A real live Hoshi

For all those girls that can't get enough of the British bomber.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Re: A real live Hoshi

Postby Distracted » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:44 pm

Linda wrote:I find languages fascinating though learning a language does not come easy to me. But a strange thing happens sometimes when I am learning languages. While learning Ojibwe (Chippewa) I would be trying to remember a word - say the word for water (which is nibi) but when I couldn't remember the word in Ojibwe it would come to me immediately and easily in Spanish (agua). And I hadn't been reading or speaking Spanish for years, but if I was trying to remember the word directly in Spanish, it would not come to me. This has happened many times while learning Ojibwe. Then lately, I was trying to think of a word in Spanish and the word in Ojibwe came to me. This is frustrating! I don't understand why my mind works like this. Has anyone else experienced something like this?

It's likely because you have words compartmentalized in your brain as "English" and "Not English". I would think that's pretty common for someone who does language study late in life. When I was learning French and making the transition to thinking in the language there was a period of time when I would look at a common object and literally not know what to call it in ANY language because I'd been immersed in French so long that I'd stopped thinking in English but I didn't know the word in French yet. It was a truly strange feeling. I'm thinking that people who learn languages well have to somehow separate the languages in their brain so they don't get mixed up. You've just got two categories apparently. Or that's what I think. 8)
Image sig by chrisis1033

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:54 pm

My Aunt is Portorican (I spelled it wrong I know) and Peruvian, so they all know Spanish. It's funny because their little guy starts a sentence in English and ends it in Spanish. It drives his sister crazy.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:56 pm

My friends, you can not even understand how much they are different - as for accent and language - north-Italians from south-Italians. And Italy is little, very little, don't you think? :lol:
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:01 pm

That's not true ASSO. You don't need to be fluent in another language to understand how different it is from your own. I can understand (but not speak) French, Italian, and Spanish. I know they are very different than English. I'm also semi-fluent in ASL another completely different language than English. So I think I have a good idea of how thinking in a different language is.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:24 pm

Ah, but maybe you misunderstood me. I agree completely with you, I was merely joking about differences. :)
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:17 pm

See it's HARD! :oops: :lol:

Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:40 am

Linda wrote:I find languages fascinating though learning a language does not come easy to me. But a strange thing happens sometimes when I am learning languages. While learning Ojibwe (Chippewa) I would be trying to remember a word - say the word for water (which is nibi) but when I couldn't remember the word in Ojibwe it would come to me immediately and easily in Spanish (agua). And I hadn't been reading or speaking Spanish for years, but if I was trying to remember the word directly in Spanish, it would not come to me. This has happened many times while learning Ojibwe. Then lately, I was trying to think of a word in Spanish and the word in Ojibwe came to me. This is frustrating! I don't understand why my mind works like this. Has anyone else experienced something like this?

All the time. These days French and Spanish are always mixing up in my head when I try to speak either of them (and given my family it's usually Spanish I'm trying to speak). Luckily the cognates are similar enough that this can actually be helpful when trying to guess my way through something. But I also remember that after just staying with a German friend at her home for a couple of days before I traveled on to Paris, I couldn't get a simple "oui" out to save my life, it kept coming out "ja." So I felt like a special kind of idiot. I can only assume that the parts of the brain that are busy trying to handle a new language easily transpose the 'alien' words for the same concepts.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:10 pm

I have the same. When we visit Germany, after we came back from Japan, we started to talk Japanese instead of German. Sort of a mix of Japanese and German. Then my German is terrible any way, so I don't think it mattered. :D
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:15 pm

IDIC
:mrgreen:

Return to “Malcolm and Hoshi Discussion”