question about Malcolm/Hoshi knowledge of Romulans

For all those girls that can't get enough of the British bomber.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Linda
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

question about Malcolm/Hoshi knowledge of Romulans

Postby Linda » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:18 pm

I am about to post a story but need some information to stay within canon, if I can. If no one can answer the question for me, I will have to review some of the episodes, which would be fun, but would take some time. The question is, by the time of the Romulan War, did Malcolm or Hoshi know that the Romulans were related to the Vulcans? Did they know they originated on Vulcan? Or did just Archer know, and perhaps T'Pol and Trip? This is not a really big deal but I might have to change my story a bit. Anyway, I will have to come up with a plausible reason why anyone in Star Fleet from Archer's time knew what the Romulans looked like when during TSO, long after the Romulan War, humans did not know.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Asso
Site Donor

Re: question about Malcolm/Hoshi knowledge of Romulans

Postby Asso » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:38 pm

For all I know, Spock was dumbfounded to see that the Romulans were similar to Vulcans.
So no one knew anything about them before.
My thought.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:03 pm

I assume that in ENT's time nobody knew what Romulans looked like. Otherwise Spock and Kirk wouldn't be so surprised to see a Romulan. Some Vulcans may have known, but kept it a deep secret.

In the Romulan war SF may have learn about Romulan language or technology, but not how Romulans looked like. People SF was fighting the Romulans in the war, I explain this in my stories by having them wearing a black mask on the face when interacting with other species, sort like the Breen. In one story I have the Romulans using chemicals just to wipe out all the DNA traces after a fight.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:30 am

I can't remember any evidence during the Enterprise series that anyone learned who the Romulans were. Given that it was not widely known well after the war (however implausible that may seem) it would be easy to argue that the Romulans managed to keep their secret all that time.

On the other hand if it's helpful to your plot to have some people know then it would be easy to stay in canon by inventing a justification for it being kept a secret. It doesn't need to be a particularly plausible justification. In fact, for consistency with the rest of canon it might be better if it was obviously made up on the spur of the moment to justify some trivial plot point. But preventing a major diplomatic falling out between Earth and Vulcan due to Vulcan's secret duplicity being exposed seems to be a favorite theme which I can easily believe.

putaro
Captain
Captain

Postby putaro » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:32 am

In TOS, the explanation seemed to be that the Romulan War was fought ship to ship and there was no personal contact. From ENT some Vu!cans (e.g. V'Las) knew and anyone else is open to speculation. If Malcolm and Hoshi learned somehow there would need to be a reason for them to keep it secret.

Eireann
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Eireann » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:11 pm

Just a tentative suggestion - could Malcolm hear about it via his Section 31 connections? then he would HAVE to keep it a secret.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:55 pm

I've always thought it highly implausible for no one to know about who the Romulans are. The Starfleet rank and file probably don't know (as witnessed in Balance of Terror) but I think some of the leaders on Earth - and later the Federation - does know. Obviously Section 31 knows, and thus maybe Reed. But the Vulcan-Romulan connection is in all likelihood kept secret as to not embarrass the Vulcan allies, both during the Romulan War and then to keep the newly formed UFP intact.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:10 pm

All this has its own logic, but building a history of knowledge of what the Romulans are on the part of some, though few, honestly removes from them charm and puissance.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Return to “Malcolm and Hoshi Discussion”