Perceptions of Malcolm

For all those girls that can't get enough of the British bomber.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Perceptions of Malcolm

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Malcolm's Sister is Maddie, for Madaline. (I spelled that wrong) Is she older or younger? Doesn't say. I'm thinking they're pretty close in age one way or the other. As for the episode in question that would be Future Tense season 2.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Postby Alelou » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:22 pm

Yep. Thanks to Chrissie's Transcripts Site:

TUCKER: Where's the fun in exploring if you know how it all turns out? Hand me that micro-caliper. Suppose you could look into some future book and find out the name of the woman you're going to marry. Would you want to know it?
REED: Absolutely. Think of all the awkward first dates I could avoid.
TUCKER: Fine. So one day you meet Jane Doe. You go out a few times, and you pop the question. She says I do, and the two you live happily ever after.
REED: Sounds perfect.
TUCKER: Now, did you marry her for love, or because some book told you to?
REED: If we're happily ever after, what difference does it make?
Last edited by Alelou on Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Dinah
Commander
Commander

Postby Dinah » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:22 pm

His sister's name is Madeline. I don't think they gave her age or whether she was older or younger than Malcolm. Maybe someone else knows.

The talk between Trip and Malcolm about the "right one" is from Future Tense.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:36 pm

Dang! I knew I spelled it wrong. Most of my spelling is typos from faulty fingers that one wasn't. :-X
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:03 am

WarpGirl wrote:OK I love Malcolm he's actually quite unique. Let's take a look at Starfleet Security Officers for a minute. I'm not really sure who filled that role in TOS, probably Checkov... Actually figuring out who did what in TOS is tricky. Only Kirk, McCoy, and Scotty are really well defined. Spock does everything! Anyway back to my point, Security Officers are a might dull in Trek. There's Checkov who never really got a chance to go BOOM! Worf who loved battle like a Klingon loves battle but wasn't much for Explosions, and honestly he wasn't so much a protector as a warrior. Which is why he is a Klingon I'm not complaining. Odo who wasn't Starfleet and rather more of a police chief than anything else. But he did have some Sherlock moments. And Tuvok who was great at his job but kind of got stuck being more of a Jimminy Cricket than a blow the bad guys away type. Which is fine he's Vulcan he's supposed to be that way. But Vulcans are pacifists I never thought the profession meshed well.

Then you have Malcolm, he's not a fake Brit. Or a Brit who is faking something else. He's sarcastic, introverted, military to the core, and he's a PYROMANIAC! He's can be charming as all heck but completely clueless when it comes to interacting with people on ship because he has trouble Fraternizing. He can get any woman he wants but can't keep one. He's completely estranged from his family, it's obvious he and his father have MAJOR issues. And his mother seems like she "buries her head in the sand." He's never requested a favorite food from his own family! DANGER WILL ROBINSON! He's got one heck of a back story.

Now look at his career choices, No Royal Navy for him. Section 31 I'm sorry ENT might not have shown it but he did some pretty dark stuff there. He learned to be absolutely cut off from everyone. To only trust himself, that takes a lot of strength. Especially to walk away from that and still be sane, he's not a weak man or one with a death wish. And I still say he uses his spy skills to do his job on Enterprise To borrow a quote from the movie "The Queen" '"Duty first self second." it's his duty to keep his Captain and crew-mates from harm. He accepts that he could die doing that, he doesn't court death. How is that different from most soldiers? He's good at what he does, and his job is to keep people alive he can't do that dead.

I know I got some comments that I made him a little too guilt-ridden about Masaro and Terra Prime. But I think he takes his duty very personally. And Enterprise is the only real family he's got particularly Trip. But I can't see him wallowing for long, even if he is overly-dramatic sometimes he's practical. All in all Malcolm is fascinating and fun to play with.

Hey! Warp Girl. I just found this. We think alike!
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:45 am

Yippieeeeee!

Fics

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:57 am

As the happily ever after conversation shows, I think Malcolm is very much a pragmatist. Now a lot of the others among the crew tend to be idealists to some extent or another, but not Malcolm.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:00 am

Right! Cool. Thanks guys.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:03 am

I don't think Trip is an idealist so much as an incurable romantic. Not a bad thing at all. But I like Malcolm's practicality. Actually, I want a Trip for my wild, passionate, unihibited side. And a Malcolm for my rule-abiding, proper behavior needing, shy to the point of isolation side. Hmm not a bad idea in theory, but very impractical for reality.

Fics

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:28 am

Well now I've posted in three threads, but here's my perception of Malcolm:

PTSD

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:55 pm

JadziaKathryn wrote:As the happily ever after conversation shows, I think Malcolm is very much a pragmatist. Now a lot of the others among the crew tend to be idealists to some extent or another, but not Malcolm.

I'm not sure about that.
Malcolm is one of my liked characters, and - if I have to be honest - that's because I feel in him a tension toward something which not even he knows.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:59 pm

Malcolm is a rational person who is a realist. Does he believe in happily ever after? I think he hopes it exists and he gets that. But does he realize it is rare, and subjective? Yeah I think he does. He's not an optomist but he's not a pessimist either. I like it.

Fics

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:50 am

The new soundtrack at work has Too Cool for School. I tend to analyze music a lot, especially at work when the tasks I'm doing don't require a lot of metal work. I sort of like this song for Malcolm. Not every bit, but overall. It might make a fun video someday, (no breath-holding there on my account, though). Anyone else agree?

Return to “Malcolm and Hoshi Discussion”