like gamer crack! (Says the guy who is 35 and has played D&D since 7th grade. Does some mental math and shudders at how much time that is...)

Sig by Chrisis1033.

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:28 pm

Hmmm. I've never heard you shriek like this..

Perhaps you are repressing memories of being taken down in the later nineties by some deadly-nefarious combo, say Lord of the Pit, Breeding Pit and Drudge Skeletons? Or perhaps, YOU held some poor bastard hostage with a similarly cunning cunning combo of your own, only to be crushed under the relentless, pointless, underhanded erasure of Nevinyrral's disk... JUST as you were about to strike.

No wonder you play D&D. But why all the lavender and epsom salts? I don't get how that fits in.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:38 pm

Man ... we've seriously dragged this thread off topic...

Back to the movie ... I want tribbles. Or better yet, have one of the instructors at the academy be a half Vulcan played by David Andrews. No name is necessary, IMO...
Last edited by Rigil Kent on Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”