R/S: Why?

For all those girls that can't get enough of the British bomber.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

R/S: Why?

Postby JadziaKathryn » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:12 pm

We need a new discussion in this forum. It has been too long. Therefore, I submit the following for discussion:

I was drawn to Malcolm/Hoshi even before TnT. In fact, when the preview for "E2" came out (keeping in mind I'd seen only a few S3 episodes) I didn't care about TnT so much but squealed over the prospect of future R/S. Literally squealed, much to the shock of my roommate. (Whether they meant to or not, the writers gave us a loophole, because since Hoshi didn't want to know who she married, Malcolm might've lied about not marrying because he didn't want to tell her what she didn't want to know. And he'd probably be a bit freaked out anyway. It's completely plausible!) Other than "Silent Enemy," where they had some great interaction, Malcolm and Hoshi rarely even shared the screen. So why the shippers?

A theory comes to mind. It's notable that a great deal of the R/S fans seem to be women. Now, let's face it ladies, don't we sometimes dream about taming a slightly (or less slightly for some, maybe) wild man? There's something exciting about it. But Malcolm is a complex, likable character, so I think it's more than that. We want to see him happily paired off.

Thoughts?

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Re: R/S: Why?

Postby Lady Rainbow » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:42 pm

Gotta admit, there's a part of me that'd like something GOOD happen to Malcolm. He's dedicated, loyal, intelligent, good-looking...what's there for women not to like? LOL. And the accent...

There's the scene in "Sleeping Dogs" where Hoshi suggests firing all their torpedoes (watch Malcolm's reaction), plus the one in "Marauders" where Hoshi's helping to train the colonists (again, Malcolm's reaction). Plus the decon scene together (I think "Sleeping Dogs" again). Malcolm seems really concerned for Hoshi when she decides to stay with Tarquin in "Exile", and Malcolm refers to Hoshi BY NAME when listing the people who were injured in "Minefield."

And maybe I'm just reading too much, but...that scene where Malcolm talks to Hayes in "Countdown" before Hayes rescues Hoshi. Malcolm says, "Ensign Sato is a friend." I always got the feeling Malcolm means more than just a "friend". And Hayes seemed to pick up on it when he said, "We'll bring her home."
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:51 pm

A double couple is well accepted, and I think this other couple can be nothing else that Malcolm and Hoshi, because of many signs.
Well, certainly not Archer and Hoshi, as badly shown on MU. 8)
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Postby Lady Rainbow » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:08 pm

Asso wrote:A double couple is well accepted, and I think this other couple can be nothing else that Malcolm and Hoshi, because of many signs.
Well, certainly not Archer and Hoshi, as badly shown on MU. 8)

Yeah, but I thought MU Hoshi was just stringing MU Archer along for the ride...manipulating him until she was in position to get what she wanted.
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:54 pm

I can't say I 'ship for them. But what I can say is that I really can't see Archer/Hoshi or Travis/Hoshi. The first is just plain icky - Archer is something of a father figure for her. And Travis and Hoshi are more like brother and sister to me, a sibling relationship - so that would be icky too.

Trip is taken and that leaves Malcolm. And they did have a nice misunderstanding in Silent Enemy. When I first saw that episode I thought TPTB would go with that 'ship.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:57 pm

Hmm. It was yucky in MU, but I could actually imagine Hoshi and Archer nursing a little quiet interest/protectiveness the rest of the time, if I was working hard at it. (Which I generally don't.) He is old for her, though.

It was nice to see a run-down of the evidence for an R/S ship, because frankly I've never really seen it. But then I don't really see any compelling evidence for an Archer/T'Pol ship either, even in the supposedly shippy episodes. It's played like a joke in ANIS, and it felt completely flat and imposed to me in Twighlight.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:09 pm

Well, the MU is an entirely different ballgame. MU Archer was certainly not a father figure. It was yucky in an entirely different way.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:10 pm

Well, Travis (canon relationship) has that reporter/spy woman, Gannet? And I felt sorry for poor Malcolm in two episodes. One was E2 where he never married over the years. The other was when when shortly after the Xindi attack on Earth, he asked Trip about a memorial service for Lizzy and Trip just about bit his head off. I was actually mad at Trip for that! So I wanted to see Malcolm have SOMEONE so that he would not be so lonely. Hoshi seemed so compatable with him, even early on. It is too bad they never developed their relationship on the series. There is a lot they didn't do on the series...I guess that is why we are all here! :? :| :thumbsup:
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:41 pm

Linda wrote: ... There is a lot they didn't do on the series...I guess that is why we are all here! :? :| :thumbsup:

Exactly, and (speaking hypothetically) do you think how much a Malcolm/Hoshi couple would have been comforting for E2 T'Pol? :wink:
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:14 am

Lady Rainbow wrote:Gotta admit, there's a part of me that'd like something GOOD happen to Malcolm. He's dedicated, loyal, intelligent, good-looking...what's there for women not to like? LOL. And the accent...
Yes, indeed! There is that emotional reluctance but I think he opened up more as the series progressed.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:24 am

I could see a Travis/Hoshi ship. They are both quiet people. the kind that watch and listen instead of grabbing the limeilight. But both are highly intelligent and supremely qualified at their respective jobs. Both are thoughtful but strong, and willing to give everything they have in the line of duty. I see a lot of common factors with those two.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:58 pm

Mh...
I don't know. Travis is... not clean-cut. :?

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:06 pm

Not clean-cut? What about him isn't clean cut? He's honest and faithful and hardworking and softspoken. The boy's an Eagle Scout, for cryin' out loud.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:16 pm

Maybe I didn't choose the right word.
"Imperfectly characterized" ... does it work better?

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:39 pm

Maybe "insufficiently characterized". But that's what fanfics are for. 8)
Image sig by chrisis1033

Return to “Malcolm and Hoshi Discussion”