Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Linda
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: Most Shafted Star Trek Side Characters

Postby Linda » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:21 pm

Elizabeth Tucker (Trip's sister). I wanted more of a back story. And of course I wanted her to somehow survive and appear later for a reunion with her brother. I know some fans don't want that because they feel Trip would have suffered for nothing if she really turned up alive. But even Trip said "I'd do anything to get her back." So :raspberry: Sherlock Holmes came back from the dead!

Kov! I wanted to see Trip and Kov meet again. I imagined Trip and Kov dragging in some old engine parts into the mess hall to work on at a table in the corner while they have lunch. And I see Hoshi saying "get those dirty old things out of here!" Then I see Hoshi writing a sign in English and Vulcan and posting it on the mess hall door "No engine parts allowed in here".
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:56 pm

The idea of Spock/Saavik never did it for me - actually, it kinda repulses me after reading the "Pandora Principle" and thinking that Spock actually raised her since she was ten years old. The whole thing seems so incestuous and just ruins both characters for me -- actually, I really didn't like Spock that much after Star Trek III. He went from being my absolute favorite TOS character to just plain wrong. Particularly in Star Trek: VI when he mind rapes Valaris. It's like they turned a completely awesome character into a dirty old man.
Writing as TrekPyro.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:28 pm

It actually wasn't Spock/Saavik, though, on screen. It was Spock's teenage clone/Saavik. Saavik had a thing for Kirk's son, who they killed off pretty stupidly, IMO. I can see how she ends up marrying Spock, though, since after helping the clone survive Ponfarr on the Genesis planet, I would guess she's bonded to him. Dunno how adding Spock's katra to the mix would affect that, though. I've never read the books. It's an interesting idea, though. If she had sex with the clone and bonded to him, would she still be bonded after Spock's katra got stuck in there too? What happened to the poor clone's katra? I know he was just alive for maybe a couple of weeks before they put Spock's katra back in, but he wasn't Spock. Spock's body was dead. Did the books even address the ethical dilemma of sticking Spock's katra back into a body that was technically a different individual?
Image sig by chrisis1033

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:33 pm

True - Spock/Saavik is mostly trash hatched out of the novels and fans who try to fit all the novels into canon. I've never read the Spock/Saavik marriage book. Though I did attempt it once, but I was just so repulsed by the pairing that I put it down.
Writing as TrekPyro.

leslina
Commander
Commander

Postby leslina » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:42 pm

CoffeeCat wrote: -- actually, I really didn't like Spock that much after Star Trek III. He went from being my absolute favorite TOS character to just plain wrong. Particularly in Star Trek: VI when he mind rapes Valaris. It's like they turned a completely awesome character into a dirty old man.

You know, it's interesting that you say that. In the past few weeks I've been re-watching the Trek films and it occurred to me just how big a slut Spock is! I mean, seriously, is there NOTHING he won't mind meld with? Sheesh. He's a mind meld whore!

ST: TMP - The Alien Entity
ST II - McCoy, granted that was somewhat necessary.
ST III - No one. I was shocked!
ST IV - Gracie, the whale, :vulcan:
ST V - Shocked again!
ST VI - Kim Cattrall's cute lil Vulcan, who was really a Romulan, Valaris.

He's a Vulcan whore! :lol:
“Talking is one of the fine arts--the noblest, the most important, the most difficult--and its fluent harmonies may be spoiled by the intrusion of a single harsh note.” ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Eian Flannagan
Commander
Commander
Twitter username: eianflannagan

Postby Eian Flannagan » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:39 pm

leslina wrote:You know, it's interesting that you say that. In the past few weeks I've been re-watching the Trek films and it occurred to me just how big a slut Spock is! I mean, seriously, is there NOTHING he won't mind meld with? Sheesh. He's a mind meld whore!

Oh, and don't forget all the mind melds he performed in TOS! Remember the silicone-based Horta? The same episode that gave us:

"Dammit, Jim. I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!" :bow:

Eian
"We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds;
our planet is the mental institution of the universe."
---Johann von Goethe

The Happy Medium Universe

leslina
Commander
Commander

Postby leslina » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:02 am

Eian Flannagan wrote:Oh, and don't forget all the mind melds he performed in TOS! Remember the silicone-based Horta? The same episode that gave us:

"Dammit, Jim. I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!" :bow:

Eian

:guffaw: Classic. When Vulcan's do something, they sure don't do it by halves. From mind meld phobes to mind meld nymphos. :roll:
“Talking is one of the fine arts--the noblest, the most important, the most difficult--and its fluent harmonies may be spoiled by the intrusion of a single harsh note.” ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:07 am

I don't know about the other stuff, but I'm still pretty pissed about Spock mind-raping Valaris for something he knew all along he could've just called up Sulu and ask, like he did a few seconds afterwards anyway.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:08 am

Yep - I think that was definitely one of the worst character assassinations I've ever seen in Star Trek. Egh - I think it would at least make one of the top three anyway. I think that may be why TOS doesn't excite me anymore. I mean - how can one write a character as awesome as Mr. Spock - as a Tolaris? It just blows my mind when I think about it as an actual canon event.
Writing as TrekPyro.

Eian Flannagan
Commander
Commander
Twitter username: eianflannagan

Postby Eian Flannagan » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:10 am

CoffeeCat wrote:Yep - I think that was definitely one of the worst character assassinations I've ever seen in Star Trek. Egh - I think it would at least make one of the top three anyway. I think that may be why TOS doesn't excite me anymore. I mean - how can one write a character as awesome as Mr. Spock - as a Tolaris? It just blows my mind when I think about it as an actual canon event.

That just begs the question: Does Spock's meld with Valeris cause you to go back and re-think, with suspicion, all of his actions throughout TOS and the early movies or just take it all at face value?

Eian
"We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds;
our planet is the mental institution of the universe."
---Johann von Goethe

The Happy Medium Universe

thecursor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby thecursor » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:40 am

Considering he was desperate to stop a war with the Klingons and that he really did need to know how deep that conspiracy went, I'm willing to give it to him. Though you are right, the fact that he could've just as easily learned where the conferance was by picking up the phone and calling Sulu was a little ineffiecent.
"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

leslina
Commander
Commander

Postby leslina » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:54 am

thecursor wrote:Considering he was desperate to stop a war with the Klingons and that he really did need to know how deep that conspiracy went, I'm willing to give it to him. Though you are right, the fact that he could've just as easily learned where the conferance was by picking up the phone and calling Sulu was a little ineffiecent.

It was not logical.

I wonder if it was a strong arm tactic to make Spock seem edgier. First nailing the hot chick on Genesis and then Bad Ass Spock with the forced mind melding. Either way, it took away from his character rather than endear him to the fans.

On a side note, your sig cracks me up every time I read it TC. I own Big Trouble in Little China, but Encore's been running it so much this summer my copy's been collecting dust on my shelf. So many great, cheesy liners in that one.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:51 pm

Excuse me if I could seem sour, but frankly I think we are talking of hokums, here and now.
After TOS, nobody and nothing are worth a darn, regarding Spock, Kirk and Co., in my mind.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

thecursor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby thecursor » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:10 pm

leslina wrote:
On a side note, your sig cracks me up every time I read it TC. I own Big Trouble in Little China, but Encore's been running it so much this summer my copy's been collecting dust on my shelf. So many great, cheesy liners in that one.

"It's all in the reflexes."
"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

leslina
Commander
Commander

Postby leslina » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:35 pm

thecursor wrote:
leslina wrote:

"It's all in the reflexes."

"This is gonna take crackerjack timing."

Return to “Other Trek”