Any hope for the New Star Trek movie?

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

evcake
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: Any hope for the New Star Trek movie?

Postby evcake » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:02 pm

CX wrote:The general public is anti-Trek. They make fun of it, and they make fun of the people who watch it. Therefore, only the same people who have always watched the movies and the series will watch this one too. Even if this movie is freakin' awesome, I severely doubt it'll do any better than say First Contact or ST6 did.

How easy it is to forget that one is part of a dispised minority. Laughing

Seeing Spock recast might be too much for me. There can be only one.
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:08 pm

"Despised" is a little strong, don't you think? Mocked, perhaps, but not despised. Rapists are despised. Child molesters are despised. Trek fans? Not so much. Cool
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:17 pm

Hyperbole, intended to emphasize the contrast between the community and the cold, cruel world. Settle for "scorned?" Very Happy

Banner by JadziaKathryn

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:23 pm

evcake wrote:
CX wrote:The general public is anti-Trek. They make fun of it, and they make fun of the people who watch it. Therefore, only the same people who have always watched the movies and the series will watch this one too. Even if this movie is freakin' awesome, I severely doubt it'll do any better than say First Contact or ST6 did.

How easy it is to forget that one is part of a dispised minority. Laughing

Seeing Spock recast might be too much for me. There can be only one.

And Captain Kirk. No one but Shatner can be Captain Kirk. I don't care how good the actor is or how bad Shatner is - it doesn't matter - he put a lot of himself into Captain Kirk and I think the character would be missing something if he was recast.
Writing as TrekPyro.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:43 pm

You are so right. Very Happy

Banner by JadziaKathryn

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:20 pm

After seeing the Borne movies, I have no problems with Matt Damon as a young Kirk. Gary Sinise is my ick for McCoy. I'm indifferent about Spock, and my main concern there is that they can get someone who at least somewhat resembles young Nimoy, and who can do a decent job at delivering the lines like Nimoy did.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:34 pm

I've never seen any Matt Damon movies so I wouldn't know.
Writing as TrekPyro.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:51 am

CoffeeCat wrote:I've never seen any Matt Damon movies so I wouldn't know.

Both Bourne movies (The Bourne Identity. The Bourne Supremacy) are really good (if very different from the book) and I've heard really positive things about his work in The Good Shepherd as well...
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:55 am

I'll check them out.
Writing as TrekPyro.

Mitchell
Commander
Commander

Postby Mitchell » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:45 am

Confused Im not to hopefull at all. Mainly cause Im still hopin for a 2nd desent TNG movie featuring my beloved Ent-E. An I beleave the TOS came to an end for me with The Undiscovered Country. Anything after that, (Not counting the lil bit of show time it got in Generations,) is Over kill IMO.

Pluss a recast of the 3 main characters, dont quite sit to well with me. Confused

I was far more interested in the rumored Rommie War movie, then this Remake/prequel thing their workin on now. Wink Besides I doubt any actor in H-wood could ever over act like the Shat can. Laughing
TnT I love em. Very Happy

Jedikatie
Commander
Commander

Postby Jedikatie » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:11 pm

The only Matt Damon movie I've ever seen all the way through is Dogma myself. He did pretty good in that.

Still I am not fond of the whole 'reboot' concept, nor I am a fan of J.J. Abrams' work... haven't seen anything by him that I've ever felt the least desire to watch. Maybe that will change when it gets closer to the time of release for the movie, but right now, I wouldn't spend the cash on it.
Was this the army that invaded your country, ma'am? No, officer, they were taller than that...

How about this one? I'm not sure--get them to march up and down a bit...

(From Terry Pratchett's Jingo)

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:20 pm

I got a free movie ticket last Christmas that I haven't used yet. Was going to use it on Spiderman 3 'till I found out it was a bummer. I probably wouldn't spend the cash either, but I might see it in the theater this time for the hell of it.
Writing as TrekPyro.

Hondafan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Hondafan » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:33 pm

I personally think this movie will backfire on them. BnB pissed off the fans to the point where the fan base is sooo fragmented that it is doubtful that they can produce a movie that will appeal to the base and bring in new viewers. Its the bottom line that counts and from what I have heard this movie might do better than nemesis but not by much.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:34 pm

Sigh, I will go see a Star Trek movie no matter what people are saying about it. Once. I will see it only once if it is really bad. If it is good, I might see it again in the theater and buy the DVD when it comes out.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:49 am

And even if it is bad, I still will love it. Quietly..y'know, to myself (if it's really bad), but really, for me Trek can do no wrong. If you can accept the Gorn creature on TOS, you just suspend disbelief and become addicted. The Beebs have tested my total acceptance theory a few times, of course, but in general......

Weird. I have 19 hours of *random* music on my playlist right now and I log on for five minutes and the long version of Faith of the Heart starts after I log on. Weird. Staaaaaar Treeeeek!

(Faith of the Heart: another thing I secretly and shamefully liked whilst others around me squealed and wailed. Husband parodies it horribly and dramatically {to which I usually shriek: don't make fun of my SHOW! He never listens.})
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”