Top Ten Star Trek Characters Who Most Deserve to be Shafted

Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

thecursor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Top Ten Star Trek Characters Who Most Deserve to be Shafted

Postby thecursor » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:52 pm

10- Archer (ENT)- That's pretty much obvious. Let's just move on.

9- Riker (TNG)- When you go over his career on TNG, you realize that he was without a doubt the worst First Officer of all time. The man was little more then a hard on that played trombone and his continuing refusal to let Picard go on away missions came off like that jealous frat boy working at his dad's company and wants to be put in charge of the big account. Props for excellent poker skills.

8- Lore (TNG)- Evil Data, very scary. Also, worst gimmick ever.

7- Species 8472 (VOY)- Their position on this list more reflects my disappointment then any actual hatred. Species 8472 started out pretty cool, their story line gave us Jeri Ryan in a Catsuit, they were non-humanoid, ate Borg for breakfast, and they came from a universe filled with liquid (not sure how that works but still cool). They remained awesome for quite a while until they showed up in a crappy 'Voyager goes to Earth but it's not really Earth' episode and their image was forever ruined as Janeway manages to reason with them, hence ruining their image as unreasonable monsters. What happened to the gut wrenching terror of a seeing a three legged reptile/insect crawling on the outside of the ship?

6- Seska (VOY)- The second in a long line of crappy VOY characters, Seska was the least effective Cardassion spy I've ever seen and really felt more like an effort to shoe horn a DS9 Race into a Delta Quadrant show. She had an affair with Chakotay (sending Janeway/Chakotay shippers into a fenzy), Then had a love child (enhance frenzy), then died after giving Suder a chance to prove he's awesome. (Thank you Suder).

5- The Vidians (VOY)- They looked fairly awesome and the concept of crazed doctors tearing out organs has potential, but the execution seemed less then great. In the end, the Vidians simply sucked less then Kazon.

4- The Kazon (VOY)- There was never a point in that show's history when they were scary. They talk like Klingon impersonators, fight like feral dogs, and had the technological achievement equaling a third world African Country...in the fifties. As Voyager's first villains, they had the honor of sucking the most. Which they did, often.

3- Garak (Ds9)- Started out cool, then turned into little more then a pointless distraction and a question mark for Bashir's already dubious sexuality. If you want him to be a spy, make him a damn spy. If you want him to be a sympathetic refugee, make him a sympathetic refugee, pick one.

2- Rom (Ds9)- Pretty much everything this guy did was annoying, and yet they thought he was more deserving of character development then the space pimp that was Quark.

1- Wesley Crusher (TNG)- Clear evidence of Rod's descent into senility, the mere mention of Wesley is enough to send many a normally placid Trek fan into a fit of frenzied anger. He whined, he was too smart for his own good, and in the end he ditched school to let some creepy alien show him the secrets of the universe....or at least that's what he told his Mom.

Honorable Mention- Anything that comes from the Holodeck (TNG, Ds9, VOY)- Vic, the Doctor, everything. In fact holograms in general. You'd think that after the dozens of times that stupid machine malfunctioned and threatened the crew, Starfleet would have the bright idea to take the damn things off line. Further more, the fact that the holodecks have produced not one, not two, but an entire RACE of sentient holographic life forms is more then enough reason to turn the fucking thing off.
"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Show On Map: No

Re: Top Ten Star Trek Characters Who Most Deserve to be Shafted

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:37 pm

Can't agree about the Vidiians or Seska. And I still like Garak, even if I'm not done with my DS9 watching yet.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:53 pm

Your list is interesting and I partially agree with some of it. But I totally disagree about Rom and Garak. It sounds like object to these characters being complex. You want them to be totally bad or totally one dimensional. I like complex characters. I agree with you most definitely on Ryker and Lore!
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

thecursor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby thecursor » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:58 pm

I object to the overbearing style in which that complexity was created. A complex character is fine but not if it causes two side charactes to start stealing the show from a war and several dozen already fascinating characters. My hatred for Rom will never die
"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:38 pm

Let me add Deanna Troi and her even more obnoxious mother to the list. "I can sense your pain!" Ugh!

And of course Chakotay, most emasculated Trek character ever.

Didn't care for Neelix either. Man, he was annoying.
Last edited by Kevin Thomas Riley on Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

thecursor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby thecursor » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:23 pm

Ah yes, Neelix...he was...what the hell was he on that ship? The cook? The scout? What was he even there for? I remember thinking in the first episode that he was a Kazon spy and that he was about to stab everybody in the back...then it never happened and I had to look at him for the rest of the trip. He was like the vestigal organ of Star Trek. You could get him removed even though he's not causing a problem but that would require an effort on your part and frankly it's just not that big a deal. Basically, this man was no different then the little monkey tail on the base of our back bone.

