Character Flaws

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: Character Flaws

Postby Aikiweezie » Fri May 15, 2009 10:36 pm

Aquarius wrote: but whether or not Phlox did anything "wrong" there would depend on if you were asking a human or a Denobulan...much like how I was saying in another thread that I have very little sympathy for Koss, but if I were a Vulcan male looking at his situation, I might be sympathizing all over the place. It's all just a matter of perspective.

You know......I find myself agreeing with you more often than not, Aquarius. Maybe what I meant was that from Trip's perspective it was a sucky thing for him to say (sucky...is that a word?).

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Fri May 15, 2009 11:08 pm

Just to clarify the evolution thing (without bringing creationism into it), here's from my review of Dear Doctor (the episode in question):

Now, I'm no evolutionary biologist but I've read enough about it to understand that this is a truly warped view of what evolution is about. Yes, evolution is a principle of how species evolves and some eventually dies out (survival of the fittest and all that). It is however not a blueprint which can help you predict the future outcome for a certain species. It is random whether, how and when a species will evolve. There's no way of knowing beforehand how it will turn out. Only ex post facto can we say something about the whys and the hows. Phlox makes statements about what will happen as if they would be indisputable facts. Well, they're most certainly not! All it is, is pure conjecture about future evolutionary paths that might happen centuries or millennia from now. Basing decisions, especially one of this astounding magnitude, on what may or may not happen is in fact rather obscene. What you're left with, the only thing that you can be reasonably sure about, is what is happening in the here and now. And withholding the cure would in all likelihood condemn the Valakians to great suffering and death. If that is not immoral then I don't know what is. It is genocide by wilful omission. You can hide behind the proto-prime directive all you want but in the end not making a choice is a choice in and of itself. You're "playing God" regardless. This is a form of Social Darwinism that I find quite repugnant! Given this logic any doctor treating a patient is "playing God", any aid agency sending relief to third world countries is "playing God" or any society that takes care of its less fortunate citizens is "playing God".
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri May 15, 2009 11:10 pm

You took the words out of my mouth. Thanks for helping me clear up that point. But I'm not sure that is considered a character flaw or a scientific one.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sat May 16, 2009 1:56 am

Yes, of course. I think it would be reasonable to say the writers played fast and loose with concepts of evolution in order to create a simplistic pre-Prime Directive moral quandary there.

Similarly, Sim was in no way a believable clone. A clone who grows into its donor's memories? Come on. Not to mention he grew incredibly fast, fast enough to remember what Trip was doing the night before the accident with T'Pol, and then for the last third of the story conveniently stopped aging. But I can live with that, because it allowed an amazing story. (Can't say I feel the same way about the other one.)
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sat May 16, 2009 2:08 am

Alelou wrote:Similarly, Sim was in no way a believable clone. A clone who grows into its donor's memories? Come on. Not to mention he grew incredibly fast, fast enough to remember what Trip was doing the night before the accident with T'Pol, and then for the last third of the story conveniently stopped aging. But I can live with that, because it allowed an amazing story.

Personally, that didn't bother me much, because the operative word in science fiction is "fiction."

Besides, because of pop culture (and yes, Star Trek has contributed to this), so many people are under the misconception that when you make a clone, you get a carbon copy of yourself. Not true, because you are also the product of two people's DNA, and each of them is the product of two people's DNA, and so on. There is likely to be a family resemblance, you'll certainly look enough alike to be siblings, but your clone may be short if you're tall, have your mom's blue eyes even though yours are green, etc. (I read all about this when they cloned the kitty a few years back.) But an exact copy? No.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sat May 16, 2009 2:19 am

Not only that, but your environment growing up and even in the womb can cause significant differences.

