Carbon Creek, T'Mir and Tellarites

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Navigator
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Carbon Creek, T'Mir and Tellarites

Postby Navigator » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:20 am

First off, this may be in the wrong place and I may be remembering some of this wrong also. I am ashamed to say I didn't go and look all this up. If I remember correctly, a Tellarite freighter picked up the distress call that led, after several months, to T'Mir et al being picked up by the Vulcans from Carbon Creek. My pondering is this. After receiving the distress call, the Tellarites now know there is a habitable and possibly inhabited planet near by; one wonders why they didn't come look. They probably did not have the same non-interference doctrine as the Vulcans. So why wasn't "first contact" about 1960 with the Tellarites? They have seemed to be eager traders and merchants; earth would have been analogous opening the Orient to them. Was earth so deeply located in the Vulcan sphere of influence that they didn't dare make contact (Vulcan Iron Curtain)? Or did they screw up and land somewhere in South Georgia during hog season? (Ya know, Bubba, that last one BBQ'd a might funny.)

Inquiring minds want to know.

Ludmila
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Show On Map: No

Re: Carbon Creek, T'Mir and Tellarites

Postby Ludmila » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:56 am

Tellarite did not be concerned in any business on Earth (in all Star Trek era) in accordance with both Memory Alpha and Memory Beta. I think we may conclude that our planet did not have something valuable for them (dilithium et al). They would sell us something but they could have only the small profit (IMHO, they had some "mirrors" for backward earthlings but we could not give them "gold and jewels"). It was not worth while to irritate Vulcans. The latter might have some scout ship for monitoring the planet after T'Mir's adventures there.

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:43 pm

The Vulcan vessel with T'Mir and the others was a science vessel which took a look because of the Sputnik launch. The Tellarite vessel, that relayed the distress call was a freighter, who just happened to pass earth's vincinity. The Tellarites seem not too interested in science, which might be the reason behind their technological inferiority to the Andorians, which is hinted in "Babel One"

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:54 pm

Kotik, you might ask some other questions about that Episode: How did T-Mir find shoes that fit when all she had put on was a dress she found on a line (with the light shining behind her to uutline that body), Why didn't T-Mir and the other guy put their uniforms back on when the resuce vulcan ship picked them up instead of wearing the Earth clothes they had on? When they were picked up T-Mir had nothing in her hands but at the end of the episode T-Pol goes to her quarters and pulls out a handbag that supposedly T-Mir brought with her when she boarded the resuce ship.

It was a great episode bcause we got T-Pol out that Cat suit in to some decent rags.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:15 pm

Um it's fiction! Therefore all the clothes fit, and you can find a rocking purse. Tellarites are snobby Earth in the 1950's had nothing to offer.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:24 pm

Warpgirl, the way it was presetented in the Episode T-Mir stole the clothes off the line didn't indicarte there were shoes to steal yet she was wearing a perfectly fitting pair of heels when shown walking. Pocketbook,I believe, that T-Pol pulled out of the drawer was supposedly one brought along by T-Mir shen she left Earth. How T-Pol got it is anyones guess but at the end of the Episode I believe that what the writers wanted the viewers to think: T-Pol had a purse that T-Mir carried while she was stranded on Earth. Least that I what I gathered from it. I often wondered that when the guy who stayed behind finally died what would the embalmer think of the Green Blood never mind the pointed Ears. After seeing the Green Blood obviously an autopsy would be perfored and all of the insides with the Heart out in Left field. Yup, that should have been front page news. Strange that neither Trip or Archer had never heard of an alien being discovered that way.

Still Carbon Creek is one of my favorite Episodes because Jolene got to act like a person and dress in clothes rahter than that Catsuit. I did get a kick out of one thiing. when the three vulcans were in their dweleing guess who was doing the dishes?

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:30 am

Again it's TV! :roll: And Mestral probably made sure when he died, he wouldn't be found.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:42 am

Supposeing he had an accient? Like getting run down by a truck? We don't always chose where we die or when or how. Was he going to tie a rope around him and jump into the ocean? Walk off into the wilderness?

Sure it is TV but the show was depicting T-Pol and the guy finding, stealing and wearing clothes. It should have shown them finding shoes too. I liked the Uniforms they wre wearing when they crashed. always wished that T-Pol had been wearing one like that instead of that Catsuit.

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:37 am

I love Carbon Creek as an episode, but even I wonder where T'Mir got those pumps. I just assume they were sitting on the back porch or something. But it is a stretch to think they would be her size. One wonders why the script supervisor didn't say anything about that.

As for Mestral, I'm going to assume he lived a long life and by the time he died it was WWIII and whoever found his body probably had little or no way to tell the world of his alien find. Either that, or there was a government cover up. Remember, Quark was one of the Roswell aliens and Kirk paid more than a few visits to the past. So, I'm going to say that an early version of Section 31 (say the men in black) took care of matters.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:06 am

Well the typical demographic of ST is males 18-35 and YES I HATE THAT! But let's be honest, how many males 18-35 notice what shoes a woman is wearing unless they're sex me heels. Really they don't.

Fics

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:08 pm

Honeybee, as uou I love the Episode, Re Mestral he stayed behind in the 1950's say he was about 60 in vulcan years. His average lifespan would be 200 that would take him in to the 20th centruy and he would probably die at the end of the 20th. WWIII happened much later so it must have ben a government coverup. That would have been something to see. How do you cover up pointed ears and Green blood. someone would have told the newscast for MONEY.

Warpgirl NOT every one is in that demographic. So they might notice thngs like pumps that fit and wonder where they came from. Hell the Dress even fit once T-Mir had it turned around after standing with it just a bit open so us males could see she wasn''t wearing a Bra.

Still seeing JB in clothes and not that Catsuit was great. she looked so good in anything they put on her. Still wonder about that purse though.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:21 pm

Yellow dress washed her out. And I know not all of us are in that demographic, I am not an 18-35 male. What I'm saying is that networks make that group the target audience. Meaning they do everything they can to entice them. And 99% of that group wouldn't care about pumps. Dominatrix boots? THOSE would catch their attention. Sexy stilletoes al la 7of9 those grab attention. Pumps not really. 5 brothers I should know.

Fics

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:17 am

But I will give JB credit for at least making it clear that T'Mir found the shoes uncomfortable. Perhaps it wasn't just the heels - but also that they didn't quite fit!
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:23 am

Could have been I love pumps though.

Fics

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:24 am

WarpGirl wrote:But let's be honest, how many males 18-35 notice what shoes a woman is wearing unless they're sex me heels. Really they don't.

Um, she wore shoes? And I'm 41. :-p
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”