Malcolm's British Education

For all those girls that can't get enough of the British bomber.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

starwatcher
The Boss's Lady
Show On Map: No

Re: Malcolm's British Education

Postby starwatcher » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:35 am

Hey, my money would be on some kind of schooling similar to Eton, although I'm not so sure how Malcolm would have fared there. Chances are he would have gone to a decent public or even a grammar school if they're still knocking around, I know that there are some still littered around the UK. That said, boarding school sounds about right too. Although, I'm no expert but I think that Sandhurst might be our Army officer training school, not the Navy. I only say this because my friend's fiancee passed out of Sandhurst not so long ago and he's in the Army. That said, I guess it could serve all three although I was under the impression that it was solely army.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:56 pm

Yep, Sandhurst is for the Royal Army. The Royal Navy has the equivalent Royal Naval College in Dartmouth.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

JaysPlays
Ensign
Ensign

Postby JaysPlays » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:21 am

And this would be my first ever post, having lurked the site for many months… and what makes me post? Subject Matter Expertise and potential inspiration!

I happen to be a Royal Naval Officer so I think I can answer this one. I also get the impression that Malcolm went to a ‘public’ (rather than state) school for a couple of reasons.

1. The way he annunciates is typical of a public school education – but certainly not Eton (look at our current Prime Minister, an old Etonian).

2. In the UK military, we can gain funding to send our children to boarding school, so that we don’t disrupt their education when we move around the military estate or deploy (indeed its call a Continuity of Education Allowance). With Stuart being a Navy man wanting his son to follow the family line, I can see him making use of that allowance.

My guess would be he went to the Royal Hospital School, Holbrook which is the ‘Navy’s’ public school, running its houses like Royal Naval Divisions (like they don’t have prefects, but Petty Officers).

And you’re right, RMA Sandhurst is for Army Officers, RN Officers attend the Britannia Royal Naval College, Dartmouth (commonly referred to as BRNC or Dartmouth – Oh the memories!)

Why the inspiration? I’ve been writing stage plays for about 12 years now, but the muse hasn’t visited for a while. But I kind of like the idea of writing a short about what made Malcolm sign up for Starfleet rather than the RN (but I recall him referring to a phobia and a relative in the Submarine Service). I’m toying with an idea of writing something about his time at the Royal Hospital School, a maritime incident with one of his relatives and his selection for Dartmouth… What do you think… does this have any legs as my first venture to contribute something back to this site rather than keep on raiding everyone else’s work?
Nelson could teach us all a trick or two...

Only see the things you want to see...
Ignore the orders you don't like...
...and when you die, get pickled in brandy and become a National hero!

YA

Jay

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:06 pm

Welcome, Jaysplays! I think it's an interesting idea, especially you have some much experience and knowlegde of the subject. I would be looking forward to such a story (and a new writer): so go for it!
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:50 pm

JaysPlays wrote:And this would be my first ever post, having lurked the site for many months… and what makes me post? Subject Matter Expertise and potential inspiration!

I happen to be a Royal Naval Officer so I think I can answer this one. I also get the impression that Malcolm went to a ‘public’ (rather than state) school for a couple of reasons.

1. The way he annunciates is typical of a public school education – but certainly not Eton (look at our current Prime Minister, an old Etonian).

2. In the UK military, we can gain funding to send our children to boarding school, so that we don’t disrupt their education when we move around the military estate or deploy (indeed its call a Continuity of Education Allowance). With Stuart being a Navy man wanting his son to follow the family line, I can see him making use of that allowance.

My guess would be he went to the Royal Hospital School, Holbrook which is the ‘Navy’s’ public school, running its houses like Royal Naval Divisions (like they don’t have prefects, but Petty Officers).

And you’re right, RMA Sandhurst is for Army Officers, RN Officers attend the Britannia Royal Naval College, Dartmouth (commonly referred to as BRNC or Dartmouth – Oh the memories!)

