Perceptions of Malcolm

For all those girls that can't get enough of the British bomber.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

ginamr
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Show On Map: No

Re: Perceptions of Malcolm

Postby ginamr » Tue May 15, 2007 12:20 am

If anyone read my story, Earth Divided, I sort of explained Malcolm's attitude when he first met Trip.

He'd just been dumped for another guy by this girl he was really into and it took awhile for him to get over it.

I see Malcolm as the type of guy who acts tough, but is really a softy at heart. He does his duty and some people think to the extreme, but his duty has been a lot of his life from what I can see. He doesn't take relationships very seriously because he's so afraid of getting hurt the way that one chick hurt him.

He's not a weakling on the inside, but he has a more romantic and slightly overdramatic perspective. From what I saw on the show, he's willing to protect those he cares about because that's his unique way of showing how he feels about someone, not b/c of a death wish.

I think our dear Malcolm just needs a good woman's love Wink wink wink, hint hint (HOSHI!!!!!!!!)
New:
Coming Home: Five+Epilogue
6.06: Fall Out

Under Construction:
The Prank War 2
Secret Meetings, Story Two--Wet
6.07: Vestiges of Qualor
Coming This Christmas (December 2012): White Christmas
Hybrid: Prologue & Chapter One--Inspired by Aquarius's "Tag" challenge.

auroraborealis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby auroraborealis » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:16 pm

I know this thread is probably dead and I'm a new comer, but I've always thought the best way to discribe Malcolm is a Hemingway Hero.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:03 am

Hmmm... :) Hemingway? Elucidate please? :)
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:42 am

Hmm. I never saw him as a hard drinking tough guy. I see him more as a proper Brit. The sort of stiff-upper-lip fellow who'd give his life for you in a fight but still want to call you by rank and serial number in private. 8)
Image sig by chrisis1033

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:47 am

Serious, deep, possibly intellectual. Well-read, anyway.
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

auroraborealis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby auroraborealis » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:51 am

While Malcolm is physically tough and brave, he seems to be damaged is some way shape or form. Not to the point of suicidal tendencies, but definatly damaged. I think that's why a lot of people pair him with Hoshi. Hoshi seems to be a people fixer. Empathtic and kind. She needs to be needed.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:21 am

Truthfully, I always saw Hoshi more as a fixee, rather than a fixer. Just my opinion.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:13 am

blacknblue wrote:Truthfully, I always saw Hoshi more as a fixee, rather than a fixer. Just my opinion.

I don't think she's written consistently when you get right down to it. Sometimes she's so bold and utterly lacking in shyness. But they just had to have their Scared Hoshi eps. I guess you could argue she's even lacking in shyness about her own fears.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:21 am

auroraborealis wrote:While Malcolm is physically tough and brave, he seems to be damaged is some way shape or form. Not to the point of suicidal tendencies, but definatly damaged. I think that's why a lot of people pair him with Hoshi. Hoshi seems to be a people fixer. Empathtic and kind. She needs to be needed.
Hmm, good insight there.
blacknblue wrote:Truthfully, I always saw Hoshi more as a fixee, rather than a fixer. Just my opinion.
:shock: What? *blinks in surprise* No, seriously. What?

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:49 pm

Image sig by chrisis1033

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:47 am

That's one of my favorites! I have to admit that at first I disliked the addition of Malcolm's Section 31 past, but it's grown on me.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:17 am

JadziaKathryn wrote:That's one of my favorites! I have to admit that at first I disliked the addition of Malcolm's Section 31 past, but it's grown on me.

I like it, but Section 31... oh my!
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

auroraborealis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby auroraborealis » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:04 pm

I had almost forgotten those two episodes. That vid definatly made me want to re-watch them.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:09 am

OK I love Malcolm he's actually quite unique. Let's take a look at Starfleet Security Officers for a minute. I'm not really sure who filled that role in TOS, probably Checkov... Actually figuring out who did what in TOS is tricky. Only Kirk, McCoy, and Scotty are really well defined. Spock does everything! Anyway back to my point, Security Officers are a might dull in Trek. There's Checkov who never really got a chance to go BOOM! Worf who loved battle like a Klingon loves battle but wasn't much for Explosions, and honestly he wasn't so much a protector as a warrior. Which is why he is a Klingon I'm not complaining. Odo who wasn't Starfleet and rather more of a police chief than anything else. But he did have some Sherlock moments. And Tuvok who was great at his job but kind of got stuck being more of a Jimminy Cricket than a blow the bad guys away type. Which is fine he's Vulcan he's supposed to be that way. But Vulcans are pacifists I never thought the profession meshed well.

Then you have Malcolm, he's not a fake Brit. Or a Brit who is faking something else. He's sarcastic, introverted, military to the core, and he's a PYROMANIAC! He's can be charming as all heck but completely clueless when it comes to interacting with people on ship because he has trouble Fraternizing. He can get any woman he wants but can't keep one. He's completely estranged from his family, it's obvious he and his father have MAJOR issues. And his mother seems like she "buries her head in the sand." He's never requested a favorite food from his own family! DANGER WILL ROBINSON! He's got one heck of a back story.

Now look at his career choices, No Royal Navy for him. Section 31 I'm sorry ENT might not have shown it but he did some pretty dark stuff there. He learned to be absolutely cut off from everyone. To only trust himself, that takes a lot of strength. Especially to walk away from that and still be sane, he's not a weak man or one with a death wish. And I still say he uses his spy skills to do his job on Enterprise To borrow a quote from the movie "The Queen" '"Duty first self second." it's his duty to keep his Captain and crew-mates from harm. He accepts that he could die doing that, he doesn't court death. How is that different from most soldiers? He's good at what he does, and his job is to keep people alive he can't do that dead.

I know I got some comments that I made him a little too guilt-ridden about Masaro and Terra Prime. But I think he takes his duty very personally. And Enterprise is the only real family he's got particularly Trip. But I can't see him wallowing for long, even if he is overly-dramatic sometimes he's practical. All in all Malcolm is fascinating and fun to play with.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:15 pm

OK, in relation to a story I'm thinking of, I have a couple random questions:

1) Malcolm had a sister Maggie, right?

2) What was her age relative to his, approxiamately? Older, younger, close in age?

3) In one episode, Malcolm and Trip are bent over some engineering project on a table having have some "deep" conversation. It's kind of like, "So how do you know she's sthe right one?" In my very vauge memory Trip was coming down on the side of there being a "right one" and Malcolm more like "If you can find one you get along with, what's the problem?" Then the engineering project kind of goes FZZZ and breaks. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Which episode was that?
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Return to “Malcolm and Hoshi Discussion”