R/S: Why?

For all those girls that can't get enough of the British bomber.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Show On Map: No

Re: R/S: Why?

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:25 pm

The name Stewart/Stuart is actually from Old English stigeweard, meaning "warden of the sty" (yeah!), so position for someone working at a royal/noble household. It then became sort of a title for a high ranking official, like the Lord High Steward. So I guess the House of Stewart/Stuart at one point held such an office and then became rulers themselves, making their title their name.

But that's the surname. Malcolm's father has this as his first name, so it had probably no relation at all to any Stewart families. They're Reeds, not Stewarts/Stuarts.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:30 pm

Thanks KTR that is something I was forgetting about.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:22 pm

WarpGirl wrote:Oh I know my sister is like me Italian/Irish and married a Canadian DUTCH boy! But Mr. and Mrs. Reed were so English that I wanted tea and crumpets in that episode where we "meet" them.

Your brother is law is Dutch and you never mentioned this to me? :shock: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :raspberry:
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:32 pm

:oops:
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:46 pm

WarpGirl wrote::oops:

I have family living in Canada - lots of Dutch farmers moved to that area after WWII. Canada has just a tad more space. :lol:
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:00 pm

Yeah but isn't it colder? I mean Holland is where they grow pretty flowers. Still freaky coincedence. Almost fainted. Back OT I just saw Proving Ground and there was this scene with Trip and Malcolm in the mess hall, and Malcolm gets coffee... Trip says "What no tea?" and Malcolm replies "No, and no crumpets either thank you!" That had me giggling so hard. Although I can't see how KTR thought Mal and Talas were having real sparkley chemistry. Yeah they had a "you're good at your job and HOT" Moment, but they were playing each other with duplicitous motives as well. I didn't get a I wanna mate with you vibe.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:18 pm

WarpGirl wrote:Although I can't see how KTR thought Mal and Talas were having real sparkley chemistry. Yeah they had a "you're good at your job and HOT" Moment, but they were playing each other with duplicitous motives as well. I didn't get a I wanna mate with you vibe.

Mal and Talas had more than just "you're good at your job and HOT" moments. Had it been allowed to play out they could've melted some Andorian ice caps. I'm not saying it would've been the healthiest of relationships, what with all the duplicitous motives and all, but Mal deserved to tap some blue butt. Alas, Talas had to become a plot device and die so that Archer and Shran could have a fight. I hated that.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:22 pm

I hated that and the fight itself.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:39 pm

Woah! I didn't mean to upset anyone, I just didn't see it. Jeeze. Frankly Malcolm deserved just to have a girlfriend. But I prefer healthy relationships myself. Which is why I prefer Hoshi. And technically Talas didn't cause that rediculous duel, the idiot Tellerite that killed her did.

Fics

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:27 am

I hated talas getting killled just so we could have Archer heroics. for petes sake Shran grew up with an Ice Ax in his hand and Archer never had held one yet he defeats Shran and does it in a way that he only breaks off an antea. I would think that Archer would be a bit busy defending himself to be that particular. But hey, it was Enterprise the amazing aventures of Captain Archer and dummies.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:59 am

Well I love Talas, I thought she was one of the most facinating women to come into Trek in a long time. However, I just didn't see her as a potential relationship for Malcolm. Sex or a one-night stand I could see making a case for, but frankly when he was dying in Shuttle Pod One, Malcom regretted not having one real relationship with the women in his life. In E2, it seriously upset him that he remained a bachelor. I doubt it was only because he was the last Reed. If he seriously only wanted his name to last, he could have fathered a child a half-dozen ways. I think that at the point he met Talas he would prefer a stable, manogamous relationship. And that wasn't going to happen with Talas. I think because Hoshi is similar in personality and well background (isolated childhoods, distant parents) they suit each other well.

