Classic Rock in the 22nd Century

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Classic Rock in the 22nd Century

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:06 pm

Well, unfortunately that makes this extremely subjective. But such is life. Maybe 100 years from now, the Beatles will be considered trash. And I've just commited Blasphemy. :cry:
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Asso
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Postby Asso » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:21 pm

When I listen to "Michelle", I think its notes will be dancing around us forever.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:56 am

Well, we know from the new movie, that the Beastie Boys endure. But I doubt Trip would be hip enough to appreciate the Beastie Boys.

I think Jazz music will endure, so I love that T'Pol is into jazz. And I figure she would own Kind of Blue, Sketches of Spain and the whole Miles Davis collection.

As for what Trip's taste would be, that's very tricky. I don't see him as liking grunge (Nirvana_ or grunge lite (Creed) because it's too angsty. He strikes me as a happy person until the Xindi attack.

I'm not sure about the big power ballad bands. Not much of fan, so I don't see it.

He's also Southern, but I don't see him as a country fan - and I'm someone who cried when Cindy Parker died. I'm sure the great classics by Hank Williams, Pasty Cline and Willie Nelson will endure, but again don't see Trip liking them.

I think he'd be into whatever was popular during his time, and it's incredibly hard to predict what that would be like. I mean, think of what popular music was like even a hundred years ago. But he also likes John Ford and other twentieth century movies. Hmmm......

Malcolm would be into the Beatles, as they are Britain's finest musical achievement.

Okay, I got it. Trip's into contemporary music, the kind of which we can't imagine. But if he were to listen to late 20th Century popular music it would be neo-bluegrass like Alison Krauss & Union Station or The Oh Brother Where Art Thou Soundtrack.

And I've got an idea for a story now. . .jazz meets bluegrass.

Note the above are all random musings. . .take 'em or leave 'em. :)
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:18 pm

Well there are many kinds of Country out there today. I really see him liking Tim McGraw, Billy Currington, and Deirks Bently. I also think he'd like Faith Hill, Sara Evans, and Martina McBride, simply because they are such good vocalists. George Strait too just because he's like the epitomy of a modern tradtional Southern man just like Trip is in the 22nd century.

As for Creed and angsty music I disagree, Trip DOES have an angsty side. And I think he would have his favorites to express that. As to what he would like specifically, well that's harder.

Part of the difficulties of this topic other than complete subjectivity because we saw Trip listening to one peice of music and it was Classical, is that I'm not sure if we're supposed to be talking about what Trip would like, or what would endure though time.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:23 pm

honeybee wrote:Okay, I got it. Trip's into contemporary music, the kind of which we can't imagine. But if he were to listen to late 20th Century popular music it would be neo-bluegrass like Alison Krauss & Union Station or The Oh Brother Where Art Thou Soundtrack.

Yeah, maybe, if they don't seem too quaint by then. I suspect he'd be into rhythm and blues. Actually, I think he'd have really eclectic music tastes, as someone else here has noted. I love that he was introducing Charles to a beautiful classical piano piece in Cogenitor.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:51 pm

That was me! Anyway I think he'd like just about anything. I don't know if he'd be into Death Metal though. Metal and Gangsta Rap I really can't see him into. Although there are some Rap/R&B singers out there with great songs. I happen to think he comes from a family that is very musical. The harmonica is an easy thing to bring on a comparatively small ship. But I think he could plausibly play other instruments. In my wacked out brain Mama Tucker was a former concert pianist turned Music Theory Professor. I know it's a very unusual departure.

As for his Rock taste, really anything goes. Like I've said before some people might think some Rock isn't timeless, but 100 years from now ANYTHING could be considered Timeless.

Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:55 pm

Rap/R&B? Maybe I'm out of touch but I never think of those two as grouped together.
Image.Image

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:58 pm

Neither did I actually don't feel bad. My 18 year old cousing lived with us for a year when he was 16-17. So I got an education on that type of music. And a lot of Spanish music as well. I think it would be under Rap/RB it certainly had the same type of sound.

Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:37 pm

I'm thinking Dr. John kind of rhythm and blues. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2m8Pgo_ ... 3&index=15

Or Eric Clapton: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOVzgija ... re=related

Or Etta James. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 5675535592

Or B.B. King http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qtm66Z3lebc

I think of R&B as maybe a cross between jazz, gospel and rock, and frankly I just don't see why it would ever get grouped with rap.

And I just wasted a whole lot of time when I should have been writing a library press release.
Image.Image

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:40 pm

I'm sorry. It's just that I've learned thanks to a younger generation that Rihanna, Kanye West, Beyonce, Missy Elliot, and even Jay-Z now fall into the catagory of Rap/R&B. Now I didn't make this up, and Frankly I was SHOCKED. To me R&B, Soul, meant Areatha Franklin. But the younger generation has spoken. But I love your choices Alelou. I can see Trip digging a lot of Eric Clapton.

Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:54 am

Well if Beyonce wants to sing an old Etta James standard, I'm just fine with that. (She sang "At Last" at the inaugural ball, apparently.)

So I guess there's R&B and then there's R&B.

I might like some of the new versions just fine. There's the odd rap song I enjoy. To be honest, I enjoy almost anything with a good beat and no syrup, at least in moderate doses. I just don't think it has much in common with R&B as I understand it.
Image.Image

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:03 am

I don't recall seeing Elton John mentioned. I'm not entirely sure Trip would be a big fan, but I can see Sir Elton's music lasting for a while.

Midnight Oil. They're super-famous in Australia, and so maybe with globalization... Not that I'm a fan or anything, right?

Frankly, I kind of like the idea that some rock band with little following today gets rediscovered and is hugely popular some 150 years after they recorded.

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:43 am

Or Etta James.

I was just listening to Etta James's "Night and Day" when I wrote the challenge story for this month. I figure T'Pol would be into Miles Davis especially, but also some Bird and Coltrane - the biggies. But not the singers. So I had this idea that I might use in a story that Etta James would be a compromise between their musical tastes.

But I love that Trip loves and knows classical music. Because of his affable, southern charm its easy to forget he's also a borderline genius. Someone capable of comprehending advanced warp theory would also probably enjoy classical music. I think the two speak to the same parts of the brain.

But that doesn't mean he can't also like popular music. I still think Trip would most likely be into whatever is contemporary to the 22nd century. But it might come to me what band he would be into. Nothing works quite right yet. I thought of REM (Athens, Southern) but doesn't work. Midnight Oil is close. . .maybe he picked them up on his survival mission to Alice Springs. That could work.

Frankly, I kind of like the idea that some rock band with little following today gets rediscovered and is hugely popular some 150 years after they recorded.

I can picture Malcolm being into Nick Drake.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:47 am

honeybee wrote:But I love that Trip loves and knows classical music. Because of his affable, southern charm its easy to forget he's also a borderline genius. Someone capable of comprehending advanced warp theory would also probably enjoy classical music. I think the two speak to the same parts of the brain.

You are so right! As much as I love the fact Trip is so relatable as a guy, I really think that sometimes TPTB pushed the archtype of an "ordinary guy" too far. Mentally this man is ANYTHING BUT an "ordinary guy" in fact there are many parts of Trip that are NOT ordinary.

As for music, I hate the idea of any music dying out. In fact I don't believe any music has ever died out in human history. As to Trip's personal taste, I think he would be as open as possible.

And for the record I think T'Pol would be open to vocals for example Ella Fitzgerald's Scat Singing I can believe T'Pol would be absolutely facinated at the mathamatical possibilities. Plus Vulcans can appreciate a beautiful voice. Tuvok appreciated 7of9's

Fics

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:57 am

I see T'Pol digging on Billie Holiday.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”