Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Re: Most Shafted Star Trek Side Characters

Postby Alelou » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:15 am

Are there people who actually like Kelby? Talk about a thankless role.

There's a whole web site devoted to Rostov somewhere. :)
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

thecursor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby thecursor » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:52 am

Well that's because Rostov is fucking bitchin'. Duh.

I like Kelby, I really do. They should give his own series: Second Best. Where this guy is frustrated by his Vulcan-Loving super boss who makes him look incompetant. Then he comes home to his evil, green girlfriend as she secretly plots to take over the universe by sleeping with random guys.
"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:53 pm

Alelou wrote: Sometimes I wonder if they were simply afraid to give a black guy enough edge (too scary from a PC point of view). So he ended up terminally bland and no fun to write.

That is our theory over here. Although, my husband did like Sisko. My husband, who is black, took it personally that Jordi was so unlucky in love. He was always shouting at the writers as we watched TV.

By the way, TheCursor, and Elessar. Great lists of shafted characters! I have nothing to add to that!
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:08 pm

Oh the adopted Borg child was Echep. I know because shafted characters often turn up in Strange New Worlds fanfic. I think that's how I know. Yeah, I liked him.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:24 pm

spelled 'Icheb" actually. - That character always annoyed me - it was like Wesley Crusher all over again.
Writing as TrekPyro.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:44 pm

What about Hess? She kept being mentioned as Trip's second, but she was never seen, not once. Then this Kelby character comes in and she's completely forgotten. Pfft! Talk about a thankless job!

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:56 pm

Actually Hess was only mentioned once (forget which episode now). It's only in fanfic that she's been used regularly.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

thecursor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby thecursor » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:04 pm

It would still be nice if she got a face to go with the name. Man it seems EVERYBODY was more qualified then Kelby.

I just realized the two guys who most deserve more coverage:

Robert T. April: The possibly non-canon but still cool predecessor to Pike and Kirk, April may or may not have been the guy to run the Enterprise after Archer. We won't know because Berman never covered it.

Captain Harriman: Poor guy, Kirk shows up on your ship the day it takes off and what happens? The coolest man in Starfleet dies on your watch! This is the guy who went down in history as the Enterprise Captain who left port without Weapons or a Medical team. Nice work dude, way to look like a chump in front of Kirk.
"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:46 pm

Harriman was a classic example of someone being made to look incompetent in order to make another character look better by comparison.

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Postby Lady Rainbow » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:52 pm

thecursor wrote:It would still be nice if she got a face to go with the name. Man it seems EVERYBODY was more qualified then Kelby.

I just realized the two guys who most deserve more coverage:

Robert T. April: The possibly non-canon but still cool predecessor to Pike and Kirk, April may or may not have been the guy to run the Enterprise after Archer. We won't know because Berman never covered it.

Yeah, he's mentioned in TAS, but that's about it. I actually used him in one of my fanfics as the guy who's the Enterprise captain between Archer and Pike.

thecursor wrote:Captain Harriman: Poor guy, Kirk shows up on your ship the day it takes off and what happens? The coolest man in Starfleet dies on your watch! This is the guy who went down in history as the Enterprise Captain who left port without Weapons or a Medical team. Nice work dude, way to look like a chump in front of Kirk.

He was portrayed so badly that someone---I forget where I've heard this---suggested Harriman got his captaincy because of politics, not competence.
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

thecursor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby thecursor » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:16 am

Lady Rainbow wrote:He was portrayed so badly that someone---I forget where I've heard this---suggested Harriman got his captaincy because of politics, not competence.

I could see that, I know there was a book or two where he and his crew sort of redeemed themselves in the eyes of Starfleet. Either way, man was the captain of a ship named Enterprise, could've of sucked that much.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:05 am

justTripn wrote:My husband, who is black, took it personally that Jordi was so unlucky in love. He was always shouting at the writers as we watched TV.
I thought that was because they were trying to decide his sexual orientation. :?

Eian Flannagan
Commander
Commander
Twitter username: eianflannagan

Postby Eian Flannagan » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:14 pm

Elessar wrote:Lon Suder.

Who? You might ask.

This badass Betazoid Maquis from Voyager who should've gotten HIS OWN SHOW.

How often does Star Trek portray a freakin serial killer whose motives don't fit some kind of cookie cutter Jungian archetype that a 4-yr old could identify? How often is he asked, only after beginning to control his murderous impulses, to HARNESS and EXERCISE those impulses to save the ship at the cost of himself, and our moral cleanliness? Guy had such a hoss violence in him, even Tuvok couldn't hang around him without becoming violent. Yet, it was like a Buddha violence. He'd recite a poem to you in that smooooth, freaky voice and then sever your arms from your body with a hacksaw made of saved up fingernails.

I agree completely. Lon Suder as a precursor to Heath Ledger's Joker? The character had fantastic potential.

Here are my picks:

1. Species 8472, so cool they live in fluidic space and just pop in to normal space willy-nilly, whenever they want, to pick off a Cube or two! They were defeating the freaking Borg! Instead of a battle for galactic dominance, they were driven back into fluidic space only to be brought up again one other time in a wooden, Chakotay-laden episode where they end up playing patty-cake.

2. One, the wonder-Borg with 29th century technology and Seven of Nine's nanoprobes! Do I really need to add anything else here?

3. Saavik. This one chaps me. The character appears in THREE motion pictures and all Hollywood really used her for is to boink Spock a couple times in his Genesis planet-accelerated Pon Farrs. Later novels fleshed her character out, but she was basically ignored on screen. Starfleet's first Vulcan/Romulan hybrid? What a waste of potential.

....and Robin Curtis was hot.

Eian
"We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds;
our planet is the mental institution of the universe."
---Johann von Goethe

The Happy Medium Universe

thecursor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby thecursor » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:16 pm

Eian Flannagan wrote:3. Saavik. This one chaps me. The character appears in THREE motion pictures and all Hollywood really used her for is to boink Spock a couple times in his Genesis planet-accelerated Pon Farrs. Later novels fleshed her character out, but she was basically ignored on screen. Starfleet's first Vulcan/Romulan hybrid? What a waste of potential.

She also almost dated Kirk's son, which would've continued the Kirk family legacy of smooching hot aliens.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:59 pm

Instead of which, in the novels at least, she ends up marrying Spock. :lol:
Kind of a formidable age difference there, I would have thought, even accounting for species.
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Return to “Other Trek”