Kirk Vs Picard on Fanlib.com

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Kirk Vs Picard on Fanlib.com

Postby CX » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:27 pm

Actually screenplay can be tons easier to write than prose because you don't have any inner dialog and only have to describe what actions are taking place. My screenplays actually include a lot more than a typical industry standard script.

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Postby Distracted » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:33 pm

T'Poptarts, the Microsoft Word version looked exactly like that, but when I posted to the site I got doublespaces. When I tried to backspace, the dialog jumped up to the same line as the speaker's name. My format was correct. I followed the guidelines on a screenplay website I found precisely. The site just won't let me post it that way, so any formatting errors are not my fault. The dialog is supposed to be indented, too, and the speakers names shouldn't be centered, they should all be on the same margin 5 tabs to the right. Too bad they asked for screenplay format and then didn't install the software to support it, but it's not my fault. I did my best.

Any dialog suggestions? That's pretty much all I had control over.
Image sig by chrisis1033

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:15 pm

CX wrote:Actually screenplay can be tons easier to write than prose because you don't have any inner dialog and only have to describe what actions are taking place. My screenplays actually include a lot more than a typical industry standard script.

Writing them isn't hard - it's formatting them that's a pain. You need to center the dialogue speakers name (also in all caps) then you need to indent/blockquote the dialogue and remember INT, EXT depending on location. And then you need to figure out how much of the characters you want the actors to interpret for you.

I'd just rather sit at the keyboard and type without having to worry too much about the formatting.

At least they don't make you put in camera angles like they used to.
Writing as TrekPyro.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:18 pm

I have a program to do all that ... "Sophocles"...

Not bad, Dis ... given the horrible constraints you had to work under, you succeeded...
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:43 pm

I think there is another free program called celtx that does it. But I don't write screenplays often enough to put it on my computer. In fact, I never write them and I don't think writing someone's stinky plot is motivation enough for me to DL it.

Anyhow - screenwriting is still a good thing to learn because it teaches writers how to show the story they are trying to write through the eyes of their characters instead of just telling it through internal thoughts. It teaches people to actually plot and make things happen instead of writing cute little vignettes all the time that don't really go anywhere. With screenwriting you actully have to describe scenery that's relevant to the plot or characters and then describe the actions of your characters and make the actions show what the character's motivations are.

The one thing you need to avoid, however, is monologues (alright if it's Captain Kirk Very Happy) and the talking head syndrome.

Anyhow: Great beginning, Dis. (*Vash* mahahaha - I love Vash) - good descriptions. the Guardian in pieces was a nice touch. McCoy taking a tricorter reading and looking for a neural center was also good. You don't dumb down the characters like many Trek writers (fan fiction or not) tend to do. I appreciate that and respect that very much.

And you got my muse going - Maybe I'll write one where they find Data's head...
Writing as TrekPyro.

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:29 am

Distracted wrote:T'Poptarts, the Microsoft Word version looked exactly like that, but when I posted to the site I got doublespaces. When I tried to backspace, the dialog jumped up to the same line as the speaker's name.

Heh. Then on FanLib when you do that, and the dialog jumps to the same line that comes before it, you just gotta hit shift+enter and then you get it spaced just right Cool

(Didn't I tell you the little shift+enter secret before? Like twice?? Razz Laughing Wink )
ImageImage

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:21 am

Shift + enter, huh? I'll have to try that next time. Thanks. Cool

And thanks for the critique, everybody. I really hope the guy who had Kirk blow up the Guardian to free his ship in the first 4 pages of his story doesn't win. Talk about dumbing down the characters. What kind of moron does he think Kirk is? Confused
Image sig by chrisis1033

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:39 am

Where, pray tell, are they coming up with these plot lines?
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:33 am

Yeah baby! I'm so in!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Warning: you are about to enter the realm of total ridiculousness. This scene is more ridiculous than an over-restrictive outline. It's more ridiculous than Rigil's cliche plot. And it's like totally gonna make Rigil hate me forever.

Behold!

KvP - The Musical!

Now just try to write something more ridiculous than that. Muahahahaha. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
ImageImage

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:30 pm

McCoy wrote:(turns toward camera)
There's no doubt the Guardian
Is dreadfully sick
(pulls out gigantic thermometer)
But I've got a thermometer
I don't know where to stick!
(throws thermometer off screen)

OMFG! Laughing

I can't believes some of the humorless b@stards that only gave you one star. It's hilarious!
Writing as TrekPyro.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:53 pm

T'Poptarts wrote:It's more ridiculous than Rigil's cliche plot.

Wow. You weren't kidding. It's so ridiculous that it's hilarious. Now I have this mental image of Kirk and Spock and McCoy dancing ...

Expect a call from my lawyers. Mental distress and all that...

And it's like totally gonna make Rigil hate me forever.

Nonsense. I wouldn't watch it, but then, I hate musicals.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:44 am

Oh lookie it even got a mention on the FanLib homepage!! Mr. Green How cool is that!!
FanLib homepage wrote:Have You Seen KVP?
(6/25/07)
Round one of Star Trek: Kirk vs. Picard has closed with more than 300 submissions. Though they all began with the same Guardian of Time storyline, you'll find plenty of cool twists. Q stops by as does Edith Keeler, a Bird of Prey figures into one story and yes, there's even KvP: The Musical.

Check out the submissions and leave your comments. Which scenes do you think will make the final five?

Distracted I read your entry. I have like totally no idea who Vash is Confused but I think the story is really good. Well if it means anything it's the best entry I've read so far... but I've only read 2 so far Confused (not including mine) Laughing I haven't seen that much TNG and even less TOS so I can't know like how "in character" they were (though in my entry I think it's safe to say for sure that they weren't Laughing ) but still was fun to read so who cares. I think my favorite part is when Data is confused and Troi rolls her eyes Laughing Laughing Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
ImageImage

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:08 pm

Rigil wrote:Expect a call from my lawyers. Mental distress and all that...

You keep lawyers on retainer? < considers >

Probably for the best.

Razz
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:44 pm

Re: Kirk v Picard: The Musical
Guffaw
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:40 pm

Okay who didn't know my horrendously ridiculous entry wouldn't make it to the final 5 Confused Laughing Razz duh.
ImageImage

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”