Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Linda
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: Romulan Wars

Postby Linda » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:57 pm

Cursor, have you put this theory about the Romulans in any of your stories? I find it interesting. Who would the individuals be who knew the Romulans were related to the Vulcans? Soval? V'Lar? Did Archer find out? Section 31? This could be a great story.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

thecursor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby thecursor » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:35 pm

Alright, did a little research on Memory Alpha, how's this sound for a Romulan War story:

The War starts off slowly, a few minor pirate attacks by Romulan raiders turns into a full scale conflict where Vulcan Suurok Class Command Crusiers are going toe to toe with Romulan Battleships and Tellarite Warriors face down armies of Reman Battleslaves. By the time Earth joins in, the battles get bloody and the Romulan Wars are the ugliest in Earth's history: heavier losses then both the Eugenics Wars and World War II combined. Humanity's lack of technological advancement forces them to rely on an old "friend": Nuclear Weapons. Using their new knowledge of Dilithium and cold fusion, a series of "Super Bombs" are deployed against the Romulan ships. The use of atomic weapons and ship to ship combat makes face to face contact with the Romulans impossible and casulties high.

Suddenly new races join the alliance and the tide turns quickly. To bolster their fleet's numbers, Starfleet starts issuing field commissions to alien volunteers in 2160. Chulak, a legendary Romulan field commander is killed at the Battle of Galorndon Core after an Earth Vessel captained by a skilled Tellerite commander destroys his command ship just above the planet's atmosphere. The following day, Earth's President changes Starfleeet Academy's charter to allow alien species to join which lays the foundations for a multicultural Starfleet. the War comes to climatic conclusion at the Battle of Cheron, where Romulan forces fail to punch through Alliance lines and suffer crippling losses at the hands of their enemy.

Humilated at their defeat, The Empire sends a single Romulan assassin to murder Soval on the Vulcan Homeworld. The attack is a failure and the Romulan is captured alive by Section 31. Suddenly the origins of the Romulans become clear: They are the Outcasts of Vulcan legend, the breakaway race of primitive Vulcans who embraced war over logic and lost the battle for the planet's soul. Despite Archer's desire for full disclosure, Section 31 knows that to reveal the enemy's true nature would shatter the stable Alliance and ruin Earth's chances of galactic standing. The assassin is murdered, the Vulcan and Starfleet personnel who saw his face die in a series of mysterious accidents, all files and evidence is wiped clean until only Archer, Shran, and Soval are the only men left who know the truth.The three men spend the rest of their lives fighting Section 31's influence on the newborn Federation, successfully keeping Section 31 from attaining the presidency in 2184 after Archer wins the mid term election.

Peace is brokered via subspace radio, the Vulcans and the Andorians become fast friends, and History records a great victory for the Federation. The Romulans enter a period of isolation only coming out of hiding during their historic confrontation with Captain Kirk.
"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:24 pm

Archer, Shran, and Soval?
They? No one else? :doubt:
Mh... Honestly, I would prefer a change of heroes. Archer, above all. :vulcan:
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:53 pm

No offense dude, but I like Rigil's version better, including why no Romulan was ever seen and recognized as a Romulan.

thecursor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby thecursor » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:09 pm

:lol: Hey, I work with what the show gave me! I even whipped out canon used battle names! GRRR! :lol:

None taken, though I would at least beg for props for trying to explain why a warp capable culture was resorting to something as mundane and stargate-y as "atomic weapons" per Spock's description.

I didn't know Rigil had a Romulan Wars fic, having only recently returned to the fan fic scene, where can I read it?
"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:09 pm

thecursor wrote:I didn't know Rigil had a Romulan Wars fic, having only recently returned to the fan fic scene, where can I read it?

Star Trek: Endeavour

It's actually a number of fics.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:28 am

Nukes would still be a pretty powerful weapon, whether against planetary targets, or even in ship-to-ship action. Even the 1701-nil felt threatened enough by a nuke launched at them from that space Nazi planet to destroy it before it could detonate its payload, so I'm guessing ships of the NX-01 era would be nuke fodder.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:03 am

thecursor wrote:I didn't know Rigil had a Romulan Wars fic, having only recently returned to the fan fic scene, where can I read it?

Oh my God. A true newbie. You're in for a treat.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:54 pm

Cursor, I like your Romulan War history! And I have been meaning to read Rigils but have not been able to fit it into my reading schedule yet, so can't make a comparisen here. One thing though. You have the Vulcans having skirmishes with the Romulans at the beginning of the war, but Earth is the main opponent according to canon, right? And the Vulcans did not help Earth too much in that war, openly at least, right? So why didn't the Vulcans send their ships openly into that war and fight alongside the Humans? Would it be they thought if they did, their genetic relationship to the Romulans would be revealed?
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

thecursor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby thecursor » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:59 pm

Part of the problem with the canon is that it isn't as clear anymore if it was just Earth or the Early Federation (Called the Alliance). Memory Alpha said Alliance, *the_abomination* implied Federation, TOS novels say Earth, Star Trek's Pre-Enterprise Chronology says Earth. In the end, I went with what I saw on screen and what I could assume from the last episode (it's still canon, I hate it too). Four planets formed a coalition, the Romulans didn't like that, they moved in to break it up and Earth eventually took point.

