Character Flaws

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Character Flaws

Postby WarpGirl » Sat May 16, 2009 1:15 pm

I agree I have extreme pain pain every moment of every day. I have Cerebral Palsy. I admit I'm weird but I'm far from screwed up.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Escriba
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Postby Escriba » Sat May 16, 2009 4:18 pm

Aquarius wrote:
Alelou wrote:That's a good point.

And pain begets even more pain, so that Sim would have been one screwed up guy, unless he was constantly on painkillers.

There's another AU for ya, Escriba. You didnt' do THAT one yet!

Oh, it's on now! You've gotta do it, Escriba!

Really? You mean creating a story where Sim suffers severe pain while he's growing and have to take drugs? Because... let's assume he can't be put into an induced coma, since it's, I don't know, impossible to do it with somebody that goes from baby to teen in one day and half. Or because it would ruin the brain or some mumbo-jumbo ripped off from "The Island". And just to make it interesting, we can change the entire premise of Similitude and make Sim to live a lenghty life, like any Human. And we could even change the fact that he's going to die if he gives Trip his neural tissue (poor Phlox, he can't be wrong always.) Sim's age would come to a halt at Trip's age, because that's how the larvae works: it turns into an exact clone for survival reasons or whatever. Sim, once grown up, shouldn't have more pain, but he's an addicted already. So we would have Trip and Sim in the same time and place. Trip, who loves T'Pol but doesn't tell her it, and Sim, who is a junkie and tells T'Pol how much he cares for her every damn hour. And to twist it even more, why we assume Sim really loves T'Pol? He says he doesn't know if those feeling are his or Trips, but let's be more cruel: what if Sim is much more independent than what we think and he really can separate his and Trip's feelings? What if he just confesses to T'Pol because he knows Trip loves her and looking objetively at Trip's memories he can see T'Pol cares for Trip too? What if he was as immature as a child and he used that knowledge to get what he wanted? Then we would have Trip turned to a very real dark side.

JUST KIDDING! :D

I'm not interested in more AUs, thank you, I have enough with what I have.

"I mean... well, you know what people call men who wear wigs and gowns, don't you?"
"Yes, miss."
"You do?"
"Yes, miss. Lawyers, miss."

The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat May 16, 2009 7:29 pm

Well if Phlox's big flaw is going against his ethics, Malcolm follows orders too strictly. Like when Archer ordered him to send an assault team to a civilian ship to steal their Warp Coil. From the look on his face he KNEW is was a bad order, yet he didn't protest. Hello Numburge proved that you can protest a inhumane order even in wartime. UG!
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sat May 16, 2009 10:53 pm

About the pain thing, I just mean that chronic pain, if untreated, actually sensitizes your nerves to feel more pain -- which perhaps wouldn't happen if Phlox is worth his salt, anyway, but it must be harder to treat pain in infants and young children when they can't communicate. I assume that growing up in serious chronic pain has to have some kind of impact on your personality, not necessarily a bad one, but certainly not the same as what Trip experienced growing up in his own time in his presumably healthy body. But of course he already has to live with the knowledge that he has a lifespan of 15 days or less, which is painful enough, so maybe it hardly matters.

And yeah, Escriba, you're right, you do have enough AUs. Don't start any new ones until you finish the two current ones! (Or three, if you count your P'anar T'Pol variations.)
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sun May 17, 2009 12:11 am

Alelou wrote:And yeah, Escriba, you're right, you do have enough AUs. Don't start any new ones until you finish the two current ones! (Or three, if you count your P'anar T'Pol variations.)

