what is Hoshi's highest college degree?

For all those girls that can't get enough of the British bomber.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Linda
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

what is Hoshi's highest college degree?

Postby Linda » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:48 pm

Did Hoshi have a PHD in linguistics? Did they ever say? Or did she have a BS or MS? :?:

I would like to know for a fic I am writing where she does a linguistics study. I heard of a linguistics study on a pod cast which really caught my imagination and wanted to have Hoshi do something similar. So it would be nice to know her academic background. :)
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Re: what is Hoshi's highest college degree?

Postby Alelou » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:15 pm

Linda wrote:Did Hoshi have a PHD in linguistics? Did they ever say? Or did she have a BS or MS? :?:

I would like to know for a fic I am writing where she does a linguistics study. I heard of a linguistics study on a pod cast which really caught my imagination and wanted to have Hoshi do something similar. So it would be nice to know her academic background. :)

We see her teaching at the college level so she probably either has a PhD or is in the process, unless colleges have become a lot less rigid a hundred years from now. (We can hope.)

Sometimes I think it would have been interesting to make Hoshi an idiot savant who was clueless about everything but her astonishingly brilliant translation skills, or at least someone with a bad case of Asperger's. But someone like that probably wouldn't be trusted on the bridge or a first contact situation.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:15 pm

Unless someone knows for sure if canon has assigned her a lesser degree level, it does make sense that she has a phd. Yet I never heard anyone refer to her as Dr. Sato, even in jest. But it could be a good story line for her to be working on a doctoral thesis, especially out in space where she could run into all kinds of interesting languages. I was thinking that might have been one of Archer's enticements to get her on the Enterprise. So Alelou, you are thinking about the same level I was and I think other people would agree that phd or phd candidate makes sense. Anyone have other thoughts on the subject?
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Postby Lady Rainbow » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:36 pm

If she doesn't have a PhD, she was probably in the process of doing her doctorate. She could have been a graduate student or PhD candidate when she was teaching in Brazil.

Alelou wrote:Sometimes I think it would have been interesting to make Hoshi an idiot savant who was clueless about everything but her astonishingly brilliant translation skills, or at least someone with a bad case of Asperger's. But someone like that probably wouldn't be trusted on the bridge or a first contact situation.

Yeah, that would've been interesting, since she said that she was pretty isolated when she was a child. But someone with Aspbergers in linguistics would most probably be more concerned with the structure or the syntax of a language, as if it was a theoretical puzzle or code...and not be too interested in the SOCIAL aspect of it. Which Hoshi is...she spoke with the couple on Risa, for example. She would have turned down Archer's request to join Enterprise because it was too much of a radical change of familiar surroundings. (Or she would've hightailed back to Earth after a VERY short time.)

(And yeah, I know some academics who fit the description above. LOL)
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

hth2k
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby hth2k » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:17 pm

She could have been a TA under one of the professors. Grad students (slave labor) do most of the day to day teaching in many universities. I rarely saw the Prof.

HtH

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:25 pm

Yeah, I was one of those TA's. But there was no way I could have said, hey dudes, I gotta go join the crew of a starship now. Because TA's are there in exchange for free graduate tuition. I suppose she could have been an instructor or even an adjunct. They are usually working on their doctorates, though. And they're under contract for the semester.

Also, I do think language instruction is probably one of those areas where you have actual real professors -- once you get out of intro classes, anyway.
Image.Image

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:50 am

PhD. Definitely a PhD.

(For that matter, I hold that Trip and Malcolm have PhDs too. Archer maybe a Master's.)

Anyway, with Hoshi teaching and her skills, I can't see her without a PhD at that level. She probably finished it young as well. As for not being referred to as "Dr. Sato," I know many people who prefer not to be called by that even though they hold a PhD. Especially where Hoshi is young I can see her not wanting to call attention to herself with that title.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:27 pm

Personally I think people who aren't physicians who want to be called doctor outside of the university setting are being hopelessly pretentious.
Image.Image

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:17 pm

Great ideas here, everybody! I am toying with a little dramatic tension in that Starfleet pulled strings to get Hoshi out of slave labor TA mode, wisking her off on the Enterprise and got some professor's nose out of joint.

But I foggily remember Hoshi saying in one episode that she ran some sort of betting pool and got kicked out of Starfleet Academy. Or am I dreaming up that reference? It just occurred to me now, so if anyone can point out the episode that was in, it would help a lot. It would never do to contradict canon, now would it? :| :mrgreen: :badgrin:

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Postby Lady Rainbow » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:22 pm

Linda wrote:But I foggily remember Hoshi saying in one episode that she ran some sort of betting pool and got kicked out of Starfleet Academy. Or am I dreaming up that reference? It just occurred to me now, so if anyone can point out the episode that was in, it would help a lot. It would never do to contradict canon, now would it? :| :mrgreen: :badgrin:

"Observer Effect" . Hoshi told Trip about it when they were stuck in Decon. I'm watching it now on Sci-Fi's marathon. :lol:
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:28 pm

Hmmm, so she is kicked out of the Academy and goes on to some other university where she is working on a phd and doing TA work to pay for her tuition...? I would think Starfleet Academy, like other military academies would not have charged its cadets tuition. I will have to watch the episode as I have all of the seasons on DVD now. Thanks, Lady Rainbow.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:31 pm

Whenever you want to check Enterprise dialogue, just look up the episode here:

http://www.chakoteya.net/Enterprise/episodes.htm

It's a wonderful resource for anyone who likes to play off canon.
Image.Image

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:35 pm

Thanks, Alelou! Got it bookmarked now.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:15 pm

Well, there was no "Starfleet Academy" back then. Only something called "Starfleet Training". My guess is that you did your academic work in other institutions and then got a course at SF Training to get a commission. Or that you did both those things simultaneously.

So I can picture Hoshi getting kicked out of SF Training but continued her linguistics education. I'm not sure if it was specified if she was ever allowed back in SF Training or not. Maybe Archer arranged for her to get a commission anyway when he "hijacked" her in Broken Bow?
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:07 pm

Okay, thanks KTR. Do you know any specific episodes which refer to training vs an academy? And do you know when the academy was supposed to be established? Maybe canon does not say?

Return to “Malcolm and Hoshi Discussion”