The real issue I have with the books is the idea that it's JUST Earth and not the Federation, since now we know that the Federation would've been around in some form back then. By the end of Enterprise, Earth wasn't as much of a threat for the Romulans to target. Sure you could say that the Romulans just wanted slave labor or more turf, but that's not the Romulans we've seen so far. Those Romulans are paranoid of other species in the extreme, they would rather hide in isolation and sneak around behind people's back.

So if anybody's going to bear the brunt of the Romulan anger it would be the Vulcans. Vulcans may have forgotten about the Romulans and that time in their history but I'm betting the Romulans haven't forgotten the Vulcans and are still pissed about it.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:58 am

thecursor wrote:Vulcans may have forgotten about the Romulans and that time in their history but I'm betting the Romulans haven't forgotten the Vulcans and are still pissed about it.
This makes sense. If anyone's going to hold grudges, I should expect it to be the Romulans.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:28 am

thecursor wrote:So if anybody's going to bear the brunt of the Romulan anger it would be the Vulcans. Vulcans may have forgotten about the Romulans and that time in their history but I'm betting the Romulans haven't forgotten the Vulcans and are still pissed about it.

There is a scene in the Vulcan arc of ENT were we see that Vulcans are throwing nuclear bombs at each other. My little theory is that at that point of time there has been a sort of civil war between different clans. After the nuclear bombing some clans were forced to go in exile - maybe because they didn't want to stop fighting and they left Vulcan.
The Vulcans that stayed in Vulcan were so disgusted with their violence that they embraced logic and a sort of pacifism.
After travelling in the universe (and maybe visiting Earth in the Roman times) the Vulcans in exile found a new place, Romulan. They mix with the locals, but they still feel like they are the real Vulcans and want revanche on the Vulcans that stayed behind.
Also, the Romans had such a influence at the Romulans, they consider Earth the new home and they want to make it a Romulan planet. (I know, bit weak part of my theory). And they want to break up the founding of the Federation. So when Star fleet is taking the bait, the war starts...
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

thecursor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby thecursor » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:54 am

Well, TNG kept refering to a designation of humanoid called "proto-Vulcan", Maybe the Romulans in your theory (who I imagine travelled the universe as a kind of Romulan BSG) seeded a couple of worlds on their way. That might explain a trip to Earth as well.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:30 am

panyasan wrote:
thecursor wrote:So if anybody's going to bear the brunt of the Romulan anger it would be the Vulcans. Vulcans may have forgotten about the Romulans and that time in their history but I'm betting the Romulans haven't forgotten the Vulcans and are still pissed about it.

There is a scene in the Vulcan arc of ENT were we see that Vulcans are throwing nuclear bombs at each other. My little theory is that at that point of time there has been a sort of civil war between different clans. After the nuclear bombing some clans were forced to go in exile - maybe because they didn't want to stop fighting and they left Vulcan.
The Vulcans that stayed in Vulcan were so disgusted with their violence that they embraced logic and a sort of pacifism.
After travelling in the universe (and maybe visiting Earth in the Roman times) the Vulcans in exile found a new place, Romulan. They mix with the locals, but they still feel like they are the real Vulcans and want revanche on the Vulcans that stayed behind.
Also, the Romans had such a influence at the Romulans, they consider Earth the new home and they want to make it a Romulan planet. (I know, bit weak part of my theory). And they want to break up the founding of the Federation. So when Star fleet is taking the bait, the war starts...

It's very difficult to explain something that have its only reason in the fascination of the Roman Empire. That (and the surprise of seeing that Romulans were Vulcans) was a "Coup de théâtre".
And then: Spock didn't know anything about Romulans's aspect, and Romulans were in cahoots with High Command?

And:

V'LAS: You've failed. Decades of work have been lost.
ROMULAN: Am I to be blamed for your incompetence?
V'LAS: Archer should've been killed.
ROMULAN: You brought the humans into this. I must leave Vulcan. My position here has been compromised.
V'LAS: What about me?
ROMULAN: Not now. Your disappearance would cause suspicion. This is simply a minor delay. The reunification of our people is only a matter of time.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:00 am

^ I didn't care for that scene. It was supposed to leave you on a hook, but we already know their plans failed. Okay, Spock is working on peaceful reunification, but that's different. So I just didn't much care.

Why, why, why do so many people think Romulans visited Earth? I don't get it. Yes, I know they use Roman terms. It's a translation. Does the Chinese president get called "President?" I think not, but that's what his title translates to in English. Translation is necessarily an art rather than a science, but if the Romulan structure resembled the Roman structure, or the first translator really liked Rome, that's all it'd take. /rant

Return to “Other Trek”