Oh, I know! I've been dying for more of those, too. :D
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Sun May 17, 2009 1:12 pm

Alelou wrote:About the pain thing, I just mean that chronic pain, if untreated, actually sensitizes your nerves to feel more pain ..
I never heard of that medical fact, but I am not a medical person. It fits with the fact that pain is the alarm system of the body (pain as an indication there is something wrong) and that alarm system maybe also the reason the body adapts to medication if you take them for a long period. BTW, I think baby do have a way of communicating pain, I read some stories about babies that cried some much that the parents went to the doctor to exam that baby to find that the birth cause the neck vertabrae to be placed in a wrong position or that the baby had a ear infection. Sorry, very off topic.
Back to Phlox: you can say his ethics are shady, he is sometimes too curious (see A night in sickbay) but he also has a compassionate side as seen in Terra Prime (no sign of his survial of the fittest-attitude there). He differs from T'pol on ethicial issues, but still they seem to develop a friendship. He is friendly towards her from the beginning, giving her a compliment how well she managed on board. We don't see much of the Phlox-T'Pol friendship, but it's there.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sun May 17, 2009 1:23 pm

panyasan wrote: Back to Phlox: you can say his ethics are shady, he is sometimes too curious (see A night in sickbay) but he also has a compassionate side as seen in Terra Prime (no sign of his survial of the fittest-attitude there). He differs from T'pol on ethicial issues, but still they seem to develop a friendship. He is friendly towards her from the beginning, giving her a compliment how well she managed on board. We don't see much of the Phlox-T'Pol friendship, but it's there.

I don't know. In spite of all that, even if I have to admit that you're right, Panyasan, I continue to feel him cold, in many circumstances.
Probably he pays the fact that the peculiar family condition of his race doesn't allow him to perfectly understand Trip's situation, who knows.
But I don't think that, if I were a patient, I would have much feeling with him.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Sun May 17, 2009 1:39 pm

Well, you're right that Phlox is trying very hard not to be personal involved. He makes friendship - like the one with Hoshi and T'Pol - but he hardly ever shows his own inner emotions or that he is emotional touched. Besides, I think - Terra Prime - when he cries. Maybe that's why I struck me so much.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sun May 17, 2009 1:43 pm

Is it possible he matured, someway?
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sun May 17, 2009 2:14 pm

I think that part of his behavior in "Terra Prime" is also because he felt a special kinship with T'Pol, being that they were the only two non-humans on the ship. While they're culturally very different, they've both helped each other through that "fish out of water" feeling from time to time. They have things in common with each other that they don't have with anyone else on the ship, so while he considers both Trip and T'Pol friends, he may not have felt the loss quite as deeply or personally if it had not been T'Pol's child.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sun May 17, 2009 2:31 pm

Well, and I think it can be argued especially after Sim that he feels a special bond with Trip, too.

I didn't take that "you'll just have to suffer through it" as anything but fatherly advice. Not that my own father would ever openly address any tender emotional issue -- (and if he did I might just faint -- the only time he ever said anything even slightly gooey to me was when I was living across the Atlantic and he could do it in a letter, and maybe a little on my wedding day although I think that may have been more because he really loved the folk band).
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Sun May 17, 2009 2:36 pm

What if Sim was the total OPPOSITE of Trip Beligerent, mean, violent?? OR he ended up like the clones in that movie "Duplicity" with Michael Keaton, flaky and kind of dumb. :lol: (the premise of "Duplicity" was that every time you make a clone, it's like a copy from a copy machine, the pattern gets dimmer and dimmer and so does their intellect.)

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Tue May 19, 2009 8:01 pm

Here's another thought. Remember that VOY episode where an alien species reanimated a dead Voyager female crew member who had been buried in space? What if the same aliens found Sim? Could they bring him back to life and give him a longer life span? Remember, they adapt the person, change their looks to be more like theirs, and pretty much erase the memories of their original lifetime. Well, anyone who wants to try this can take this idea and run with it because I have too many projects right now to take it on myself. But I'd love to read it if someone else writes it!
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Tue May 19, 2009 8:03 pm

Tempting, tempting, tempting, tempting.........

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue May 19, 2009 8:09 pm

Some one did over at HoT Dang don't remember who. BRB I'll go look, I didn't read it, I tend to avoid Sim stories can't get past the imoral cloning business. FOUND IT! Insert manical evil laughter. Here's the link... http://triptpolers.houseoftucker.com/fi ... tion.shtml Enjoy!
Last edited by WarpGirl on Tue May 19, 2009 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fics

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”