Malcolm's British Education

For all those girls that can't get enough of the British bomber.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Malcolm's British Education

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:26 am

aadarshinah wrote:
WarpGirl wrote:Well it doesn't seem so. Earth has a centralized government in ST universe. There is no president of the US there is a Prime Minister of earth.

Ah, but there are govenors of states and, honestly, I couldn't tell you the names of any of the current ones excepting my own and California's - and you just can't not know that one. Just because they're not mentioned doesn't mean that it's not imposible that the US, or any other country, has a president of their own little plot, even if they don't do much.....

Fair point, however I didn't get that sense at all in Demons, Terra Prime and in later Treks they certainly never alluded to the possibility. Of course I'm only talking about earth, not the Federation.

Sorry Alelou I didn't see your post, I'm not saying that culturally that earth isn't separated, but that doesn't mean there are local governments the way we know them now. I always thought Malcolm went to a private school anyway, probably some place like Eton. Eton is nowhere near like British public schools. I watch a lot of BBC.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Re: Was there ever a direct order?

Postby honeybee » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:35 am

I think you mean British state schools, WG. Eton is in fact a public school, because they use the term public rather than private. I know that because I lived in England for a year, and my boyfriend at the time didn't go to Eton, but he did go to a posh, public school called St. Paul's School, which isn't too shabby. *sighs* I miss him. He was hot and had that British upper class accent - and smart enough to get into Keeble College at Oxford.

Oh, and I frigging nearly forgot that my current BBF, Tony, went to Eton for a year. :duh: I didn't think of it right away because he hated it so much.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:41 am

Did you notice my Location thingie, there's a reason I'm in a state of constant confusion. :duh: But you got the point right? Not every little Brit kid, has to you know take cold baths everyday, learn latin and french, and take fencing... Nevermind...

Aquarius maybe they don't have mayors or govenors 150 years from now, maybe the concept of a state is different too. Sure California exists, and Alaska, and others, but maybe they don't have govrnments anymore.
Last edited by WarpGirl on Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Postby Alelou » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:42 am

Malcolm does not come from the kind of family that would typically send its boys to Eton, or be able to afford to send its boys to Eton, or even want to send its boys to Eton. He also doesn't act or sound like someone from Eton, though I suppose we could hope that these class distinctions are not so freakin' obvious in Enterprise's time as they are in contemporary England.

If you have a local bureaucracy running schools (and in England it is quite formalized with national exams), you have local government of some kind elected at some point, unless you're not a democracy. Taxes are raised and budgets are made and spent not because they magically appear but because an electorate has at least decided who gets to make those decisions.

Britain itself is an example of different national governments at work. The Scottish educational system is quite different from the English educational system. The legal systems are also separate. Yet clearly national defense and diplomacy nonetheless reside in one central power.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:52 am

Like I said, I think it's largely this-is-what-the-UN-and/or-EU-could-be-if-we-just-all-stopped-fighting,-acted-maturely-and-reasonably-for-once,-forgetting-old-grudges-political-lines-religious-issues-et-al. IE, if earth suffered a massive world war and the survivors got together and decided just to work together for once instead of killing each other...

but that's never going to happen, so....

oh, addendum. As far as Eton goes, idk anything. But coming from a 230+ boarding school and having heard all the stories about it (there's this annoying one about a quilt they always tell at baccalauriate...), I can safely say that, 200 years ago, women who went on to become the wives of very important men were sent there. One first lady, what's her name? Polk's wife, I think. About that time period, anyway. But now it's mostly a random collection of people like me, who begged their parents to send them to a decent, non-public school and those who were sent there by their parents to get them out of their hair/because they have unreasonable expectations for their child. It's usually one of the two. Also, I noticed, day students tended to be more motivated that most boarders towards their education... but that just might've been my school.

