Choose a side (Mirage Universe)

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

In the Earth/Vulcan war, what side do you support?

Vulcans
57%
Humans (and Andorians)
29%
Are you kidding me? Romulans
14%

Total votes: 7

Escriba
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Choose a side (Mirage Universe)

Postby Escriba » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:08 pm

I'm totally, completely, undoubtedly narcissist today. What can I say? I'm low of morale, and when I'm low of morale I need somebody to fix up my ego :D

So, the question stands: whose side you choose in the Earth/Vulcan War? And why (just curious)? And who do you think is going to win :twisted:? I know the question might be difficult, a little manichee and difficult to answer, and that probably you support both sides in a way, but you must choose. C'mon, get involved! :D

To celebrate this poll, I've done a couple of banners:

Pro Vulcan 1
Pro Vulcan 2 (because I didn't know what Vulcan planet was better)
Pro Earth
And as bonus, pro Andoria

Enjoy!

"I mean... well, you know what people call men who wear wigs and gowns, don't you?"
"Yes, miss."
"You do?"
"Yes, miss. Lawyers, miss."

The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett

Distracted
Site Donor

Re: Choose a side (Mirage Universe)

Postby Distracted » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:11 pm

I vote for the Vulcans, because in the MU Humans are just plain evil. Vulcans can at least be reasonable. And I like the way Spock looked in a beard. 8)
Image sig by chrisis1033

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:17 pm

Sorry. I vote for RU. :cry:
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:30 pm

That's not the question, Asso. The question is whether in the MU you'd vote for the Empire and their allies or for the Vulcan rebels to win the war. I'm not sure where the Romulans come in. In the MU I'm not at all sure that the Romulans even split off from the Vulcans. Even it they did, the humans are so eeevil in the MU that they have the Romulans beat 100% for nastiness. I'd bet that once the Romulans found out that the mean ol' humans were beating up on their wimpy cousins, they'd side with the Vulcans and go whup up on the Empire. Now THAT would be a war to watch! :twisted:
Image sig by chrisis1033

Escriba
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Escriba » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:33 pm

Eh... Uh... Distracted, it's Mirage Universe, not Mirror Universe. Mirage is one of my fics. Sorry if I didn't make it clear enough :oops:

"I mean... well, you know what people call men who wear wigs and gowns, don't you?"
"Yes, miss."
"You do?"

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:38 pm

Oops. Sorry. I thought it was just a typo. I guess I don't know, then. Gotta read the story first. 8)
Image sig by chrisis1033

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:41 pm

Boy, advantage Vulcan. I chose Vulcans, as I've always analog-ed Vulcan characters...but one of the things I love about your Mirage Universe is that neither side is the "good" side. Both are wrong and right.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:44 pm

I had understood, Distracted, even before your elucidation.
Simply I wanted to show my personal feeling.
Anyway, every thread here is interesting for me, so I will follow this as the others.
Maybe something intriguing could come out..
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:48 pm

Turns out I was wrong, Asso. Maybe we both need to go read Escriba's story. It's apparently NOT MU. 8)
Image sig by chrisis1033

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:03 am

Hey why not a no side option? What about people who believe that what's right and what's considered "necessary" are two totally seperate things? There is a very famous quote, "War is hell." I go with that. BUT as a justice thing, I want the people who provoked the bloodshed to loose. And frankly I still can't figure out who did that. :dunno:
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:21 am

I choose Vulcan. First of all because Vulcans seems to be fighting for their survival against an mighty enemy and don't want to conquer Earth, it seems to me more a defense strategy. Also Earth has this vibe of a totalitary and tyrant regime with streaks of wrong kind of nationalism (the horror) and taste for conquer.
(On the other hand, I am human, most likely to choose my own species - and Trip is such a cutie in your fic. :roll:) When you read your fic, you have sympathy for people on both sides, trapped in a war.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Escriba
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Escriba » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:03 pm

WarpGirl wrote:Hey why not a no side option? What about people who believe that what's right and what's considered "necessary" are two totally seperate things? There is a very famous quote, "War is hell." I go with that. BUT as a justice thing, I want the people who provoked the bloodshed to loose. And frankly I still can't figure out who did that. :dunno:

I don't konw if this will be of any use, but there is a timetable (read it at your own risk :twisted:):

November 12, 2061 Space refugees land on Earth and are taken in by one of the Human colonies that later will refound San Francisco. The refugees warn them about the “pointy ears” and about their imperialist intentions. Before returning to space, they ask Humans to keep the secret for fear of retaliation against their planet. These Humans create Libera Terra, which is the germ of Terra Prime.

April 5, 2063 First contact between Humans and Vulcans.

December 21, 2069 The Alpha Centaury Colony is founded.

January 5, 2070 Earthfleet is officially created.

March 11, 2071 Esperanza, the first Colony of Humans and Vulcans, created to carry out scientific projects, is founded in Chile. Some Human sectors accuse the colony of being a perfect mechanism of control, to prevent any unexpected scientific advance for them.

