Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Show On Map: No

Re: Picard/Crusher shippers?

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:11 pm

CX wrote:They could've had some pretty good drama out of Picard/Crusher if they had actually done anything with it though.

I can hear the AinTers screaming that exact same line... :raspberry:
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:15 pm

A quick answer: NO. I never liked the Picard/Crusher ship, mainly because I thought Crusher was stiff. BUT I liked in the finale where it was revealed that they had married AND divorced. And so at one point someone calls "Captain Picard" and they both answer. I really liked that. "All Good Things . . ."
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:38 pm

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:A CO/CMO romantic relationship is one of the great no-nos. One of a medical officer's ultimate duties is to rule a commanding officer unfit for command. Having both together would compromise that. It's the same with a CO and and XO, since the XO is the second-in-command. Those two examples would be the two most serious violations of the non-fraternization rules. So both Picard/Crusher and Archer/T'Pol would be out of the question.

In reality, this would be true.

However, the slightly taboo nature of the CO/CMO dynamic in a romantic relationship is part of what made the notion compelling, I think. And people tune into that sort of stuff not for reality, but for reality stretched, if you know what I mean--it's a fantasy.

Good drama is people having trouble doing what they're supposed to be doing.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:42 pm

I'm glad to be simply a lover of Trip and T'Pol love story.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:00 pm

Aquarius wrote:
Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:A CO/CMO romantic relationship is one of the great no-nos. One of a medical officer's ultimate duties is to rule a commanding officer unfit for command. Having both together would compromise that. It's the same with a CO and and XO, since the XO is the second-in-command. Those two examples would be the two most serious violations of the non-fraternization rules. So both Picard/Crusher and Archer/T'Pol would be out of the question.

However, the slightly taboo nature of the CO/CMO dynamic in a romantic relationship is part of what made the notion compelling, I think. And people tune into that sort of stuff not for reality, but for reality stretched, if you know what I mean--it's a fantasy.

Maybe so, but then I think Picard/Crusher would be a terrible example. Picard is just too stiff and by-the-book that I cannot see this as ever happening. Oh wait, it didn't... ;)

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:31 am

McFadden did make some weird acting choices, but I still thought those two had a nice chemistry and I was indeed completely hooked on that ship. But I too liked "All Good Things." By having them married and divorced, at least it finally acknowledged that ship. And I still found it quite hopeful. It was a great episode for having your cake and not having your cake and eating it and not eating it too.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:53 am

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:
Aquarius wrote:

Maybe so, but then I think Picard/Crusher would be a terrible example. Picard is just too stiff and by-the-book that I cannot see this as ever happening. Oh wait, it didn't... ;)

You're right, it didn't--but as a fanfic writer, "what could've been" can be just as important (and intriguing) I find.

And Picard did loosen up a bit as things progressed. You never know what was in their history--or their future--even if it wasn't going on right this minute. THAT is what I liked about it.

Yeah, I get it. There are lots of reasons NOT to like this pairing. But I'm just putting a feeler out there, trying to see if there's anyone else here I DO have this in common with, so we can talk. :dunno:

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:37 pm

To be honest, I didn't care much about any of the TNG characters, and thus I could even care less about who hooked up with whom. :?

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:00 am

Alrighty then. :?

Still seeking those who did...

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:18 am

There must be active sites somewhere devoted to TNG or ST in general ... aren't there?
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:11 am

Oh, I'm sure there are. But I don't want to seek out another community and join up and end up overcommitted...if no one here is into P/C too that's cool, but if I can make a friend who's into that as well as TnT, well that'd just be a bonus! 8)

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Postby Lady Rainbow » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:20 am

Aquarius wrote:

I agree with both of you. In the real-life military, a CO/CMO relationship wouldn't be acceptable for the very reason KTR said. Yet in Star Trek, the Picard/Crusher relationship wasn't exactly "common knowledge", though they did have a previous history together (through Jack Crusher). Always thought that would cause more dramatic tension (i.e., would Beverly hold a grudge, be angry vs. Jean-Luc), because it would force her to reevaluate her decision to be the CMO and those mixed feelings.

But yeah, it's drama. If you consider TAS canon, Capt. Robert April was married to his CMO.

(And I really complicated things in my AU Switcheroo Series, with the Hoshi/Malcolm relationship being a CO/CMO thing itself. But, it's drama. :))
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:35 am

There's also this to consider, I think: one of the whole points of Enterprise-D is to encourage families and relationships on board, because of the length of the missions and everything. There was nothing saying that the captain can't get his freak on once in a while. Now, I understand the ethical dilemma that comes with a captian and his chief medical officer having a romantic relationship under normal circumstances, but this is supposed to be the "warmer, fuzzier Starfleet," so perhaps Starfleet wouldn't make such a big deal about it if they trusted themselves to have selected people of strong enough character to do the jobs they're supposed to do despite whatever kinds of relationships may unfold?

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:41 pm

That's another thing I didn't care for on TNG - having families onboard. It's too freakin' dangerous, as even the pilot episode showed when they had to evacuate the families and then separating the saucer section. They were lucky that they even had the time to do that.

But I'll bow out of this one, since it's supposed to be a thread about the P/C 'ship.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:43 pm

You know, try to imagine a spouse and kiddies on a naval battleship or aircraft carrier on the ocean. It seems totally silly. So why would they do that in space either?

I noticed one person said Crusher was stiff and another person said Picard was stiff. It would be hard to build a relationship between a couple of stiffs. :lol: They had some good moments and it might have worked if they offloaded Crusher to a medical position on a space station. Then they could have a few episodes where the Enterprise visited the station for one reason or another, like a Klingon attack or picking up supplies. Still it would take a lot of work to make fans care about that particular couple. They were so bland. But actually, that seems to be one type of relationship that lasts in the real world. :|
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Return to “Other Trek”