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Re: Malcolm's British Education

Postby honeybee » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:43 am

Brought over from the TnT "Order Thread" since this Malcolm stuff veered so off topic:

[url]Malcolm does not come from the kind of family that would typically send its boys to Eton, or be able to afford to send its boys to Eton, or even want to send its boys to Eton. He also doesn't act or sound like someone from Eton, though I suppose we could hope that these class distinctions are not so freakin' obvious in Enterprise's time as they are in contemporary England.
[/url]

The reason my BFF lasted only a few terms at Eton was because while his Dad was pretty posh, he mom wasn't and he was mostly raised in America. He just didn't fit in there and eventually transferred to another school. And since, aside from indoor plumbing and electric light, it hasn't changed much since Charles VI founded the place, my guess is that it wouldn't change in the future either. But what has changed is British people being impressed by it - if you are right for the place, you are right for the place. If not, you're going to be miserable.

Of course, in Trevverse, it might all be different as you know.

If Malcolm went to a posh British school, my money would be on the military academy at Sandhurst.

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Postby Lady Rainbow » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:09 pm

honeybee wrote:If Malcolm went to a posh British school, my money would be on the military academy at Sandhurst.

Given the Reed family's Royal Naval tradition, I'd think this would be a sure bet. If Stuart Reed graduated from Sandhurst, I can definitely see him sending Malcolm there too.

On that line, it wouldn't surprise me either if the Reed family spent a lot of time at Portsmouth. There are major RN military bases there, and it makes sense that Stuart would have been assigned there at one point. Maybe even more than once.
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:12 pm

His family did spend some time in Malaysia... anyone know why? Retired, or military base there, or what? And, if so, does this mean there might've been a local, British-esque school held over from the colonial days he might've gone to?

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:27 pm

Almost certainly, there was probably still British day schools in Malaysia and Malcolm went there when he was young. Although some families send their kids to boarding schools very young, it's more common to send them when they are a bit older. So, Malcolm could have gone to school in Malaysia and then to Sandhurst when he was older.

Of course, we don't know when or for how long his family lived in Malaysia.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:31 pm

It's actually a pretty common tradition for British families in the farflung parts of the (former) empire to send their kids back to the mother country for boarding school.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Postby Lady Rainbow » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:34 pm

aadarshinah wrote:His family did spend some time in Malaysia... anyone know why? Retired, or military base there, or what? And, if so, does this mean there might've been a local, British-esque school held over from the colonial days he might've gone to?

Maybe...he could have.

Malaysia is still a Commonwealth Nation.Their (present-day) navy is called the Royal Malaysian Navy. Stuart could have been working with them at one point, so the Reeds relocated there, probably at least for several years while Malcolm was growing up.

When Archer talked to them in "Silent Enemy", I got the distinct impression that Stuart was retired from the RN. They were living in Kota Bharu, which is a city up north, close to the Thai border.
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:48 pm

I'm betting that, given their ages and what we know, Senior Reed definately retired to Malaysia... and, based off my experience with military vets, probably served there at some point when Mal was younger. I'm also betting that, while they didn't send him off to boarding school straight away, it was probably young. Right after primary school, probably - late enough so that he'd decided his parents weren't the be all, end all, as he really doesn't seem to care for them. He doesn't hate them either (or so it seems to me), so it was probably before he became a teenager... so I'm guessing middle school.

Sandhurst, I looked up, now seems to be a post-A-level, almost-college place now, with a year-long program for commissioning people into the brit army. My guess is that, while the destination might've changed, the basic premise would probably stay the same. So, if not Eton, I guess he'd probably have gone to a school like Stover or St. Edmund's. Probably something all-guys or, if not, basically segregated, if his interactions with women are any example... but that's just more guesswork on my part...

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:57 pm

OK I just wanted to make clear that I didn't meant to imply that Mal went to Eton only that I thought he may have went to a school like Eton, in the sense that it's harsh, and was given a "classical education" I think its probably a sure bet he went to Military school. I also think that his family might have been sent to Malaysia when Mal was very young, and he went to boarding school later.

Fics

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:43 pm

Lady Rainbow wrote:Malaysia is still a Commonwealth Nation.Their (present-day) navy is called the Royal Malaysian Navy.

Yes, but it's not called Royal because the British Queen is head of state. Malaysia is a monarchy (albeit an odd one) in its own right. It's a federal elective monarchy were were a group of hereditary sultans take turns in being king for five years at a time.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:02 pm

Yes indeed. That part of the world has always facinated me. Hopefully one day I can see it. I wonder if its at all simular to the relationship Britian had with India???????

Fics

Return to “Malcolm and Hoshi Discussion”