Thoughts on Koss?

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: Thoughts on Koss?

Postby Silverbullet » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:24 am

Double post. I just re watched Home. Like Harbinger there were too many things going on.

Anyway, When T'Les handed T'Pol the letter she seemed to know what wa in it. she said to T'Pol (with a hard look on her face) you are going to answer his letter or something like that. Then she said that T'Pol should meet with Koss, again with a very hard ook on her face.

Koss, when Trip answred the door and Koss was standing before Trip He was a head taller than Trip. (Conner says he is a shade under five feet eleven inches. This would make Koss about six foot four a head being about five inches in length. But when Koss is talking to T'Pol in the garden she comes up over his shoulder and up to his chin. (Jolene is five feet four inches) this would make Koss about five foot eight inches. A diferece there. I have often thought the Koss in the door way was wearing lifts in his shoes and his shoulders had padding making them seem wider. This gives the impression that he would make mincemeat out of Trip in a fight.

T'Les doesn't look at T'Pol while talking to her after T'Pol interupts her meditation. she has her head turned away from t'Pol. In fact T'Pol has to move around to sit in front of T'les while she is turned.

T'Pol again says she is blamed for the destruction of the Monestary. she never says that she was ordered by Archer to do what she did. T'Pol must know she is innocent but says nothing about that to T'Les. Again T'Les badmouths a relationship between T'Pol and Trip. she says that it is because of Tucker that T'Pol has changed.

In the end T'Les seems to have changed her mind about Trip but at the weeding her look is of satisfaction.

Koss seened weak when he was talking with T'Pol in the garden. He seemed to be relying on his father for everything. Even to saying that if she marries hm his father can get T'Les reinstated. Koss never seem to say that he really wants T'Pol but that his father can help her mother if she gives in to his Blalckmail. At no time does Koss look like he is his own man. Even at the wedding his look is not one of a man marrying the female he wants but is doing a duty.

T'Les knows that her daughter is involved romantialy with Trip and would prefer him to Koss. Mama expects T'Pol to make a sacrifice for her but does not want to make a sacrifice for her daughters happiness even though she is uncertain about it. T'Pol is supposed to be an adult why doesn't T'Les treat her like one. It is T'Les who is being selfish.

I see that Mike Sussman wrote the episode. He is a A/Tp man to the core.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:46 am

What I want to know is if T'Pol supposedly thinks Koss is a bad dude why doesn't she snarl at him the way she snarled about the VHC? I think its the VHC that got the brunt of her ire. Not poor Koss.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:27 pm

Wg, where does the VHC come in to the Koss discussion. In order to discuss Koss we have to bring in the Episode Home. Cannnot leave it out. also with T'les apparently in league with Koss. When T'Pol say sformer fiance T'Les says that is debatetable. So home yes but where does the VHC fit in?

SB

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:33 pm

The VHC is gunning for T'Pol, so they sacked T'Les, giving T'Les the ammunition to manipulate the situation and guilt trip T'Pol. If the VHC hadn't been so ticked off at T'Pol, they wouldn't have attacked T'Les and T'Les would have no situation to manipulate. As for Koss, I think a plausible explanation for him is that his parents and T'Les set him up as much as T'Pol.

But you should go to the Vulcan Arc thread in the TnT forum.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:02 pm

WG, got you. I keep mixing up the VHC. I think of the VHC as the Vulcan High command and use the "Vuclan High coulcil" rather than the intials VHC to reduce the confusion in my mind. So, yes they were gunnning for T'Pol. Still wonder why T'Pol does not insist that she was ordered by Archer to turn over the PAAD to Shran. It was not her idea or desire to but she was following orders. Archer is responsible for the P'Jem destruction not her.

If soval wa able to do mind meld he could clear T'Pol by melding with her and seeing that she was just obeyin g Archers order and was innocent. In shadows of P'Jem and other episodes T'Pol is blamed for the desctruction and Archer doesn't seem to speak up to clear T'Pol or if he does he is ignored.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:24 pm

In any case, now that I've seen the episode I really think Koss believed T'Pol knew about her mother's problems.

Fics

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:01 pm

Actually, I like it when Star Trek gives very little info on a character. It allows fan fic writers to play with the character in an abundance of different ways.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:24 pm

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, Linda. I'm okay with not getting info on characters who are irrelevant to the story (the background people like Rostov, for example), but for characters like Koss who are driving a major plot element require more info and motivation for me, especially when their actions make no logical sense. Otherwise, they come across as nothing more than a one dimensional character who could be replaced with a cardboard cutout.

JMHO
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:37 pm

Does anyone have a screenshot of Koss' face after T'Pol says "My mother retired"?

Fics

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:44 pm

Hmm, I see your point, Rigil. I guess we really should have had more from canon on Koss, as he caused pivotal events in the series. I did think that I saw enough in the brief portrayal of the character to build my opinion of him and embellish upon it. In a sense, it is exaspirating that most fans did not see the same things I saw, but it is fun also to read the different takes on Koss in the fan fiction stories. Koss has caused some interesting and strong emotional reactions among the fans.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:56 pm

I like your thoughts Linda! :D

Fics

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:28 pm

In the Episode I believed that Koss was not sincere. Also thought he did want T'Pol to be happy but on her terms with who she wanted. When he rang that Gong he didn't look happy even for a Vulcan. He seemed to be doing a distasteful duty. When he released her it was too quick and too easy. His excuse that her Mother was dead was hollow. He had fulfilled his part of the bargain by getting her position back. T'Pol had to do her part and he could see that wasn't in the cards but he seemed to hold all of the Aces.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:49 pm

Silverbullet, I saw much different things in the expressions on Koss's face in the episodes than you did, I guess. Koss's expressions are what gave me my ideas about his character being basically good and that he was honorable by Vulcan standards. I saw more than duty in those expressions; I saw caring, concern, and in the end - grief, as he released her from their marriage. Rewatch the episodes he appears in and look really closely at his face.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:46 am

Linda, will try. However, being blind in one eye makes it a tad difficult at times.

I brought up the other day the difference in hieght of Koss between when he was standing in front of Trip at the door and later when he was talking to T'Pol in the Garden. At the Door he was Taller than Trip by almost a head but talking to t'Pol (Jolene, who I understand is Five foot four inches in hieght) she came up to his chin. Conner is five foot eleven inches in hieght. so you can see the difference. But no comment on that.

also not much on how hard the Mother looked when she handed T'Pol te letter and insisted she answeer it and said it was debateable if Koss was a Fiance or not. the look when the Mother told T'Pol she had to meet Koss in th garden. Also when the Mother was talking to T'Pol when tPol interrupted her meditation she wouldn't look at T'Pol while speaking to her Mother turned her back to T'Pol when speaking.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:04 am

Like I said when T'Pol tells Koss her mother retired, I thought he looked completely confused like... "What? Don't you know what happened?"

That's said I'm not sure HIS intent was to blackmail, HOWEVER, the parents in the situation both Koss' and T'Les might have taken advantage of a bad situation with the Vulcan High Command, and manipulated both Koss and T'Pol into doing what they thought was right. Even then, I don't think T'Les and possibly Koss' parents intended to harm anyone. But it didn't work out that way.

Fics

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”