April 2, 2072 Projects to create a colony on Vega are brought to a halt when Vulcans deny Humans their schematics for engines that can reach more than Warp 2.

March 10, 2073 The Vega Colony Project has green light. In exchange for their help, Vulcans demand to have a representative among the Earthfleet staff officers.

July 4, 2073 Massive demonstrations around Earth against the “Vulcan Intrusive Politics.”

March 11, 2074 The first Vega Colony is founded. It’s just a small settlement, but Humans see big commerce potential for it.

May 28, 2074 Andorians asks for commerce trade with Earth. Vulcans prevent it.

July 4, 2074 As an anniversary of the last year’s demonstrations, more demonstrations are celebrated against the Vulcans. Many riots happen.

July 15, 2074 The Earth Interstellar Commerce Consortium is created by the Boomers and the colonies to, according to them, protect Humans trade rights. As a first action, they denounce the unfair competition of the Tellarites, thanks to their treaties with the Vulcans. Tellarites and Vulcans pay less taxes on Human colonies’ ports than the own Humans.

July 4, 2075 More demonstrations against Vulcans in which is now called the “Earth Liberation Day.” The Vulcan Consulate in Geneva is attacked by radicals.

September 14, 2075 After repeated denounces of the EICC, the citizens of the Vega Colony deny the entrance of any Tellarite ship.

September 16, 2075 Vulcans officially demand Humans to stop the “rebellion” on Vega Colony.

September 24, 2075 The Administration on Mars publish a press release with a list of all the abusive treaties the Vulcans have forced Humans to sign.
September 25, 2075 Earth Government officially denounces most part of that press release as a “blatant lie.”
September 26, 2075 A Vulcan ship is burnt on Mars. Fortunately, there isn’t any casualty.

October 3, 2075 Somebody leaks the reports of the Earthfleet staff officers’ last reunion. It shows how the Vulcans pressure the Human Admirals to send a flotilla against Vega.
October 4, 2075 The commemorative statue of the First Contact is destroyed by radicals.

October 20, 2075 Some Vulcan ships try to reach the port of Vega by force. The incident ends with two Vulcans and twelve Humans dead. The few Vulcan workers who still were on Vega are put in house arrest, for “their own safety.”
October 21, 2075 An official declaration from Vulcan Government regrets the casualties.
October 22, 2075 Alpha Centaury supports Vega’s rebellion and demands “fair” taxes from alien ships.

November 3, 2075 Vulcan ships block the routes to the two colonies.
November 4, 2075 Earth demands Vulcans to leave the routes free. Vulcans demand Humans to stops the attacks against their citizens and their interests.
November 11, 2075 Incidents between Vulcan and Boomer ships.

December 17, 2075 After some tension and more incidents, the EICC, the Earth Government and the Vulcans reach an agreement to negotiate.

January 1, 2076 A group of paramilitary, later found to be ties to the Army and the Earth Government, kills the Vulcan Ambassador and his entourage.
January 6, 2076 The authors of the attack are arrested.
January 7, 2076 Vulcan Government officially demands the authors to be extradited to Vulcan. Earth denies the petition.
January 9, 2076 Citizens in Vega celebrate demonstrations where they burn Vulcan effigies and they sing canticles like “The best Vulcan is a dead Vulcan” or “Who doesn’t jump is a f*cking Vulcan.” The few Vulcans that were still on Vega are dragged around the streets. They suffer jibes and some minor injuries, some of them are undresses and publically exposed.
January 14, 2076 Vulcan attacks Vega without warning.
January 15, 2076 Earth condemns the attack and demands immediate halt to it.
January 17, 2076 While the attack continues, a recording of a Boomer ship that went to help the colony shows how it was destroyed with civilians inside. The cries of help and the yells while they were incinerated without a chance to escape incense the Earth public opinion. The Earth Government demands an explanation. Vulcans don’t answer.
January 20, 2076 Vulcans stop their attack on Vega.
January 22, 2076 Part of the Vulcan High Command initiates an internal investigation on the attack after discovering some irregularities.

February 8, 2076 There are some secret meetings between Earth representatives and some members of the VHC.

March 16, 2076 Vulcans definitively leave the route to Alpha centaury free.

