R/S: Why?

For all those girls that can't get enough of the British bomber.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: R/S: Why?

Postby Silverbullet » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:41 pm

Escriba, strange I read i her official star Trek bio that she was born in KYoto and was Japanese. ot unusul though. Official bios can be whatever the studio wants it to be.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:48 pm

That was HOSHI'S bio not Linda Park's bio. Linda Park's clearly states she was born in South Korea and raised in LA. Hoshi is not Linda Park, Linda Park is Hoshi.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:07 pm

Silverbullet wrote:Minor point British (Britain) includes England, Wales, Northern and Ireland and Scotland. While in England I met scots who spoke with a british accent because they had spent most of their lives in England still they were Scot born. So, Malcom could be British and speak with an English accent and still be a born Scot.

If you're a born Scot who was raised in England by two people with utterly English accents, then I'd say your Scottishness is technical at best. But why do you even care?

Also, as you say, Scots are British. Ergo, they all have "British" accents, not that there's anything particularly useful in saying so.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:26 pm

Thank you Alelou!
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:46 pm

[Riley voice] "You know what Malcolm's mistake was? He wasn't born an Irishman." [/Riley voice]

:-p
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:52 pm

Oh I get it! AWESOME!

Fics

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:03 pm

WarpGirl wrote:I'm almost sure in Vanishing Point Archer was contacting Hoshi's family in Japan. I can't remember where I read it but Brazil came after Hoshi left home. Hold on let me check and see if I can find it... OK this might help, not mine...
Born in Kyoto, Japan on July 9, 2129, the second of three children, Hoshi Sato showed from an early age that she was gifted. Most of her childhood was spent with private tutors, learning languages. Sato did not have the opportunity to become very close to anyone. To her, it was often normal to spend an entire day virtually alone. This feeling of isolation stayed with Sato throughout her life; even as an adult surrounded by other people, Sato still felt alone. The reason she studied languages was to try to make connections to other people and cultures. The last person Sato was really close to was her grandfather, Michio Sato. (ENT: "Exile") She also had a black belt in Aikido. (ENT: "Observer Effect") Sato mentioned that when she was twelve years old, she had a pen pal from Brisbane, Australia. She loved receiving the letters, noting that "it was like this little window into distant places with strange-sounding names." (ENT: "Dear Doctor")

When Sato was younger, she would often use "my stomach is a little unsettled" as an excuse not to eat her grandmother's soba noodles, which she disliked. Eventually, though, it became one of her favorite foods. (ENT: "Exile") Sato was never called to the principal's office. (ENT: "The Council") Her mother wanted her to become a pianist, but Sato chose a scientific career instead. (ENT: "Damage")

This is funny. I like Hoshi, all though I didn't like her attitude in *the_abomination*. For me, she looks and acts like a good friend of mine, who I miss dearly, who was a Korean American. Nothing of Hoshi reminds me of a Japanese women. In the show I noticed they showed her father in his house in full kimono (look he is Japanese). Of course fashion can change - but Japanese men only wear kimono's on weddings in this age. In the house they wear Japanese pijama's and at work they wear a suit. But when you quoted Hoshi as being lonely and on her own, well, that I can relate to my Japanese friends. The excuse Hoshi gives her grandmother is totally normal form an Asian point of view: the relationship is more important then telling the truth. It would have been nice to show a little more of Hoshi's Japanese side on the show.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:27 pm

Well Accuracy is not something Trek is good at. So I take any discrepencies as "this is the future" I HATED Hoshi in *the_abomination*. More so than I did AU Ho-Hoshi. But I am fond of her. She had to grow on me, but she did that well.

Fics

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:49 am

Silverbullet wrote:Minor point British (Britain) includes England, Wales, Northern and Ireland and Scotland. While in England I met scots who spoke with a british accent because they had spent most of their lives in England still they were Scot born. So, Malcom could be British and speak with an English accent and still be a born Scot.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Scots spell Malcolm's father's name Stewart, as opposed to the English Stuart?

Now, I don't know exactly where Trekdom got the Stuart spelling, but if it's official...

Ha, talk about being nitpicky! (And I'm talking to myself.)

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:55 am

I think it's Stuart. I'm not sure though, I do know both his parents sounded EXTREMELY English. Not a hint of Scottish at all. And you're talking to me, I think?

Fics

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:32 am

Mostly I'm just talking. :) I say English all the way. Reed sounded fairly London, from my limited experience with British accents. (Of course, I also think that English is probably the sexiest accent of all, though Aussie is close.)

opal
Ensign
Ensign

Postby opal » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:34 am

JadziaKathryn wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Scots spell Malcolm's father's name Stewart, as opposed to the English Stuart?

Now, I don't know exactly where Trekdom got the Stuart spelling, but if it's official...

Ha, talk about being nitpicky! (And I'm talking to myself.)

Being Scottish myself perhaps I can add my perspective to this discussion :D

The House of Stuart ruled Scotland for a time (Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Stuart
Neither spelling is as far as I understand is particularly Scottish ie Mac or Mc names. Stewart is a name derived from an occupation like Butcher, Baker etc.

As a Scottish person with a Northern Scottish accent I would never describe myself as having a British accent, Scotland is a separate country with our own traditions and culture just as England, Wales and Northern Ireland have theirs.

Malcolm could have had a Scottish ancestry as the name Malcolm is associated with Scotland but he sounded extremely English to me as did his parents. http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/1/Malcolm

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:57 pm

Thank you for those facinating insights. I must admit, while I can see Malcolm having Scottish ancestors in his family, I can't see him as anything but English.

Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:17 pm

I have a cousin-by-marriage Malcolm who is English, but he married a Scotswoman (my actual cousin) and lives in Edinburgh, so I guess it worked out all right for him in the end.

And her brother, who is of course Scottish, married an Englishwoman. (They also live in Edinburgh.)

Of course, the only daughter to come out of these unions married a Frenchman :shock: and lives in England. :shock: So things can go wrong in the next generation. :raspberry:
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:21 pm

Oh I know my sister is like me Italian/Irish and married a Canadian DUTCH boy! But Mr. and Mrs. Reed were so English that I wanted tea and crumpets in that episode where we "meet" them.

Fics

Return to “Malcolm and Hoshi Discussion”