Why the inspiration? I’ve been writing stage plays for about 12 years now, but the muse hasn’t visited for a while. But I kind of like the idea of writing a short about what made Malcolm sign up for Starfleet rather than the RN (but I recall him referring to a phobia and a relative in the Submarine Service). I’m toying with an idea of writing something about his time at the Royal Hospital School, a maritime incident with one of his relatives and his selection for Dartmouth… What do you think… does this have any legs as my first venture to contribute something back to this site rather than keep on raiding everyone else’s work?

Welcome JaysPlays! You will certainly bring some interesting viewpoints to this board, especially when it comes the operational side of Starfleet. I hope you do write something for Malcolm.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:39 pm

Sure, go for it, and welcome.

You will find a whole lot more Malcolm fics at fanfiction.net, just in case you're interested. I don't remember ever reading one quite like what you describe, however. (LOTS of fics about his fear of water, though -- they even have a Drown Malcolm month over there.)
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

JaysPlays
Ensign
Ensign

Postby JaysPlays » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:25 pm

Many thanks for the welcome!

So I guess I'll start converting the synopsis I'm writing into prose then... It's just a pity it won't reside here! I'll have to come up with a couple of ideas for T&T for that to happen.

Oh, and in case anyone would find this useful, I have just escape a 3 1/2 year tour of the Joint Services Command and Staff College training SENIOR(!) officers in operational command - so if you want to run a tactical/operational scenario past me - I'd be more than delighted.

Thanks again - and I'll keep you updated on what happened to Mal at school.

Jay

YA

Jay

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:34 pm

We do have a section for general ENT fics, so it can run here. We can't promise you tons of readers, though, since people tend not to scan down that far.
Image.Image

JaysPlays
Ensign
Ensign

Postby JaysPlays » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:42 pm

Cool!

Regardless of the voluime of readership - I'd love something of mine up here as I would feel like I'm paying my dues for soaking up all of your imagination.

YA

Jay

YA

Jay

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:47 pm

Okay then.

Of course, the dues most writers really appreciate is leaving comments. 8)
Last edited by Alelou on Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image.Image

JaysPlays
Ensign
Ensign

Postby JaysPlays » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:51 pm

Hangs head with all due shame

Okay then - I'll start doing that as well. I may have a bit of catching up to do as I've read so much of the fic on here!

YA

Jay

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:09 pm

Thanks for the insights JaysPlays! And again Welcome!!!!!!!! :D
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

starwatcher
The Boss's Lady

Postby starwatcher » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:01 am

JaysPlays wrote:And this would be my first ever post, having lurked the site for many months… and what makes me post? Subject Matter Expertise and potential inspiration!

Welcome JaysPlays! And hi as a fellow Brit! Thanks for clearing that Sandhurst query up for me, I was also under the impression that it was Amry only but given how I know nothing about British military life it was good to have you confirm it. Can I ask if you're still in the Navy? My cousin is in the Navy, has been for a while now. I don't hear so much from him as he's obviously all over the place, but he loves it, from what I understand.

JaysPlays
Ensign
Ensign

Postby JaysPlays » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:36 am

Yep! I'm still serving. I have the honour of being a Lt Cdr and adrore it. There is something very special about being in Naval Service. You have the military thing going, but because you're all on the same ship, it's interactions with your shipmates, the relationships you develop, the resolution of tensions... In essance, the people around you.

I guess that's why I loved Enterprise so much. To me, it was the Trek I could relate to the most - something as simple as minding your head in the Captain's Ready Room, else you might hit your head - something you take forgranted on a warship.

But at least NX-01 doesn't have any shin-breakers (ledges at the base of all hatches (doors)) so they can move around a lot faster than I could on any of my Ships.

I mentioned before, I was on the Staff of the Joint Services Command and Staff college - so if anyone would like to look over anything of an operational or tactical nature, I would be delighted.

YA

Jay

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:06 pm

You'd get along with Priso. He spends most of his nights nestled deep deep within the torpedo tube of our submarine that you guys sold us. :lol: They are aligning it. Course we don't actually own any torpedoes.... :guffaw:
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Return to “Malcolm and Hoshi Discussion”