Romulan Wars

Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

thecursor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Romulan Wars

Postby thecursor » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:08 pm

So I finally got my hands on a copy of Star Trek Legacy for X-Box 360 and was completely geeked out over it's "Skirmish" functions where you create scenarios using ships from every era. I made my own "Wolf 359" where the Federation soundly trounced the Borg for some reason(the programmers have made the Borg so underpowered it's kind of sad) and after a few very one sided Borg fights, I took the liberty of simulating the Romulan Wars.

Naturally the Romulans cheated. I showed up to the battle in rickety ENT era antiques and my pointy eared adversaries started zipping around in TNG syle Warbirds (those sneaky Romulans! Grrr!). Long story short, I lost. But it got me thinking how bloody the Romulan Wars must have been.

The Romulans are the equal of the Federation by the TNG era and a lot of that show seemed to focus on tip toeing around the Romulans. Every third word out of Picard's mouth seemed to be "Don't Piss off the Romulans" or "Stay on our side of the Neutral Zone!" That might have a lot to do with the fact that Romulans are really just evil Vulcans, the Drow of the Star Trek Universe if you're a DnD player. Think of all the really amazing stuff Spock did, then remind yourself that he's just half Vulcan and that the Romulans can do all that too only better because Vulcans are sissies.

Is it me or has Starfleet history been hiding a really huge conflict, a massive epic that probably should've OPENED ENT instead of being relegated to 'unfinished buisness'. I'm probably overstating things for my own gratification but if we do see another prequeal series, shouldn't it be just about that.
"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Romulan Wars

Postby CX » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:22 pm

The originally proposed ST11 would've been about the Rommie War. Unfortunately it would've still been made of fail.

thecursor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby thecursor » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:50 am

As most latter trek movies were indeed made from fail. Though the J.J. Abrams version seems to include ninety percent more fail then ever before, like someone opened up the formula and asked if there was a way to add more fail.

I mean, while the concept has the potential to really be awesome, some how a movie for something like that seems really too small.
"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:30 am

There's some debate as to whether it's going to be a reboot or not, but the way it looks at the very least it'll be an AU heavy movie with time travel and possibly a reset button being involved. All over-done in Trek already, but I digress. At least it doesn't have a racist ancestor of Kirk (named Tiberius) riding around on an air-cycle, a secret Nazi base in Antarctica being used as a base of operations, and a single ship named the Spartan being sent on a one-way suicide mission to Romulous, loaded with nukes (as the way Earth wins the war). I'm not sure about the second point, but the first and third were confirmed in some release I saw about the plot of Berman's movie.

thecursor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby thecursor » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:50 am

Made to suck.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Postby JadziaKathryn » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:00 am

Here's the thing about the Romulan War: we never saw it, and in fact haven't even been told much about it. All we know is Spock's comments, right? The 30 second rundown of the Romulan War. There are so many possible ways to take it. Although I kind of doubt there were TNG style warbirds. Then again... *ponders* you could have some sneaky TNG-era Romulans... oh! led by one whose ancestor was dishonored during the war... who try to go back in time and win the war.

I rather like that, actually. But don't expect me to write it. I don't do war stories. I wouldn't know where to start.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:14 am

And nevertheless, a way there must be. A way that doesn't forget Trip and T'Pol, and that can be a little more "romantic" than the stories (very beautiful) we have read.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:44 am

Well, there's Endeavour, but there'll also be Foundations, provided we last that long.

thecursor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby thecursor » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:57 pm

Star Wars had a similar problem with the Clone Wars, since for the longest time their only in canon material was one throwaway line during the first movie and a military patch on Boba Fett's Uniform (still pissed he didn't actually SERVE in the Clone Wars)

The movies were a mixed bag but really the Clone Wars Cartoon series was about the only solid hit out of the prequel. I still say series is the only way to go with something like that.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:14 pm

thecursor wrote:Is it me or has Starfleet history been hiding a really huge conflict, a massive epic that probably should've OPENED ENT instead of being relegated to 'unfinished buisness'. I'm probably overstating things for my own gratification but if we do see another prequeal series, shouldn't it be just about that.

