On Laundry

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: On Laundry

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:23 am

Yeah in my writing no matter what genera or fandom I always like to put a little real life in. Otherwise what is the point? You wouldn't be able to relate to any character's journey. That's why I would prefer the crew doing their own laundry.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:38 pm

panyasan wrote:
Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:
panyasan wrote:...and we don't know what happened in the morning after (waking up and T'Pol is gone for example could make you very uncertain)besides that they had red alert and had to run.

Neither stayed until morning. They were back on duty during the night, Trip in engineering and T'Pol on the Bridge, when the alarm sounded after the sphere builder guy escaped from sickbay. So they must have left her quarters before the alert.

Thanks for filling in the blanks, I wonder in what state and what they were saying (or not), when they left her quarters.
About T'Pol quarters being smaller then Hoshi's: in the beginning T'Pol isn't very welcome and she is like the last person to join the crew. So maybe they have given her the least popular quarters, but T'Pol doesn't mind, because they are quiet. She also has to do her own laundry, because she has special clothes. Gives her time to think about the strange crew she is now travelling with and build up a relationship with the quatermaster. Maybe he is the one suggesting that she is going to wear something different at the beginning of season 3.

Sometimes I wonder if they even got to finish, really... :dunno:

Sorry. I now return you to your regularly scheduled conversation about dirty skivvies...

I'm willing to bet they still have Woolite in the 22nd Century.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:42 pm

WarpGirl wrote:Yeah in my writing no matter what genera or fandom I always like to put a little real life in. Otherwise what is the point? You wouldn't be able to relate to any character's journey. That's why I would prefer the crew doing their own laundry.

Right but in the regular military I think they have somebody do that for you, especially on a ship. :dunno: At the very least I think the officers would have it done for them.

Can you just imagine, though? Like...I can just see T'Pol or Hoshi complaining about their panties coming up missing all the time...and not even for anything particularly gross or anything...I'm just thinking Anthony Michael Hall in Sixteen Candles, charging the other geeks admission to come in and just look at them!! :guffaw:
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Show On Map: No

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:23 pm

I just pictured T'Pol standing by the dryer wondering if her missing sock had been eaten by one of those micro-singularities she believes in... :lol:
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:37 pm

When I said real life I didn't necessarily mean laundry. Just something normal that you have to do in your everyday life, like make your bed, clean your living space. Stuff like that. Just to infuse a little realism into something so larger than life. Even something as simple as brushing hair, can do it. I'm sure officers DON'T have to do laundry. But writing something like that even though it's implausible can help ground a story.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:40 am

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:I just pictured T'Pol standing by the dryer wondering if her missing sock had been eaten by one of those micro-singularities she believes in... :lol:

:guffaw:

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:46 am

Well until I get an answer for that particluar mystery, it's a theory I'll accept in real life.

Fics

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:39 am

I saw something once on the Discovery Channel or something like that about the whole "missing sock" phenomenon and it turns out that there is just enough room in the drainage tube from your washer to suck socks out into oblivion- So.......it's not your imagination when two go in and one comes out . And, based on Kevin's comment, it's a world-wide problem.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:52 am

Holy Cow!!!!!!!!! Are you serious? Thanks for that information I'm telling mama tomorrow. We've been frustrated about that FOR YEARS!!!!!!

Fics

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:51 am

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:I just pictured T'Pol standing by the dryer wondering if her missing sock had been eaten by one of those micro-singularities she believes in... :lol:

:lol: Would be a great comedy-story. I think good comedy difficult to write, so I always admire people who can.
BTW: the sequel to this 'laundry-mystery' : what happened to the red shirt of Commander Tucker that he only got to wear once.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:14 pm

Somebody with a brain stole it so he wouldn't die a premature death! But I have to say I thought it looked really good on him.

Fics

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:00 pm

Travis spotted Trip's red T'shirt, along with T'Pol's missing sock floating in space one day while he was looking out the Mess Hall window. Apparently, it was sucked out of the dryer somehow.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:07 pm

Aikiweezie wrote:Travis spotted Trip's red T'shirt, along with T'Pol's missing sock floating in space one day while he was looking out the Mess Hall window. Apparently, it was sucked out of the dryer somehow.

They shared a dryer? Isn't that a sign of true love? :raspberry:
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:40 pm

Six pages of a thread called "On laundry"! :shock:

I'm afraid what will happen if I start a thread called "On doing the dishes". :-p
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:02 pm

Maybe that's why everyone on the ship was afraid of Chef.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”