Alien Culture

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Alien Culture

Postby honeybee » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:25 am

Attempting to bring together a few of the going thread, I thought I'd start a thread discussing the nature and purpose of alien cultures in trek -

Obviously, we've got alien humanoid cultures that are closer to being human than other. Vulcans, Andorians, Denobulans, Klingons, Bjorans, Cardassians. . .the list goes on. Each seems to have been based on some facet of human culture but be made alien - for both story purposes as well as to allow us to explore non human culture, which is part of the joy of being a sci fi fan. I do think that the best of the trek humanoid races - Klingons, Vulcans and Bajorans drew their inspiration from from various human cultures but rapidly evolved into something different and separate from anything Earthly (all the better to explore stories that enlighten human foibles). Vulcan culture is probably the most unique and alien - but does have similarities to Buddhist, Taoists and even - thanks to Leonard Nimoy - ancient Jewish mystics. Although, none of those traditions reject emotion in the way of the Vulcans, making them alien.

I've always thought Andorians, especially in the ENT era, were the intellectual opposites of Vulcans.

Klingons drew their inspiration - I have read - from both Viking and Samurai tribal/feudal culture but have evolved into a fundamentally alien culture - one that provides a rival to the high civilization of the Federation.

I know Ron Moore stated that the Bajorans could be representative of the Irish or the Palestinians or any old culture suffering under occupation - but removed from Earth politics so that the stories could explore implications without stepping on political toes.

Meanwhile, there are the aliens - like the Tholians - that are not descendants of the Preservers. That are far removed from being humanoid - and are therefore more different than the still different non humans.

But I do think that one needs to respect the fact that each of the humanoid cultures that evolved from the seeded DNA of the Preservers needs to be respected as its own, unique culture. Forcing human values/mores on them is merely xenophobia - the kind of which GR rejected over and over. That doesn't make them - or the non humanoid aliens - less valuable or entitled to rights or privileges. Heck, it doesn't even make them less interesting. It makes them more interesting.

*edited to correct the Swedish spelling of bajoran to the proper English one :lol:
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Re: Alien Culture

Postby Alelou » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:43 am

This is a very thoughtful analysis. I went in the opposite direction (i.e. stupid) and wondered if you could categorize Star Trek aliens as exaggerated versions of the stereotypes we all know and love. For example,

Romulans: Slimy Machiavelian politicians (or, in the new movie, biker gangs. Maybe goth biker gangs.)
Klingons: Big mean dumb jocks
Vulcans: Honor students/geeks/"nice" girls
Andorians: High school guys suffering from excess testosterone who try to pick fights and do wheelies
Tellarites: ?? Overweight shaggy kids with chips on their shoulders?
Bajorans: Girls who are so cool they sneer artistically at everything
The Borg: Cheerleaders (just kidding)
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:45 am

honeybee wrote:But I do think that one needs to respect the fact that each of the humanoid cultures that evolved from the seeded DNA of the Preservers needs to be respected as its own, unique culture. Forcing human values/mores on them is merely xenophobia - the kind of which GR rejected over and over. That doesn't make them - or the non humanoid aliens - less valuable or entitled to rights or privileges. Heck, it doesn't even make them less interesting. It makes them more interesting.

*applauds*

The bottom line: if the alien cultures were meant to be exactly like us, then it would be pretty damn pointless to make them "alien".
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:52 am

I'll add to your fine list Alelou:

Cardassians: Punks who become Brownshirts - total jackboots.
Denobulans: The pudgy freelove types that hang out at the Ren Faire
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Postby Alelou » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:49 pm

honeybee wrote:Denobulans: The pudgy freelove types that hang out at the Ren Faire

LOL. That's it!
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:19 pm

Awesome topic... OK I'll do my serious list first than my "stupid one"...

Vulcans: a curious mix of eastern philosophy cultures and Ancient Greek cultures. With a dash of Jewish mysticism, and ancient Egyptian influences.

Romulans: Soviet ideals mixed with strong Ancient Roman culture.

Bajorans: Actually I saw them as a cross between the French in WW2 and India actually. Irish never, ever occured to me... I guess its because I am Irish (mostly). Interesting.

Klingons: Everything I ever read said, the jumping off point for them was the Samurai and then later some Viking elements. But now I just think they're so unique you can't put a humanized "label" on them.

Andorians: Pre-Soviet Russians, with a mix of Scottish bravado! They are rapidly becoming a source of obsession for me.

Cardassians: They're ST's Nazis, who turned out to be the errend boys of the Dominion, but yeah they're the Nazis. They couldn't have made it more obvious if they tatooed it on their foreheads.

Silly list!

Vulcans: Stuffed shirts capable of delivering great zingers on the unexpecting.

Klingons: Rule the Hood!

Andorians: Party animals that don't like rejection.

Bajorans: Live and let Live spiritualists.

Rommies: Paranoid, control freaks.

Cardies: Bullies with delusions of Grandure.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”