That is exactly what I was thinking. Star fleet is hiding something, maybe some really big mistakes, Romulans agents that inflitrate Star fleet, Earth barely winning etc. I even have this little theory for a story that *the_abomination* was also a cover up story (including the fake break up and fake death of Trip) for some terrible mistake on Star fleet side.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:17 pm

JadziaKathryn wrote:I rather like that, actually. But don't expect me to write it. I don't do war stories. I wouldn't know where to start.

You can write stories about the Romulan war without really writing fighting and that sort of thing. Like writing about a family that fled their world when the Romulans came and Enterprise helps them. That sort of thing. Any way, I really like your writing, so I would be happy to read another story of your hand, having to do with the Romulan war or not! :D
Last edited by panyasan on Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:19 pm

panyasan wrote:
thecursor wrote:Is it me or has Starfleet history been hiding a really huge conflict, a massive epic that probably should've OPENED ENT instead of being relegated to 'unfinished buisness'. I'm probably overstating things for my own gratification but if we do see another prequeal series, shouldn't it be just about that.

That is exactly what I was thinking. Star fleet is hiding something, maybe some really big mistakes, Romulans agents that inflitrate Star fleet, Earth barely winning etc. I even have this little theory for a story that *the_abomination* was also a cover up story (including the fake break up and fake death of Trip) for some terrible mistake on Star fleet side.

Yes! And the small wheels of my brain... spin, and spin, and spin...
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Postby Lady Rainbow » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:01 pm

panyasan wrote:

That would be an awesome prequel, I think. There's so much to explore during that time period...

(PLOT BUNNIES!!!!!!!!)
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

thecursor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby thecursor » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:13 am

I'm betting the problem stems from the fact that Romulans are technically an off shoot of Vulcans.

You have this early Federation, where everybody's still got their own military and the whole pact is really tenuous at best. The Big X factor is the Vulcans and the Andorians. Regardless how things ended up at the end of the show, Andorians have hated the Vulcans for years and Archer had to kind of shoe horn them into the newly formed Federation.

Things are going fine until suddenly somebody, probably Starfleet, pisses off the Romulans. Suddenly this powerful race comes roaring out of isolation looking for blood and everybody scrambles to defend their turf.

The idea that during a major armed conflict, nobody saw the Romulans face to face sticks in my craw so the way I see it: cover up.

Starfleet and Vulcan High Command see the Romulans, realize that if this ever got out, the Federation would be as good as over, so they cover the whole thing up. History records that the Romulans never delivered face to face contact and the Vulcan/Andorian Hatred slowly dies away, thanks to quick thinking by some clever ambassador and Starfleet, nobody sees the Romulans again until Kirk and Spock get an eyeful.

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Postby Lady Rainbow » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:39 pm

thecursor wrote:I'm betting the problem stems from the fact that Romulans are technically an off shoot of Vulcans.

You have this early Federation, where everybody's still got their own military and the whole pact is really tenuous at best. The Big X factor is the Vulcans and the Andorians. Regardless how things ended up at the end of the show, Andorians have hated the Vulcans for years and Archer had to kind of shoe horn them into the newly formed Federation.

Things are going fine until suddenly somebody, probably Starfleet, pisses off the Romulans. Suddenly this powerful race comes roaring out of isolation looking for blood and everybody scrambles to defend their turf.

The idea that during a major armed conflict, nobody saw the Romulans face to face sticks in my craw so the way I see it: cover up.

Starfleet and Vulcan High Command see the Romulans, realize that if this ever got out, the Federation would be as good as over, so they cover the whole thing up. History records that the Romulans never delivered face to face contact and the Vulcan/Andorian Hatred slowly dies away, thanks to quick thinking by some clever ambassador and Starfleet, nobody sees the Romulans again until Kirk and Spock get an eyeful.

You know what, this mirrors an idea I have...almost to a T. Eerie how we think alike, Cursor. :shock:
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

Return to “Other Trek”