Any hope for the New Star Trek movie?

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: Any hope for the New Star Trek movie?

Postby JadziaKathryn » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:20 pm

I've not seen very much TOS - just a few episodes - so I'm not very excited about the new movie if it's young Kirk, et al. I would've preferred an ENT movie, or a DS9 movie, or a VOY movie (because the final defeat of the Borg would've been way cool.)

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:27 pm

CX wrote:I'd actually like a DS9 movie myself, or a mixed TNG/DS9 movie that passes the torch to the DS9 cast.

But, as has been pointed out before, that's not financially solvent. The only characters known to the general public are the TOS & TNG characters. Banking on a small minority of Trek fans (in this case, the DS9 fans) doesn't make financial sense. It's why I know that there won't be ever an ENT movie no matter how much I would like to see it.

You also have to take into account the amount of time that has passed since DS9 ended and the present. As we've seen in the ENT "finale", no amount of make-up or lighting can conceal the fact that the actors have aged. Some gracefully, some not so. This isn't a slam, merely an observation.

Frankly I think they're making a TOS movie for the wrong reasons, because they have this notion that it will garner more attention that way because of the name recognition, but it'll be the same people going to this one as every other movie, with only a few new people, like always.

I'll have to disagree with you in that regard. I think it's actually more likely to get more attendees than any of the previous TNG entries because its a recasting of TOS. It's automatically got the name recognition of Kirk and Spock and McCoy that DS9 or VOY or ENT will never have in the general public. So, from a financial point of view, it makes much more sense than doing a DS9 movie with characters that the general public don't know.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:30 pm

*sigh* Well, then, maybe they should stick to making good TV. *mumble mumble*

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:33 pm

Rigil Kent wrote:You also have to take into account the amount of time that has passed since DS9 ended and the present. As we've seen in the ENT "finale", no amount of make-up or lighting can conceal the fact that the actors have aged. Some gracefully, some not so. This isn't a slam, merely an observation.

Which is why you set the time-frame accordingly. That's why the new Indiana Jones movie is being set in the '50s instead of the '30s again. Hell, if they'd set the TNG part of *the_abomination* post-NEM, it would still suck, but that'd be one less slam.

I'll have to disagree with you in that regard. I think it's actually more likely to get more attendees than any of the previous TNG entries because its a recasting of TOS. It's automatically got the name recognition of Kirk and Spock and McCoy that DS9 or VOY or ENT will never have in the general public. So, from a financial point of view, it makes much more sense than doing a DS9 movie with characters that the general public don't know.

The general public is anti-Trek. They make fun of it, and they make fun of the people who watch it. Therefore, only the same people who have always watched the movies and the series will watch this one too. Even if this movie is freakin' awesome, I severely doubt it'll do any better than say First Contact or ST6 did.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:40 pm

I can name you about twelve people that I know offline who are not Trek fans (four of them are the type that mock it) who have expressed interest in this new movie because of the recasting of the main characters. Yes, it's entirely anecdotal evidence, but as I've seen it personally, it has an effect.

I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree on this.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:44 pm

I guess I'll believe it when I see it.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:04 pm

If they make another movie based on the 24th century, I think they should not make it exclusively TNG, DS9, or Voyager. I think they really limit themselves when they think along those lines. They should pick the best story idea they can find and then choose their characters from whatever series accordingly.
Writing as TrekPyro.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:14 pm

But that would make sense.
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:20 pm

They should hire a "director of common sense".
Writing as TrekPyro.

TSara
Captain
Captain

Postby TSara » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:16 am

CoffeeCat wrote:They should hire a "director of common sense".

That would be the "logical" thing to do. Vulcan WTF

But as we have seen the last few years with Trek's powers at be they have been far from anything but logical.

*sigh*
"It can giggle all it wants, but the galaxy isn't gettin' any of our bourbon." -Trip to Malcolm Shuttlepod One

Archer: You missed T'Pol's latest bout with chopsticks.
Trip: Damn, dinner and a show.- Silent Enemy

http://www.myspace.com/hylndlas

http://tsara80.livejournal.com/

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:39 am

I'd actually like a movie based off of "Avatar" books that doesn't ruin Dax's character.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:59 am

Ah, but as we've all learned (those of us here, anyway) thanks to the clowns who gave us the "valentine", what we'd like is rarely what we get.

Dammit.

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Hondafan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Hondafan » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:14 pm

I just wish that the would fix the Trip thing and Trip an T'Pol should be married. I am not looking forward to a reboot of Trek. If they want to make a movie make one that starts fresh not rehashing the old TOS. Enough is Enough.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:07 pm

CoffeeCat wrote:They should hire a "director of common sense".

In Hollywood? Where would they find one?

Sig by Chrisis1033.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:22 pm

yeah, they'd need the "director" to tell them to go look outside Hollywood to hire someone. They're screwed, aren't they.
Writing as TrekPyro.

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”