We have a VOY thread. How about DS9?

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

auroraborealis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: We have a VOY thread. How about DS9?

Postby auroraborealis » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:26 am

Yeah I never got the thing with weasley. So he met this super smart alien being and then, to us a stargate term, assended? I never thought he was really anything speacial.

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:40 pm

I think not seeing Wesley as special counts as liking him, since most fans rooted for his violent death. :lol:
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

auroraborealis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby auroraborealis » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:57 pm

honeybee wrote:I think not seeing Wesley as special counts as liking him, since most fans rooted for his violent death. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Linda
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Postby Linda » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:20 pm

Yes, having even the "evil" characters display some "positive" traits made DS9 complex and very compelling. Almost like real life. And I liked that Jake did not follow in his father's footsteps but that instead his best childhood friend (and a Ferengi to boot) did join Starfleet. There were so many more "main" characters than the usual Star Trek series central six. Some people think it was a "dark" series, but I really enjoyed the complex problems and mixed good/bad nature of the characters.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:56 pm

It's really lonely being a Wesley fan.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:09 pm

I normally hate kids on Trek, but I actually found Jake and Nog tolerable. Their friendship wasn't bad either (self-sealing stem bolts, anyone?).
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:49 pm

At a small ST convention a few years back, I had fun drinking with "Nog", "Malcolm", and "Admiral Forrest" in the hotel bar. "Admiral Forrest" brought down a bottle of wine from his room to share. I didn't realize how uniquely fortunate a fan I was, because it was just happenstance that me, my husband, and I think three other fans met them so casually. I am glad I took a couple photos of that, but after a couple of drinks, I don't look my best, yet the actors looked just fine. We talked music, politics, the difficulty of finding acting jobs, and other stuff for well on two hours. The subject of stem bolts never came up, though, LOL. These guys were so matter-of-fact that it was a just-plain-folks sort of evening though underneath I was feeling WOW-this is fantastic!, somebody pinch me. No one pinched me...darn.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

crystalswolf
Commander
Commander

Postby crystalswolf » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:29 am

I LOVED what DS9 had become. The first 2 seasons were sad but thanks to the influence of Babylon 5, each season after improved.

The reasons listed for not liking the characters are actually the reasons why I loved them. Just another example of how people have different preferences.

Although I did not like Bashir and hated what they did with O'Brien whenever Keiko and kids were around, I did love his bromance with O'Brien. Almost forgot about that.

I think what they did with the Wesley character was a crime. Total lack of imagination if they could think of nothing more than having him squeaky clean and perfect. What a waste!

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:38 pm

WarpGirl wrote:It's really lonely being a Wesley fan.

You did see Will Weaton, playing himself, on a recent episode of Big Bang Theory, right? Seems Sheldon was a big Will Weaton fan too. Wonderful episode.

I also loved the bromance between Julian and O'Brien. I read some wonderful cannon-freindly fanfic on it (that is, not slash). Best line in that bromance (the onscreen version): Julian and O'Brien are vitually running around inside the brain of a Section 31 operative and realize they are stuck and may die (them stuck in the virtual world of the guy's brain and their bodies lying in sickbay). So O'Brien and Julian are facing death and O'Brien says "I love my wife." Julian says, "Yeah, but I think you like me more." O'Brien just says, "I love my wife." But doesn't contradict Julian. (If I remember correctly, which I do. ;) ) It was perfect! I laughed out load.

The Jake/Nog friendship was just right too. I remember someone advising Benjamin Sisko to just tell his son this or that. And he told that person that he imagined Nog had alot more influence with Jake at the moment. It was very realistic. They let Jake grow up at exactly the rate that kids really do grow up, with all the awkward milestones and little victories.

OH! There was another great moment. In the Siskos father-son relationship: They are on the that Bajoran sail ship that Benjamin Sisko made, like on a father-son camping trip. Jake starts talking about his writing. He's asked his father to read one of his stories. The father says, "Well it's pretty good considering you're writing about all these things you haven't experienced yet." Jake says nothing. Then you see the father panic: "You haven't experienced these things??!!!" Jake: "Dad, that's what I wanted to talk to you about. . . ." Dad is frozen. Jake: "Kidding!!!" LOL . . .
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:51 pm

In the "Strange New Worlds" fanfic story I read, Julian and Miles are in the holodeck reenacting the Battle of the Alamo yet again, when they realize a way they can actually win. So they go to carry out this plan and at the climax of the story they are sitting in the rocks and each has a clear shot on Santa Anna and neither will take the shot, so they start bickering with each other over this. Neither really wants to win this game because then it will be over! LOL . . .
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

crystalswolf
Commander
Commander

Postby crystalswolf » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:12 pm

justTripn wrote:
WarpGirl wrote:It's really lonely being a Wesley fan.

I'm a fan of what I think Wesley should have been, all in my head. :banghead:

justTripn wrote:So O'Brien and Julian are facing death and O'Brien says "I love my wife." Julian says, "Yeah, but I think you like me more." O'Brien just says, "I love my wife." But doesn't contradict Julian. (If I remember correctly, which I do. ;) ) It was perfect! I laughed out load.

I LOVED that scene. My favorite, though, is during Worf's bachelor party. Groomsmen dangling, starved, and roasted alive, "I can see it clearly now. I'm going to kill Worf" and then both chanting "kill Worf, yes, kill Worf"

justTripn wrote:OH! There was another great moment. In the Siskos father-son relationship: They are on the that Bajoran sail ship that Benjamin Sisko made, like on a father-son camping trip. Jake starts talking about his writing. He's asked his father to read one of his stories. The father says, "Well it's pretty good considering you're writing about all these things you haven't experienced yet." Jake says nothing. Then you see the father panic: "You haven't experienced these things??!!!" Jake: "Dad, that's what I wanted to talk to you about. . . ." Dad is frozen. Jake: "Kidding!!!" LOL . . .

Jake Sisko almost fell into the Wesley Crusher crime but they corrected some of their mistakes, thank goodness.

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Postby Lady Rainbow » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:39 pm

I really liked what they did w/Jake's character. They showed him growing up (literally) in front of our eyes.

And the Miles/Julian "bromance". :lol: It was funny how two guys of such opposite natures got to be such good friends. (But you saw that w/the Kirk/McCoy/Spock friendship and the Malcolm/Trip friendship, too. Kinda reminds me of the McKay/Beckett friendship on Stargate Atlantis too.)

One of my favorite characters on the show is Kira Nerys. A strong woman w/out her being a complete b*tch! She had a chip on her shoulder at the very beginning, but she changed by the end of the series. (Plus she ended up working with Cardassians like Garak-and Dukat-and was even friends w/Dukat's daughter...granted Ziyal was also half-Bajoran, but still.)
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”