Fics

auroraborealis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby auroraborealis » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:35 am

I've been a die hard Malcolm Hoshi fan for a long time, which will become very evident in the story in the following chapters of Mistakes. It just seems like once malcolm got past the the whole rules against fratinization thing, they would have a very healthy, very happy relationship. I mostly ignore whiney Hohsi scenes and reinturrperate her "scaredy cat Hoshi" scenes as "normal human being who is afraid of dying and doesn't have any formal military training" scenes. I mean freaking out because there's a bunch of bodies hanging from the ceiling is something that I think a lot of people might do. It's not exactly what Hohsi was trained for. My idea of Hoshi is that she was kind of thrown into something she wasn't exactly prepared for because of her talent and then she slowly adapted to the situation. I like the Hoshi I have in my head. She's one of my favorite characters.

Malcolm is a whole other thing. They wasted so much potential. He could have been the real heartthrob of the show. See, I have two separte characters. TV Malcolm, the under-used Brit who could have been awesome, and Head Malcolm. Kind of like Head Six... except I'm not crazy. lol. Anyway. Head Malcolm is awesome and make total sense. All of those women he mentioned in Shuttlepod One were really just kind of flings. I think the reason they didn't work out is because Malcolm has serious trust issues, which I blame his parents and Section 31 for. I think that he didn't trust himself to get close to those women and that he didn't trust them to not hurt him. I feel like Hoshi is someone that Malcolm could trust. Like all good relationships, a romantic thing with them would have grown out of a friendship. It's like a couple of people said. They are just so balanced. I love them together and it could have added some really cool drama to the show. Malcolm being involved in the repurcusssions of Hoshis tourture. Hoshi visiting Malcolm when he's in the brig for the whole Section 31 thing. Malcolm visiting Hoshi when she was sick with Trip. They could have had such a cute happy healthy easy relationship and the other thing is that it would have been a nice contrast against TnT's relationship.

Well anyway, I've taken up more than my fair share of bored space. But if I could I would write my college thesis on the complexitys of having a relationship on a starship. But then I would fail at life and that would suck. :(

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:24 am

Well, I started with R/S in Family Secrets as some comic relief to contrast the TnT drama - and then it evolved into a big ole drama.

I totally agree with you, Auroraborealis about the lost potential of Malcolm on the show. But on the other hand, that gives fic writers plenty of stuff they can play with. In my fic, Malcolm and Hoshi embark on a "just for fun" fling that neither of them are ready for and it turns into something else - but they both have more than one suitcase filled with baggage. I decided the only thing that would put Malcolm's head on straight was serious competition - so that's where I went.

But I surprised myself in writing their relationship very messed up for plenty of chapters, but then they are contrasting with a solidly married and together TnT who are working out how to resolve their work and private lives. Since, I hated show TnT behaving like adolescents, in my story they actually behave like adults. So, Malcolm and Hoshi behave like adolescents at first.

I'm going to check out your take. Because what started as an afterthought in my long story became a significant thing and I'd like to see what another writer did with them.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:29 pm

Auroraborealis I think you and I have almost exactly the same type of ideas when it comes to Malcolm and Hoshi. You know she's only 22 in Broken Bow and I think that is something significant especially because TPTB didn't see fit to use it. I'll be the first to admit that I'm confused over your idea that Hoshi could have been involved in Terra Prime but I so enjoy the ride. It's like being nervous in a Hitchcock movie. Anyway never think your posts are too long. I adore reading them.

Fics

starwatcher
The Boss's Lady

Postby starwatcher » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:17 pm

Wait..... Hoshi's only 22 in Broken Bow?! I was always under the impression that was was a decade or so older - she's meant to be an amazing linguist so I assumed that she was post-PhD, but perhaps I'm just making too many assumptions and she was actually a prodigy..... Anyway, I really like the idea of Malcolm and Hoshi, I think that they would go really well together and I hate the thought of Malcolm ending up alone!

Return to “Malcolm and Hoshi Discussion”