For example, babies born to mothers who were starving because of famine are much more likely to suffer from certain health problems, like metabolic syndrome, later in life ... and can even pass these tendencies on to THEIR children, without any further famine being involved.
Image.Image

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sat May 16, 2009 2:21 am

Also, I've read that your gender can be determined by the pH of the mother's cervix, so I'm sure that information can also be used while creating your clone.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat May 16, 2009 2:34 am

Cloning aside, I think growing someone just to harvest brain tissue knowing they are going to die is murder. I won't touch cloning. Like I said Phlox's "flaw" is that he can compromise his integrity at will. What about the other characters' flaws.? What do you think they are?
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sat May 16, 2009 3:05 am

WarpGirl wrote:Cloning aside, I think growing someone just to harvest brain tissue knowing they are going to die is murder. I won't touch cloning. Like I said Phlox's "flaw" is that he can compromise his integrity at will. What about the other characters' flaws.? What do you think they are?

Let's break that down into two parts:

1. growing someone just to harvest brain tissue
2. knowing they're going to die.

First, initial estimates was that harvesting the tissue was NOT going to kill Sim. He would be able to live out his natural albeit short life span. It wasn't until later that this problem was discovered.

Second, we have babies, knowing they're going to die someday. We hope it'll be until some ripe old age, we hope they'll outlive us, but it doesn't always happen. So yeah, they knew Sim was gonna die, but they didn't think it was the procedure that was gonna kill him. They fully intended to let him live as full of a life as you can in a couple of weeks, while trying to do something to serve the greater good--the survival of Planet Earth and all its inhabitants.

The whole point of it was that it wasn't an easy decision and that it was morally questionable...Archer felt like he had to look at it as any other wartime commander would, and send someone on a suicide mission in order to make sure the goal got accomplished. It's horrible, but it happens, even now.

And part of what made this so compelling was the fact that Phlox had to live with himself after discovering that the harvesting of the tissue would kill Sim.What started out as a minor deviation from his beliefs became a huge screw-up.

Other flaws: Porthos is a cheese addict.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat May 16, 2009 3:27 am

Aquarius wrote:Other flaws: Porthos is a cheese addict.

Oh I don't think that counts, now if he were like my dog wreaking havoc all the time, (his name is Jar Jar) I'd say it's admissable. :wink:

Fics

Escriba
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Escriba » Sat May 16, 2009 9:30 am

WarpGirl wrote:
Aquarius wrote:Other flaws: Porthos is a cheese addict.

Oh I don't think that counts, now if he were like my dog wreaking havoc all the time, (his name is Jar Jar) I'd say it's admissable. :wink:

:lol: Good name!

The complain I have with Sim is that he grows too fast with no phisical pain at all. That's impossible. With that growing rate, he had to suffer severe pain. Believe me, I've known a girl who suffered a strange disease which made her growing her bones too fast and it was hell (don't ask me what kind of disease it was because, frankly, I don't remember.)

"I mean... well, you know what people call men who wear wigs and gowns, don't you?"
"Yes, miss."
"You do?"
"Yes, miss. Lawyers, miss."

The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sat May 16, 2009 12:48 pm

That's a good point.

And pain begets even more pain, so that Sim would have been one screwed up guy, unless he was constantly on painkillers.

There's another AU for ya, Escriba. You didnt' do THAT one yet!
Image.Image

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sat May 16, 2009 12:51 pm

Alelou wrote:That's a good point.

And pain begets even more pain, so that Sim would have been one screwed up guy, unless he was constantly on painkillers.

There's another AU for ya, Escriba. You didnt' do THAT one yet!

Oh, it's on now! You've gotta do it, Escriba!

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Sat May 16, 2009 1:07 pm

Alelou wrote:That's a good point.

I have a five year old boy who ocasionally gets growing pains - and it will take him 18 years to reach adulthood, not 5 days!!!!

That's just another reason I think they could have/should have kept him sedated or in a coma so he wasn't aware and walking around and freaking everone out. Nesides the fact that his mental development makes no sense. I did like parts if the epoisode, though.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Sat May 16, 2009 1:11 pm

Out of curiosity, why should some one with pain automaticly be a screwed up guy? I am married to a men who is in pain every day and still manages to live a somewhat normal life.
But I agree, how Sim deals with his pain- and the people surrounding him, like T'Pol, is an interesting story.
Last edited by panyasan on Sat May 16, 2009 1:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”