R/S: Why?

For all those girls that can't get enough of the British bomber.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: R/S: Why?

Postby Silverbullet » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:22 pm

Warpgirl you can be a traditionalist and not go in to the family Busineess. I still think that Malcom was Scot not that it matters. Malcom's Father was Royal Navy but Malcom didn't want to go into the Royal Navy that doesn't mean he was not a traditionalist. He could rever his Scot heritage and traditions. Believe that Hoshi says somewhere in the series that she was raised in a strict Ja[anese environment honoring Japanese traditions. Think that Hoshi would find Comfort in Traditions.

But then, what dio I know?
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:31 pm

Nope Malcolm is definitely not a Scot, and as for Hoshi a tradtitional Japanese upbringing doesn't necessarily mean a Buhddist one. More likely it would have been a Shinto upbringing. Big difference. Are you sure you're not confusing Hoshi with Keiko from TNG and DS9? Because Keiko had a traditional Japanese upbringing, and she was Shinto.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:43 pm

Malcolm a Scot? Based on what? He doesn't have the slightest trace of a Scottish accent, nor do his relatives. They are also not very Scottish in demeanor. To me his folks don't behave the least bit like anyone I've ever met who was native to Scotland or even the northern counties.

Hoshi obviously grew up eating Japanese food, but I don't recall her referring to her upbringing in other ways that made it sound particularly Japanese. For some reason I had the impression she was from SF, but maybe I'm wrong.

Of course, after 200 more years of globalization who the heck knows what ethnic identity will really mean or sound like.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:59 pm

Hoshi was born in Kyoto Japan. So she is definitely Japanese by nationality and heritage. But who knows if that means she had a tradtitional upbringing. Also it doesn't mean she's a Buddhist. Malcolm well... It's not so specific but he is British, and I'm pretty sure that if he were Scottish at all they would have made it a little more obvious. I mean he doesn't have a Scottish accent he has an English accent big difference. However good point on the globalization issue.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:01 pm

I think Hoshi was raised at least partly in Brazil - even today, Sao Paulo has a very large Japanese immigrant community, so I think that was a tip to the globalization that you're talking about, Alelou.

I know it was a "vision" but I think in Vanishing Point, her father is in Brazil when Archer contacts him.

And Malcolm is English, of that I am sure, but we know his parents spent time in Malaysia - indicating that the Commonwealth countries retain at least a few ties to Britain in the ENT era.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:11 pm

I'm almost sure in Vanishing Point Archer was contacting Hoshi's family in Japan. I can't remember where I read it but Brazil came after Hoshi left home. Hold on let me check and see if I can find it... OK this might help, not mine...
Born in Kyoto, Japan on July 9, 2129, the second of three children, Hoshi Sato showed from an early age that she was gifted. Most of her childhood was spent with private tutors, learning languages. Sato did not have the opportunity to become very close to anyone. To her, it was often normal to spend an entire day virtually alone. This feeling of isolation stayed with Sato throughout her life; even as an adult surrounded by other people, Sato still felt alone. The reason she studied languages was to try to make connections to other people and cultures. The last person Sato was really close to was her grandfather, Michio Sato. (ENT: "Exile") She also had a black belt in Aikido. (ENT: "Observer Effect") Sato mentioned that when she was twelve years old, she had a pen pal from Brisbane, Australia. She loved receiving the letters, noting that "it was like this little window into distant places with strange-sounding names." (ENT: "Dear Doctor")

When Sato was younger, she would often use "my stomach is a little unsettled" as an excuse not to eat her grandmother's soba noodles, which she disliked. Eventually, though, it became one of her favorite foods. (ENT: "Exile") Sato was never called to the principal's office. (ENT: "The Council") Her mother wanted her to become a pianist, but Sato chose a scientific career instead. (ENT: "Damage")

Fics

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:35 pm

I could be wrong of course. But I thought there was some other Brazilian, Hoshi connection besides Broken Bow. In any case, I do think people in the future will have spent time all over the place - including living places. Once the Earth governments united, it was probably easy to get a job on another continent for a few years. Hoshi would be an natural to do that as well, given that she's a linguist.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:08 pm

Oh you're right about that, I just can't find anything that says she spent any time in Brazil as a child.

Fics

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:07 am

Oh, while I'm here, I'll just mention that I've only ever written Malcolm & Hoshi in one story (my big serial, Family Secrets) and I originally envisioned them as comic relief and then they turned all dramatic - which surprised me. Anyway, spoiler alert for that story,
SPOILER!!!:
I just finished writing a scene where Malcolm proposes and Hoshi says yes. And it was one of the toughest scenes to write because I didn't want it to be a cliche and I wanted it to feel right for where the characters were - in the middle of a war. It's basically the wrap up scene for their romance in that story.
I find it much easier to write non-cliched romantic scenes for TnT because she's a Vulcan and therefor isn't going to react like a human. But I relished the challenge of writing two humans in love.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:41 am

Woo Hoo I do love an R/S romance in a fic.

Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:25 am

What is the source that says Kyoto? Is that startrek.com or a script?

Yeah, I know, blah blah blah startrek.com is official, but if something is never mentioned in a script I consider that not something less than canon. Some marketing dude probably writes startrek.com.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:58 pm

It's said in Exile. And I think Vanishing Point.

Fics

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:24 pm

Minor point British (Britain) includes England, Wales, Northern and Ireland and Scotland. While in England I met scots who spoke with a british accent because they had spent most of their lives in England still they were Scot born. So, Malcom could be British and speak with an English accent and still be a born Scot.

Not sure but I think that Linda Park was born in Kyoto and she may have wanted her character to be from there.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Escriba
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Escriba » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:30 pm

Silverbullet wrote:Not sure but I think that Linda Park was born in Kyoto and she may have wanted her character to be from there.

Mmmm... No, sorry, Linda Park is Korean (South Korean), raised in US.

"I mean... well, you know what people call men who wear wigs and gowns, don't you?"
"Yes, miss."
"You do?"
"Yes, miss. Lawyers, miss."

The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:36 pm

Besides very few Trek Actors get to say ANYTHING about their characters. TPTB didn't like it when they try.

Fics

Return to “Malcolm and Hoshi Discussion”