Alphabet Drabble Game

You asked and we answered! (Eventually!) Create short fan fiction drabbles, ficlets and songfics in threads, post comments and discussion!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Re: Alphabet Drabble Game

Postby Distracted » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:36 pm

Nice continuation, Cogito, but where's your "K" word?
Image sig by chrisis1033

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:51 pm

I'm sure I had one at some point - the dog must have eaten it. :oops:

(In my defense I was originally going to write something completely different, but it would have meant a scene break that I couldn't justify. Whilst I was puzzling that out, the rules sorta slipped out of my mind.)

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:30 am

Okay. There's a K in what Cogito just wrote, guys. It's just silent. 8)

Moving on to L...
Image sig by chrisis1033

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:56 pm

Laughing uneasily, which even to him sounded as fake as a Klingon's smile, he tried to come up with something halfway believable, but his uncooperative brain instead kept stuck on the realization that Harris' text book was missing a chapter on what to do if you crash land near your intended target and have to come up with a good bullshit story in a split-second.

Sod it! he thought. If the Captain can beam up a Lady from the 1940's to the ship and the galaxy survives, he should be able to do without a lame story, too.

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:24 pm

"Well, it's not you they want. They're trying to find an engineer you might know, who's about to do something extraordinary. And we've got to make sure he gets to do it."

"But I don't know any engineers. I'm just a teacher. Who is he?"

"We don't know. Most of our records were lost in … were lost. All we know is that he's an engineer who worked closely with a scientist – an astronomer, we think. When he eventually took over the institute, he had a reputation for extraordinary bravery."

She frowned. "What do you mean 'had' a reputation?"

Does that count as a 'plot point'?
I apologize if our heroine isn't a teacher IRL, but in this story she is.

Eireann
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Eireann » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:03 am

He blinked, so obviously trying to furnish a reasonably accurate answer that Eireann sighed. None of this was making much sense.

It wasn’t exactly what she’d planned on when she’d come on holiday, but it was certainly a change from the humdrum.

She glanced at him again. Years of pitting her wits against schoolchildren had taught her some skill at detecting lies, and the mysterious Mr. Dominic seemed – now – to be telling the truth. Except not nearly enough of it for her to go giving out names and addresses, particularly not of a person whom she regarded as a friend.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:38 pm

Time to resurrect this one, but I've only got ten minutes. Hmmm....

Suddenly a chirping noise issued from a device on the man's belt. He gave her an apologetic grimace, pulled it out, and flipped it open.

"Ah... Dominic here," he said.

A female voice replied. "We've located the target, Malcolm. The Nausicans have him and they're heading in your direction. Are you able to get alone for transport?"

Dominic hesitated. His eyes cut to Eireann, and she got the strangest feeling that he was feeling guilty. Over what, she couldn't imagine.

"No, Hoshi... that's a negative."

A rumbling noise began overhead as he spoke. Although the sky was clearing, an inexplicable bolt of lightning flashed a mere meter from the two of them. Eireann shielded her eyes. Dominic looked up, his eyes wide.

"Never mind that, Hoshi. Beam us up now!"
Image sig by chrisis1033

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:44 pm

-------------------

"Thank you for agreeing to meet me, Cogito," the young vulcan began. "Unfortunately I neglected to provide an adequate number of chairs, so we will need to share," she continued, before seating herself delicately in his lap. She settled her head against his shoulder and wriggled into a more comfortable position. "Before we discuss the mission proper, I have a personal request to make concerning Pon Farr," she added.

Cogito woke with a jolt to find himself slumped in a chair, bound painfully at the wrists and ankles. That ugly green fellow was drawing his arm back for another blow.

Eireann
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Eireann » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:03 pm

Cogito was in a quandary.

He had no idea why he was here, and less why he was getting the crap beaten out of him. He spared a wistful thought for the pretty Vulcan and her pon farr issues, which he was sure he could have helped her out with.

“Wait!” he got out, noticing as he did so that his lip was split – doubtless thanks to the preceding fracas that had ended up with him in his present predicament.

He wouldn’t have minded so much if he’d understood what was going on, but this was adding insult to injury.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:09 am

"Mount a rescue? Why?" asked Malcolm in bewilderment. "We can't even be certain that saving him will repair the timeline. We could make things worse." He was still dressed in the same mud-encrusted jumpsuit. His goggle-eyed companion was being entertained by Hoshi in the transporter room, a fact that was making him more than a bit nervous. Hoshi was perfectly capable of keeping the woman occupied without giving her any useful information, of course. It was what the woman might tell Hoshi that was giving him fits. He'd been a perfect gentleman the entire time, but the girl - Eireann was it?- was quite... distracting.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:45 am

Archer had obviously made his mind up, though. "It's this simple," he growled. "We've got to stop them. If they want the engineer, we sure as hell don't want them to have him."

The captain paced to the far side of the ready room, giving Malcolm a chance to glance at the trail of mud that had followed him in. Damn!

Archer turned back abruptly. "You've got thirty minutes to come up with a plan. I don't care what it takes – get him back. And quickly – if those Nausicans manage to block off our timeline, we've had it."

Eireann
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Eireann » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:39 pm

“I haven’t the faintest idea what you’re talking about!” yelled Cogito. “I’ve never heard of any ‘project’, and who are the damned Nausicaans?”

This evidently still wasn’t the required response. The yellow eyes staring into his were inhuman and terrifying, but the face they sat in had enough human characteristics for him to recognize anger when he saw it.

“Pretending innocence won’t save you, human,” he hissed. “We know you’re involved. It’ll be far less painful if you just tell us what you know. I know it’s hard to imagine, but I can actually be rather unpleasant when I’m crossed.”

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:35 am

There was a sudden commotion from behind him, and his interrogator looked up for a moment and then made a quick grab towards his belt. A solid beam of light seared past his face and struck the ugly green alien, who collapsed against the wall in a crumpled heap. He struggled to look over his shoulder to see where the beam had come from. A slim fellow stepped into view, closely followed by …

"What the bloody hell are you doing here?" he exclaimed.

She turned to her companion with a scowl. "Why does everyone keep saying that?" she demanded.

Eireann
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Eireann » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:21 pm

Relief blurred his vision momentarily. He felt a tugging at the cords binding his wrists together, and the squeak of a blade.

“It’s not that I mind,” he said hastily. “But shouldn’t you be in Wicklow?”

“Oh, I give up on where I ought to be.” Eireann touched his battered face with gentle, concerned fingers. “Git. I hope that ray gun hurt.”

“Phase pistol. It’s called a phase pistol.” The English voice came from where the owner was squatting behind him, presumably sawing at the cords with a knife; the chuckle was slightly breathless. “And forget I told you that.”

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:55 pm

"Thank you for agreeing to meet me," the young vulcan began. She glanced around the packed briefing room. "No doubt you are eager to find why you've been brought here. The fact is, we are looking for someone …"

"I know!" Cogito interrupted. "That's just what that other one said. 'Are you the engineer?' Bam! 'Who is he?' Bam! 'Where can we find him?' Bam! Over and over, as if I was supposed to know anything about energy weapons! I kept telling him that I spend most of my time watching clouds, but it just seemed to make him angrier!"

Return to “Drabble Fanfiction”