Older women, younger men

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Pegmumm
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Older women, younger men

Postby Pegmumm » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:47 pm

To Distracted:
You and only you are the one who defines your characters. If it doesn't "feel" right, then don't pair them.

I would tend to agree that if a character can't be trusted... the age issue is moot.

peg

justTripn
Consigliere
Show On Map: No

Postby justTripn » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:29 pm

I agree with peg. Only you and Black n' Blue know the motivations of these characters. Don't change them because of reader complaints. Also I did the age difference thing in Brainstorm. I did my take on this issue, now you do yours. We will all learn something (yes, if I get my self over there and read it :?). My critique of that story: It is so long and my attention span is so short. :().
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:42 pm

:lol: :lol:

Yeah, but just think of it this way. Since you're starting so late in the game you've got the equivalent of an entire novel to read before you have to wait for the next installment. ;-)

As far as comments about Lerteiran go, BnB and I have no idea what's going to happen next, so comments definitely can make a difference. Our reader who mistrusts Damin might have good reason to mistrust him. Or not. I guess it just depends on how I'm feeling when I get to that point. I'm just trying to get a feel for the audience, you know? I wouldn't want another "Charlie" hullaballoo on my hands. All that emotional turmoil in the comments thread nearly gave me an ulcer the last time. :roll:
Image sig by chrisis1033

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:00 pm

Stand your ground. I would LOVE another "Charlie." It was fresh, daring, and well executed. :)
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:48 am

I second that!

Lerterian (sorry, I can never remember how to spell that) has the looooongest chapters. They're good, they're rewarding, the story is compelling, and I definitely recommend it, but I sometimes find myself wishing they came in smaller chunks. I think I might still have to go back and finish the last one. I can't remember. (That's real life's fault, not the story's.)

I did read the Selra and Damin thing (again, sorry if my spelling's off). I don't think it grossed me out, exactly, but I definitely felt that I would have to shift gears to actually take the two of them seriously, and wasn't entirely sure I wanted to. Maybe it's agism, or maybe it's just not seeing them as terribly well-suited to each other, or maybe it's just having to adjust my expectation that this particular 'ship was there for comic relief.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:50 am

Yeah. I guess we did play it for laughs at first. I'm the first person to admit that they make a strange couple. The strangest couples can work, though.

A real life example that comes to mind is the florist who did my wedding and his spouse. The man is flamboyantly effeminate. Considering only his mannerisms and his profession would lead one to certain assumptions. They would all be wrong. He's married to a tough no-nonsense woman who's much more butch than he is. They have a cute little girl and a wonderful marriage. He's the "mommy" though, in virtually every way, and she's the "daddy". They turn heads everywhere they go. People laugh, but it WORKS. Some people are just lucky enough to find their other half.

Not that I'm going for that with Damin/Sehlra... although the more I think about it the more I see ways in which they complement each other and fulfill each other's needs. Hmmmm.
Image sig by chrisis1033

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:17 am

OK why am I not getting e-mails again???????? Dis Charlie is still one of the best I've ever read! And one of the first if I remember right... Stop doubting. Remember Thomas?
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:16 pm

Heh. I'm not sure how Thomas doubting the existence of a miracle until he'd seen it himself applies to this situation, but I appreciate the support. Sometimes I just think my mind works differently than most other people's. My husband hated "Charlie", too. Accused me of having a secret hankering to cheat on him with younger men, IIRC. It never occurred to me that he might take it that way. I was just trying to treat the clone like a person instead of a source of spare parts, to give him his moment in the sun. I tried to explain that to everyone but most people were too offended by the events in the story to step back and look at things from the clone's POV. I write for others' enjoyment, not just my own. If I'm practically the only one who likes the story it sort of defeats the purpose of writing it, but if I don't think like everyone else I have a hard time predicting what will be offensive to my readers. 'Tis a puzzlement.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:23 pm

Oh boy. I think I'm lucky my husband doesn't read fanfic.

Next time tell him no, you have a secret hankering to cheat on him with Trip. 8)
Image.Image

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:27 pm

Probably this story did appear slightly disagreeable and disrespectful towards Trip.
And, somehow, even towards T'Pol.
Sorry, Dis.
At least, that was my personal perception. :dunno:
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:33 pm

Sorry Dis the thing about Thomas was my weird smartass sense of humor talking. The point is I LOVED Charlie. And I don't see how your hubby could think it was a manifestation of a subconcious desire to cheat on him with a younger man. I just thought you had a brilliant totally sci-fi Vulcan way to keep Trip alive. Very Search For Spock in a way. Don't doubt yourself because a few people don't get what you're writing. Be it a cheating death scenario or a young guy persuing an older woman. The ratio of people commenting and people reading is staggering. There could be 1000s of people that love these unique stories and not commenting. Bottom line... YOU ROCK! Even if readers aren't telling you so.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:35 pm

I think it took a science fiction idea and thoroughly explored its moral implications. It was very original and heartfelt, and I'm very happy I had a chance to read it.
Image.Image

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:38 pm

Listen to Alelou she is very wise.

Fics

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:26 pm

I will make one last observation, then I will shut up, because I know that this could take a bad road.
In that story, Dis, we have seen a T'Pol who gave herself to someone who is not Trip.
I could make other remarks, and I could debate about the way T'Pol did that.
But probably it's better I don't go beyond.
For me, though, that one hasn't been a good way to fix things.
For me, it isn't enough that a story is well written, because, as for that, you have no comparison.
For me, the story has to be liked.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:30 pm

Well there are people who do like the origional and creative things that can be imagined in this sci-fi world we all love to inhabit. Now I have to look at wedding dresses.

Fics

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”