Interesting tidbit about Richard and Matt Jeffries...

Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Interesting tidbit about Richard and Matt Jeffries...

Postby Lady Rainbow » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:38 pm

From Virginia Tech Magazine, Fall 2008...(I'm a Tech alumna, '95 and I get the alumni magazine)

"In Beyond the Clouds: The Lifetime Trek of Walter "Matt" Jeffries, Artist and Visionary, Richard L. Jeffries (mechanical engineering, '44) recounts the life of his brother Matt, who was the art director of the original Star Trek series as well as an aviation artist and historian.

The book is self-published with Brown Books (16200 North Dallas Parkway, Suite 170, Dallas, TX 75248); www.brownbooks.com "

Didn't know Matt Jeffries's brother went to Va. Tech. :D
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

Elessar
Site Owner

Re: Interesting tidbit about Richard and Matt Jeffries...

Postby Elessar » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:18 pm

Lady Rainbow wrote:From Virginia Tech Magazine, Fall 2008...(I'm a Tech alumna, '95 and I get the alumni magazine)

"In Beyond the Clouds: The Lifetime Trek of Walter "Matt" Jeffries, Artist and Visionary, Richard L. Jeffries (mechanical engineering, '44) recounts the life of his brother Matt, who was the art director of the original Star Trek series as well as an aviation artist and historian.

The book is self-published with Brown Books (16200 North Dallas Parkway, Suite 170, Dallas, TX 75248); http://www.brownbooks.com "

Didn't know Matt Jeffries's brother went to Va. Tech. :D

I have a signed copy of that book ;)

A group of us met Richard Jefferies at Non-Con '08 in Dallas. I liked him immediately b/c he reminded me of my late grandpa. I told him about my fan fiction and how his brother (or rather, the ST character named/modeled after his brother as an early starship designer) was a primary character in the Twist of Fate series. He was really pleased and I think, like, humbled to hear that. His wife was also very very nice.

We talked about that, about VA-Tech, since I was going to another engineering school. You know that an engineer is of "the elder generation" of engineers when you say "Yeah I go to UMR, in Rolla" and they go "Oh, the school of mines!" :lol:, b/c it used to be known as just the Missouri School of Mines before expanding to other engineering disciplines.

I haven't gotten around to reading that book yet though. I don't want it to get messed up or anything, it's a beautiful book. And his wife was going on about how there are some original photographs and pictures of starship models that you don't see anywhere else because they were personal belongings of Matt's that came into Richard's possession after Matt's death.

I told him how much I wished his brother were here so I could talk to him about my fic :)
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Return to “Other Trek”