R/S: Why?

For all those girls that can't get enough of the British bomber.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: R/S: Why?

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:17 pm

Trip was born in 2121 making him 30 in Broken Bow, Hoshi was born 2129, my limited math tells me that's 8 years difference. Here are her stats Courtesy od Memory-Alpha...Gender: Female
Species: Human
Affiliation: Earth Starfleet
Communications officer
Serial number: SA-037-0198-CL
Born: July 9, 2129
Father: Mr. Sato
Other Relative(s): Michio Sato (grandfather)
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Ulva
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Show On Map: No

Postby Ulva » Wed May 11, 2011 9:31 am

Good lord! I figured she was young but 22? That's... young. Especially considering her skills in the language department. No wonder she was a bit frightened in the beginning.

On the whole ship thing; well, as much as I would like to see Malcolm happy (he strikes me as one very lonely person) I don't think he'd allow himself to fall for Hoshi. Just the fact that he outranks her is a problem. However, I do think that he likes her a lot and if they ever got off that boat Enterprise things might turn out differently (or if Hoshi had the same rank).

I'm not sure I think Hoshi really is anything but friendly towards Malcolm though. I always got the feeling that he cared more about her than the other way around.
Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right. - Isaac Asimov

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed May 11, 2011 10:20 am

If you go to trekcore.com there's a gallery of screencaps for deleted scenes, the ones for Broken Bow are quite interesting. From the looks of things the original plan was to have something develop between them. It never happened. :roll:

About the rank thing, in seasons 1&2 I'd agree with you. But I think Malcolm really loosened up and went from the British Navy Officer mentality he was raised with to typical SF officer attitude. SF has never had the types of fraternization rules of most typical militaries.

As for Hoshi not liking Malcolm as much as he likes her, well... they were both so tragically under used that you can use evidence both ways. But I still say Sleeping Dogs showed their true potential.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Ulva
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Ulva » Wed May 11, 2011 10:59 am

I couldn't find the deleted scenes over there when I went looking. And deleted scenes are deleted. We never got to see anything.

ETA: SF might not have had them but anyone who is in it's right mind would realise that it's not a good idea to entertain a relationship with someone you potentially have to order around. especially not under the circumstances they were in. I'm not talking about the danger they sometimes face but the fact that they quite simply can't get off the damn ship. It's like when you work on ferries. You'd better be careful what you say and do because 1. there's that damn rumour mill and 2. if things don't work out it's a hassle because you just can't get away from that person. And if it's your superior... now that can turn really ugly.
Last edited by Ulva on Wed May 11, 2011 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right. - Isaac Asimov

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed May 11, 2011 11:04 am

I'd post a link but it never works. :cry: But they are there. And I know deleted scenes don't technically "count" I just thought they were cool. EDIT: NEVER MIND IT SO DIDN'T WORK!
Last edited by WarpGirl on Wed May 11, 2011 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fics

Ulva
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Ulva » Wed May 11, 2011 11:06 am

Damn it! I went back and edited the post and you managed to post while I was at it. But I can't see a link?

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed May 11, 2011 11:09 am

Well according to my screen the picture I was talking about is up! Weird. Stupid thing! I love trekcore but this is rediculous! And romantic relationships between superiors and subordenents might not be a good idea in real life, but it's fiction! Which makes it fun. And well, same rank or not T'Pol was first officer and Trip's superior.

http://ent.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/ ... 54_019.jpg

Do not click, paste in your browser. It might work then.

Fics

Ulva
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Ulva » Wed May 11, 2011 11:21 am

Well, that's the tricky thing. They hold the same rank and Trip was supposed to be the XO when T'Pol was placed as the XO, making Trip #3. In the beginning he did challenge her on authority but by season 3 he had accepted her as the XO.

I don't think the relationship would have happened if it hadn't been for the Expanse and the events that followed because of it. That's why Rigil's DivPaths is working because again, they are in an extraordinary situation. Trip were very aware of his position and he wouldn't have done anything about any feelings unless T'Pol had done something. In any normal situation I don't think T'Pol would have done what she did in S3. Had they continued warping around in space boldly going nowhere, they'd stayed friends.

ETA: And nope. Ain't getting it to work no matter what I do. :lol:

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed May 11, 2011 11:27 am

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Sorry. I don't get it. I posted the image and I'm looking at it right now! Sometimes I hate techology!

About the ranks thing, after 15 years of Stargate and still no canonical confirmation that my "ship" has happened, 10 years of JAG waiting and chucking things at the TV because they waited 6 years too long, 6 years of Bones (although tomorrow the wait might be over) I say SCREW REALITY! I take what I can get, so thank god Trek doesn't bother with frat rules!

Fics

Ulva
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Ulva » Wed May 11, 2011 1:28 pm

There are non-frat rules, recommendations and then there's your personal view on things. There may be rules but some people will break them and when there are no rules people may choose to not act on certain emotions because they don't think it's a good idea given the situation. I have fortunately never been in a situation when I have had to take decisions like that but I know people who have, and under different regulations too. My experience is that it's usually a bad idea to act on emotions if you're in a situation where you are dependant on the other person, or the other way around, like professor/student. But even in more equal situations it can be difficult if there's a fallout.

In fiction you can choose what ever you want for your characters of course, but I always have a gripe with decisions too easily made so to speak. Trip would know just how messy things can get (and it sort of went down that path in S4 too) and considering T'Pol being Vulcan where this basically is unheard of... I personally don't see it happening just like that. They'd have to end up in a situation when they become dependant on each other. Bringing them closer than they usually would be. That happened in the Expanse (spiked with some Trell-D to really mess up T'Pol).

And when speaking of Malcolm, he's not an optimist, and considering that he's supposed to be a tactician and the ship's security officer, he'd be able to picture worst possible scenario quite easily, even when it comes to personal business. Just because there is chemistry between people they don't have to act on it, and some people can actually detach the head from the heart. 8)

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed May 11, 2011 1:42 pm

Oh I concur like I said, in Real Life. And yes I agree that it wouldn't be an easy situation for either Hoshi or Malcolm. However from a practical standpoint... Being on a starship is in some ways worse them being on a current deployment in today's military. In ENT era sub-space communication was still finicky.

Here and now there are satalites that do a pretty good job of kepping families in contact with each other.

In ENT era the crew is far more isolated. There are no starbases, no federation planets, very few allies, and thus far only one known "relatively" safe spot for R&R.

Frankly in that situation I don't think it's healthy or ethical to deny people forming relationships.

Fics

Ulva
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Ulva » Wed May 11, 2011 1:54 pm

It's impossible to not have some relationships form on a human starship, that much is clear. If it works or not depends a lot on the people involved. When it comes to Mr Reed I'm afraid I'm voting for him not acting on any emotions. At least not as long as they're puttering around the galaxy being explorers.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed May 11, 2011 2:00 pm

:dunno: The fun in this is that everyone is different. Personally, I think that Malcolm is strong enough to say, "There are valid reasons not to do this. But I'm strong enough to take the risks." Whether these types of things work out all hinge on one thing. Are the two parties involved willing to accept responsibility? I think Mal would.

Fics

Ulva
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Ulva » Wed May 11, 2011 2:24 pm

I'll modify my view slightly. Meeting the other Enterprise in the Expanse did make him think, so he's probably more prepared to consider acting on emotions after that. He obviously didn't like the idea that he ended up alone in the other time line.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed May 11, 2011 2:26 pm

That was gonna be my next point. Eventually you gotta wake up and say "Life is just too damn short!"

Fics

Return to “Malcolm and Hoshi Discussion”