Any hope for the New Star Trek movie?

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Hondafan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Any hope for the New Star Trek movie?

Postby Hondafan » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:23 pm

Im not sure if I can make myself get excited over new trek after I was really dissappointed in the way that Stra Trek has been handled lately. I think that there is some fan fic that is leaps and bounds better than the "canon"trek out there. Whats everyone opinion?

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: Any hope for the New Star Trek movie?

Postby Rigil Kent » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:51 pm

I am mostly indifferent towards it since I, like a lot of people here, would prefer to see an Enterprise-based movie that would
  • Give the series a proper send off, and
  • Undo that travesty of a "finale."
Unfortunately, I'm enough of a realist to recognize that such a thing isn't going to happen since ENT was so poorly received by a snobbish clique of Trek fans and did so poorly in ratings (although, as an aside, it's interesting that nuBSG, which is consistently raved about critically, has always had about the same number of viewers that ENT did). So, from a financial standpoint, I understand why the studio wants to do a new movie that has names more familiar to the general public, even it's disappointing at that the Trek show that actually brought me back to the franchise is getting short shrift.

To me, Shatner is Kirk, Nimoy is Spock, et. all, so it's going to be really hard for me to see new actors portraying these characters. I'm also not that big a fan of JJ Abrams's (sp?) work, so that obviously hampers my ability to get excited about the new movie.

The way I see it, after failures like Nemesis and the poorly received Enterprise, this movie will have to be a financial blockbuster that has critical and rave reviews. Otherwise, I anticipate that it will be the last Trek movie for ten years or so.

But, that's just my humble opinion.

As an aside, I saw this screen manip of Zachary Quinto (Sylar on Heroes) as Spock on a site that indicated he is trying to get the job. Simply based on appearance, I've gotta say that I like it...

"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:49 pm

I'm pretty indifferant to it as well. I figure that Bermanga doesn't have anything to do with it this time around so it might not be *that* bad.
Writing as TrekPyro.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:35 pm

Unless they throw us ENT fans a bone, I doubt that I will even bother to watch it.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:40 pm

Yep. The least they could do in the movie is make a passing suggestion that Tucker didn't *really* die.
Writing as TrekPyro.

TSara
Captain
Captain

Postby TSara » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:27 pm

CoffeeCat wrote:Yep. The least they could do in the movie is make a passing suggestion that Tucker didn't *really* die.

Amen to that!

I know this is going to sound so typical.....but honestly it's Trek....when it comes out I'll go see it. Gotta try to get my fix somehow.

*shrug*

I figure it must be due to desperation.....Since Enterprise got canceled there isn't any new trek out......and I figure I've read a good chunk of the fan fiction on the web.

Honestly....I'm getting very antsy.

I'm hoping going to Shoreleave (and possibly Cherri Hill) will help.
"It can giggle all it wants, but the galaxy isn't gettin' any of our bourbon." -Trip to Malcolm Shuttlepod One

Archer: You missed T'Pol's latest bout with chopsticks.
Trip: Damn, dinner and a show.- Silent Enemy

http://www.myspace.com/hylndlas

http://tsara80.livejournal.com/

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:33 pm

I'll probably go see it for the same reason. I can't resist anything Star Trek for some reason. It's like the saying goes...

"Star Trek: Even when it's bad, it's good!"

(well, unless it's *the_abomination*)
Writing as TrekPyro.

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:38 pm

I want to see an Enterprise movie not aTOS reboot with new actors playing Kirk, Spock and McCoY. I'm less than thrilled with changing TOS around and the writers think it's the cool hip happening way to do remake the Trek movie franchise. I don't like the idea that Abrams remaking of the original series and changing everything around to what they think it should be like.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:39 pm

Well, I'm in the minority, I guess (no surprise. I usually am it seems.) Aside from First Contact, I didn't watch any of the TNG movies in the theaters, and actually skipped the last couple of TOS movies as well (I think that the fourth one was the last one I saw in the theater.) I ultimately caught them on HBO or DVD (and I'm still irked that I paid good money for Nemesis), but I didn't go out of my way to actually watch them.

But then, I'm not what one would consider a "good" Trek fan, so unless I really like what I see in the trailers (providing they actually make this movie instead of tying it up in preproduction for a decade), it's entirely up in the air whether I'll go see it or not.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

TSara
Captain
Captain

Postby TSara » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:46 pm

CoffeeCat wrote:I'll probably go see it for the same reason. I can't resist anything Star Trek for some reason. It's like the saying goes...

"Star Trek: Even when it's bad, it's good!"

(well, unless it's *the_abomination*)

*the_abomination* Censored! me off too...but I did like some parts of it.

Although killing off my beloved Trip really ticked me off to say the least.

I did enjoy the Charter Signing scene...as well as some of the interaction between T'Pol and Trip.....although IF I had written the episode they would have been together and married... to hell with Star Fleet Regulations.

Bah. Bitch
"It can giggle all it wants, but the galaxy isn't gettin' any of our bourbon." -Trip to Malcolm Shuttlepod One

Archer: You missed T'Pol's latest bout with chopsticks.
Trip: Damn, dinner and a show.- Silent Enemy

http://www.myspace.com/hylndlas

http://tsara80.livejournal.com/

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:49 pm

Rigil Kent wrote:As an aside, I saw this screen manip of Zachary Quinto (Sylar on Heroes) as Spock on a site that indicated he is trying to get the job. Simply based on appearance, I've gotta say that I like it...

Cast him as a Vulcan in the next series. The hell with Spock. Give that hottie his own character.
Writing as TrekPyro.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:59 pm

I may use him as a Romulan in my Endeavour series .. just like Jonathan Rhys Meyers from the ongoing Tudors show....

Sig by Chrisis1033.

kalysto
Cadet
Cadet

Postby kalysto » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:20 pm

I have little to no hope for the movie with Abrams at the helm. I suppose I'm still disappointed by how quickly he let Alias slide down the toilet.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:17 pm

I wrote about this movie in my blog a while ago. I haven't changed my opinion since then. Confused
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:18 pm

I'm playiing "wait and see" with this one. I'm slightly optimistic because JJ Abrahms is helming it, but while he's said he's going to respect continuity and all that, I've heard that statement before and it turned out not to be true, and with some of the reports that have been coming out I'm a little worried.

I'd actually like a DS9 movie myself, or a mixed TNG/DS9 movie that passes the torch to the DS9 cast. An ENT movie would be good too. Frankly I think they're making a TOS movie for the wrong reasons, because they have this notion that it will garner more attention that way because of the name recognition, but it'll be the same people going to this one as every other movie, with only a few new people, like always.

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”