Alot of TNG characters could be placed in the Most Needed Shafting department: Troi, Crusher, Lore, Riker. Basically anybody who wasn't Picard, Worf, Ro Laren, or Data. You could pretty much get rid of the whole show except for them. Data because he's a robot, Worf because he's an alien, Ro because she's a terrorist, and Picard because frankly Picard got pretty awesome there. The fact that he's basically still worshipped by millions of Borg and that he did kind of save the Klingon Empire more then makes up for the fact that most of the time everyone was yelling "Kirk would've shot that dude and kissed that lady" or "What are you talking about 'negotiate'? Just ice that Romulan bastard and crack a Bud!"
Last edited by thecursor on Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:25 pm

Actually, he was... pathetic.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Eian Flannagan
Commander
Commander
Twitter username: eianflannagan

Postby Eian Flannagan » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:27 pm

Koss---If there was ever a dude that needed shafting...he qualifies.

Sybok---Need I expound on this one?

Feezel---I think she might have been a better plot bunny for Kirk's era.

Vorik---Dude got beat up by a girl. Granted, the girl was half-Klingon, but I thought male Vulcans in pon farr were suppose to be tough!

the Borg children---Umm, were there any good episodes that featured them? That girl was downright creepy.

Eian
"We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds;
our planet is the mental institution of the universe."
---Johann von Goethe

The Happy Medium Universe

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:47 pm

Eian Flannagan wrote:Koss---If there was ever a dude that needed shafting...he qualifies.

NO DOUBT! :censored:
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:15 pm

Q. Ugh. Ick. Urgghhh...
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

leslina
Commander
Commander

Postby leslina » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:28 am

Eian Flannagan wrote:Sybok---Need I expound on this one?
Eian

No, but I'm compelled to vocalize my utter bafflement with this film. Sybok aside, Vulcan Queen? When I saw this film as an adult my first reaction was :vulcan: and my first thought was, "Royalty? On Vulcan?" I dunno, maybe I'm just being a hypersensitive fan geek, but for a society that pride's itself in being logical and pragmatic with a government that follows a Senate model (I think), the concept of certain citizens having Royalty status seems NOT logical or pragmatic, but then Shatner was both involved in the writing and directing of this one... :?
“Talking is one of the fine arts--the noblest, the most important, the most difficult--and its fluent harmonies may be spoiled by the intrusion of a single harsh note.” ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:39 am

There were a lot of lines in that movie that you could tell the Stat wrote. Too be honest, only the very first part of that movie ever really held much interest with me. Well, that and the look of the redone bridge, though to be honest I like what they did with it in ST6 better because of the harder look and the color scheme (and an outstanding lack of lame jokes about the captain's chair).

KKGlinka
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby KKGlinka » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:41 am

leslina wrote:"Royalty? On Vulcan?"

And Spock was going to marry a princess. I always figured that the royal or noble families were sort of vestigial culture. They still had their titles, but no true power. OTOH, I've also developed the distinct impression that Vulcan does, to a certain extent, have a class system based on a family's level of historical accomplishment. This is most evident when you see a single family dominating the ambassadorship, and such. I view it as part of epitomizing tradition in their society rather than any strict caste system.

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:40 pm

Koss, Q blech, Wesley Crusher,Vorik,Janeway, I like Garak. Q I disliked that character eversince the the pilot I don't like q episodes.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:09 pm

Q is a trickster character, like the trickster in teaching tales of many cultures. People are not supposed to like him, LOL, because he makes fools of people to embarass them into changing their attitudes or behavior. Like Nanaboozho in Ojibwe culture or Coyote in other Native cultures. Can anyone think of other trickster characters? My mind is slow this morning. Uh, oh, here comes Q. What have I done now to attract his attention? Something stupid as usual! :lol:

But hey, stop picking on poor Koss! :badgrin: :guffaw:

Freezel, Phlox's wife? I thought she was kinda cute. Oh, well.

Sybok, yes, what a dud. He didn't even seem very Vulcan to me. And the idea of Vulcan royalty does not sit well with my view of Vulcan culture either. War chieftains, dictators - yes, but royalty? Well, whatever you want to call the leaders from their history!
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Return to “Other Trek”