Phlox

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Re: Phlox

Postby Alelou » Thu May 21, 2009 2:48 pm

Hmm. Having worked for school textbook companies AND as a high school teacher, I'd say you should definitely read further in a subject before concluding you got the final word in an Honors high school class. Especially in the last twenty years or so, those textbooks are written to please state textbook committees that often have politically-appointed or elected members who are pushing their own agendas. And thus, for example, in states like Texas or Arkansas or wherever the politics run conservative, the books and the curriculum will present creationism as having equal weight as evolution even though almost all scientsts consider it utter hokum.

Not that you can't believe in God as the creator and still believe in a process of evolution.

Personally I think we need national education standards with national tests and a textbook/curriculum decision process that is somehow protected from politics, which ain't easy from either side.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu May 21, 2009 2:58 pm

Considering I was born and raised in LI NY, I'd say my home state has a fairly "liberal" political agenda. I don't mean any disrespect to your experiences but on CNN there was a whole story on how scientists hoped thatthey have found a 40 million year old fossil that finally "Proves to be the missing link" to offer definitive proof that Evolution is no longer a theory. But they haven't had that sucess YET! Even Evolutionists have to admit that it is still a theory. Really though this isn't the place so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Thu May 21, 2009 3:20 pm

Well, yeah, you're definitely right about your home state as far as the education system goes, although NY has a lot more religious conservatives than most people realize and it does influence our politics quite a bit (there's a reason there's no gay marriage here yet). But yes, we can agree to disagree.

But I believe the 'missing link' debate you reference essentially has to do about the particular debate over exactly how modern man and the other primates evolved, as opposed to the theory of evolution in general. (I also have to say I tend to be a little skeptical of anything that got as much sophisticated media planning as that particular event did...I hope it's the real deal because if so that's really exciting, but doesn't it smell a bit like a snow job?)
Image.Image

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu May 21, 2009 3:28 pm

Well considering all of the indepentdent research I've done, and my own beliefs I thought that the fossil looked like a baby T-Rex. :wink: In the end it doesn't really matter. Suffice it to say, I've given the subject a lot of thought, time, and research, and I know where I stand.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Thu May 21, 2009 3:31 pm

I say we give it to the MythBusters to test. They proved that those conspiracy theorists who say we never landed on the moon are full of crap, maybe they can prove or disprove any theories about where life came from and how it became what it is today. 8)

That said, this may be a good spot to start confining our thoughts and feelings on the subject to the show and/or character in question.

So as they say on Monty Python, "And now, for something completely different...!"
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Thu May 21, 2009 3:32 pm

Aye, aye cap'n.
Image.Image

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Thu May 21, 2009 3:38 pm

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only fan who's done a mental rewrite of a certain Dr. Seuss classic. Who could resist "Phlox in Socks"? :lol:

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu May 21, 2009 3:42 pm

<Insert Robbie McNeill's voice> Yes Ma'am! No fighting here Captain, and no hair pasta flying. <end Robbie McNiell's voiceover> That is BRILLIANT! I think Phlox would LOVE Dr. Seuss! Ironically, I HATED learning to read from his books too easy and the pictures were backwards. The red fish were on the page where it said blue fish. Very annoying to a 3yr old. :evil: I'll bet Phlox would want real "Green Eggs and Ham!" :wink:

Fics

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Thu May 21, 2009 3:52 pm

I sort of had this uber-fluffy plot bunny where Trip and T'Pol have a kid and Trip's getting ready to read Dr. Seuss to him, and T'Pol's all "You're NOT rotting our child's brain by reading him THAT..." 'Cause, you know, all three year olds should be reading physics books and suff. :vulcan: And somehow it became "Phlox in Socks."

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu May 21, 2009 3:58 pm

Ohhhh DO IT! Please. I've read stories where T'Pol reads Elizabeth (who doesn't die) Seuss and a story where Trip Translates it into Vulcan because he's trying to learn to impress T'Pol. That was a good one. But your idea ROCKS. Please Please do it. <puppy eyes>

Fics

Escriba
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Escriba » Thu May 21, 2009 5:31 pm

OK, I don't think everybody would get this because this is from Pratchett's books (well, evcake will), but I can see T'Pol telling a tale to her child as if she was Susan Death (also known as Susan Sto Helit).

"I mean... well, you know what people call men who wear wigs and gowns, don't you?"
"Yes, miss."
"You do?"
"Yes, miss. Lawyers, miss."

The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Thu May 21, 2009 5:48 pm

I can totally see Phlox having a Dr. Seuss phase! And maybe he'd talk in rhymes?

Also, for some reason, I think he'd like the Sherlock Holmes stories. Can't really say why I think this, but it just seems to work for his character.

Now here's a question: what would Phlox think of soap operas??? :shock:

Escriba
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Escriba » Thu May 21, 2009 5:50 pm

I bet he would LOVE them, specially the overly-dramatic South American ones :lol:

"I mean... well, you know what people call men who wear wigs and gowns, don't you?"
"Yes, miss."
"You do?"
"Yes, miss. Lawyers, miss."

The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu May 21, 2009 5:59 pm

Well I think he would say they were "Quaint" but I have a feeling that he'd decide that humans complicate sexual and personal relationships beyond all understanding. Also considering what I've unintentionally seen from my great-grandmother's soaps, I think he might be shocked at some of it, like a brother of someone having an affair with his wife. I don't think even Denobulans do that. Can you tell I don't like soaps, oh well...

Fics

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Fri May 22, 2009 1:15 am

WarpGirl wrote:Ohhhh DO IT! Please. I've read stories where T'Pol reads Elizabeth (who doesn't die) Seuss and a story where Trip Translates it into Vulcan because he's trying to learn to impress T'Pol. That was a good one. But your idea ROCKS. Please Please do it. <puppy eyes>

lol we'll see. :lol: I have four--count 'em, FOUR--TnT stories in the works at the moment. Let me get a few finished than maybe I'll address this. :wink:

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”