Bio-poem game

You asked and we answered! (Eventually!) Create short fan fiction drabbles, ficlets and songfics in threads, post comments and discussion!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Re: Bio-poem game

Postby Weeble » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:52 am

Talok, the Vulcan /Romulan????
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Postby Cogito » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:53 am

You're miles out. Light-years, even, and heading in the wrong direction. When you look up 'wrong' on Wikipedia, it links back to this thread.

It's set in season three. "Look before you leap" is an old English proverb that means think about the consequences before you do something. (No, the fact it's English is not a clue.)

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:24 am

I'm familiar with the expression. It just doesn't work as a metaphor for the predator I was thinking of... although one could certainly make the argument that with *the_abomination* the producers definitely "jumped the shark".

I'd love to do more research now that I know the season, but unfortunately I've got to go to work.

Addendum: Just looked over the transcript site briefly but I really don't have time to read all of season 3. Sorry. I don't see an episode with a character that's named after a predator. I'm not understanding the reference, I guess. I give up. Gonna go write instead of wasting more time banging my head against a brick wall. :banghead:
Image sig by chrisis1033

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:49 am

Can you give us another hint, Cogito?
Image sig by chrisis1033

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:17 am

The predator in question is indeed a shark - a shark that appears on the duty patch of the person you're looking for.

And no, none of this relates to the expression 'jump the shark'.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:24 am

I'm not sure I've ever noticed what's on anyone's duty patches, but I'll throw out the wild guess of Hayes reflecting on his fight with Malcolm?

I'm surprised he'd see it that way, though.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:35 am

It's a MACO who lost a fight - but not that MACO, Alelou.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:41 pm

Cole, then? I don't see Amanda perceiving this quite so much like combat. That's just me, though.
Image.Image

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:52 pm

Alelou wrote:Cole, then? I don't see Amanda perceiving this quite so much like combat. That's just me, though.

Yes it was about Cole. :D

I was thinking in more general terms of the struggle for Trip's affections. I mean, on a ship the size of Enterprise the budding relationship between Trip and T'Pol must have been fairly well apparent and I think that Amanda and T'Pol were both well aware of the other as a rival when they met to undo the damage that Trip had done.

And I think that when T'Pol's 'accidentally' tweaked a nerve on Amanda's back in the process, Amanda would probably have taken that as a warning shot (and I think that is probably how T'Pol meant it too, no matter how she might try to claim it was merely a slip). I have assumed that Amanda knew or thought that T'Pol could easily have crippled her at that point, if she had wanted to.

Um, the fact I had to explain it suggests that I failed to convey that in the poem - sorry. :oops:

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:15 pm

Ah, don't apologize. It makes sense that a MACO would see it that way.

Guess that means I'm up -- later when it gets too hot to garden!
Image.Image

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:47 pm

Cogito, I read it that way too. When T'Pol "accidentily" hit that nerve in Cole's back the look on Cole's face said she got the message. "Leave Trip alone, he is mine." Oh, T'Pol apologized but that didn't cut any ice. Cole knew that her days with Trip was over if she knew what was good for her.

I still would have loved to have seen a good knock down drag out fight between Cole and T'POl. Cole was highly trained and probably could have overcome T'Pol's vulcan strength but not T'Pol's Training in the Vulcan Martial Arts. If T'Pol had a sense of fairness she would not have used that but fought Cole on as even a playing field as possible.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:23 pm

I think this may be a male/female thing, Cogito. Cole never even occurred to me. I guess because as a woman I see the Amanda/Trip/T'Pol situation as a competition for Trip's attention, not as a fight between Amanda and T'Pol. Your poem sounded like a man's POV to me. Of course a female MACO might think of the situation as a head to head battle, I suppose, but most women aren't that directly confrontational with a rival for their man's affections. Behaving that way risks too much. Men, in my experience, generally aren't attracted to the strongest woman the way a woman tends to be attracted to the strongest man. Most men prefer a nurturing type. She'd risk losing him to her opponent after a direct confrontation. And in the scenes with Trip, IMO, Amanda seemed to be interacting with him in a very traditionally feminine manner.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:14 pm

The whole "cat fight" thing is kind of a male fantasy, I suspect.

I don't think I ever tried to compete for a man's attentions in my life. I always figured it he was really more interested in someone else, vaya con Dios. Then again, I've seen old ladies get pretty competitive about the few remaining men in their age groups. I remember my neighbor Dottie was quite disgusted that another woman would take the man she considered "her" man out to Wendy's. (Dottie cooked for him and had him at her house just about every day. In fact for a long time I just assumed they were married or living together, but she took some pains to explain to me that he went home to his apartment in the senior living complex each night.)

We saw that old guy and his other 'date' at Wendy's once, too. He looked rather embarrassed.

Of course, neither woman counted worth a crap when he died. His children never even offered Dottie a chance to attend the funeral. So cruel and classless.
Image.Image

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:35 pm

If my wife had been interested in some other man and I hadn't been interested in fighting for her, most likely, if not certainly, she would have every reason not to be interested in me. And I think, in fairness, that the reverse would be perfectly valid.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:39 am

So, how do you suggest a woman should compete for a man? And vice versa?

And then must you keep competing for the rest of your life together?
Image.Image

Return to “Drabble Fanfiction”