July 4, 2076 Armed Humans (possibly part of the Army, but it’s difficult to know) enter into the Vulcan Embassy on Earth. They demand the expulsion of every Vulcan on the planet (logistically not so difficult, since most of them are in that Embassy.)
July 5, 2076 Vulcan Government asks to let the hostages free. It also warns about the consequences of damaging them or any other Vulcan.
July 6, 2076 Rumors accuse the Vulcans in “Esperanza”, the Earth/Vulcan Scientific Colony, to be helping Vulcan Government in secret in a plan to put a Vulcan Troop on Earth (that possibly would try to get to the Embassy.) An escalation of violence and cross accusations ends with the Humans taking all the Vulcans and killing them. It’s not confirmed, but most of the females were possibly raped first. Only three Vulcans get to survive thanks to a Human couple, Jon Ugarte and his wife, who hide them. They will be later arrested for treason.
July 7, 2076 Vulcans arrest every Human on Vulcan (like the exchange students in the Science Academy.) The Armed people that entered into the Embassy warn the Vulcan Government that if their demands aren’t fulfilled, they’ll kill one Vulcan each hour. After six hours, Vulcan Government officially orders its citizens to leave Earth.
July 8, 2076 Vulcan declares the war to Earth.
July 10, 2076 Andorians offer an alliance to Humans against Vulcans. Earth refuses it.

April 14, 2077 Vulcans cut off any communication of Vega with the rest of the universe.

November 23, 2077 Vulcans isolate Alpha Centaury.

October 26, 2078 Vulcan’s full attack against Earth begins.

February 14, 2079 Humans finish the Jericho Strategy, a wall of nuclear mines as a belt, surrounding Earth from Jupiter.

September 18, 2079 Vulcans reach the Sol system.
September 20 – November 23 2079 The called Alpha Battle. Vulcans attack and lose an important amount of ships. They retreat to wait for reinforcements. In October 5th Andorians contact Humans an offer another alliance. This time, Humans accept. The combined forces of Humans and Andorians repel the Vulcans.

December 25, 2079 As a gesture of good will, Humans let free the Vulcan prisoners they had on Earth. Vulcans claim they did the same with the Human civilians that were still on Vulcan, but the ship where they supposedly were sent never shows up. Humans accuse Vulcans. Vulcans deny any implication.

May 17, 2082 Breaking one of the points established in the Peace Treat with the Andorians, Vulcans attack Paan Mokar. They use a toxin that kills only Andorians to get a fast victory.

February 2, 2084 Vulcans set the “Paan Mokar initiative” in motion. They expand another toxin in the atmosphere of Vega (where there are still a few Humans), this one mortal for Humans. Some Humans get to escape and are taken in by Denobulans.
February 4, 2084 Vulcan Government demands Denobulans to hand over the Humans to them. Denobulans refuse.

March 13, 2084 A commission led by High Priestess T’Mir demands the VHC to stop the barbaric methods used on Vega. Supporting her are two of the people responsible of Paan Mokar, Syrek and Sokal. Soval, who served on Paan Mokar, is with them too. They are horrified of how their ideas were used, then and on Vega. Syrek is very vocal about his complaints.

May 23, 2097 After repeated demands to stops helping Humans with doctors and medical supplies, Vulcan Government declares an embargo against Denobula.

October 15, 2099 Seeing that victory is more and more far away, the VHC discusses the implementation of a new plan against Humans. The plan supports the idea of destroying Earth literally. Not everybody agrees. Among them Syrek and Sokal.
November 6, 2099 The Vulcans that plump for a peace treaty with Humans win the voting in the VHC.
March 1, 2100 The Vulcan Peace Convoy led by Sokal is destroyed by Humans due to miscommunication and distrust.
March 2, 2100 The members of the VHC change their decision and opt for war.

April 17, 2100 Syrek is accused of treason. He runs away before being captured. Nobody knows anything more about him.

January 29, 2102 Vulcans attack Earth completely by surprise in a full scale assault. The battle is bloody and a lot of ships are lost in the two sides. Using a kamikaze style of attack, a Surak type ship full of weapons hit Japan and obliterates it. The Vulcans not only don’t win, they also lose Alpha Centaury and a lot of territory they had conquered to Andorians. The strategy is considered a complete disaster.

March 24, 2112 Vulcan and Humans reach an unofficial peace.
May 27, 2112 Humans reach a trait agreement with Tellarites. Ironically, Humans give Tellarites the same privileges they had when Vulcans were still allies.
April 18, 2115 Conflicts in the Vulcan/Andorian borders start the war again.

July 26, 2128 Colonel Reed (later General Reed) liberates Vega. Unfortunately, since there are no Humans left, the victory tastes bittersweet.

May 2, 2145 The first NX class ship is created.

March 22, 2151 Humans conquer the Passage of Karadh'ss.

These are rough dates, not set on stone. I could change some of them. And you must take into account that I haven't told everything. But it give you an idea.

"Yes, miss."
"You do?"

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:17 pm

WOW! What I like is there is no pure right and wrong. It is very realistic. If you are plunked down in the middle of this you would be forced to choose sides. (Well, you could try to stay neutral,) In the end it would hinge on where your interests lie. I'm only halfway through this list, but I was kind of mad about:

May 28, 2074 Andorians asks for commerce trade with Earth. Vulcans prevent it.

FREE TRADE! FREE TRADE!
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:34 pm

Yeah, I thought it was the mirror universe so that is what I was thinking on when I voted. I think others will think the same way so the poll is sort of compromised.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:07 pm

OK so who fired the first shot?
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”