Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: The Good Men Do

Postby Reanok » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:01 pm

Alelou wrote:
blacknblue wrote:Why don't publishers scour these boards and actively recruit competent writers? They whine about nto being able to find content, but the fan fic writers are demonstrably better than what they are paying for. So why not go recruiting like any other industry?

I'm sure they have no lack of writers. Plus for these guys it's very important that the writer 1) Has a demonstrated track record in meeting deadlines, 2) Will toe the Paramount line in terms of what's allowed, and 3) Won't be a nutcase to deal with. So they're far more likely to want someone who comes to them through regular channels, i.e. through an agent or possibly the slush pile. So if you want to propose something to them, see what their submission channels are and use them. But you should also know that these don't pay as well as regular book contracts.

:lol:Good points about the editors and the rules about writting novels.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:22 pm

Slush piles are a very long shot these days. You need an agent. Learned this at a writer's conference I went to last spring. Short stories you might be able to get published more easily. Look through directories of publishers to see if they accept 'over the transom' stories. Thats for writing in general.

Pocket Books (Simon and Schuster) has a monopoly on Star Trek. They have dropped by half (at least) the number of ST novels they are publishing a year, since no TV series is in production. Check Simon and Schuster website for their policy on submissions. They have many established ST writers but certainly are not using most of them right now. They are not accepting any new writers of Star Trek in any form now, since the Strange New Worlds contest ended over a year ago.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:41 pm

Luckily there's this site. :D
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:47 pm

Linda wrote:Slush piles are a very long shot these days. You need an agent. Learned this at a writer's conference I went to last spring. Short stories you might be able to get published more easily. Look through directories of publishers to see if they accept 'over the transom' stories. Thats for writing in general.

Pocket Books (Simon and Schuster) has a monopoly on Star Trek. They have dropped by half (at least) the number of ST novels they are publishing a year, since no TV series is in production. Check Simon and Schuster website for their policy on submissions. They have many established ST writers but certainly are not using most of them right now. They are not accepting any new writers of Star Trek in any form now, since the Strange New Worlds contest ended over a year ago.

Yeah, I'd say that's a really long shot right now too. But if you have something ready to go I'd keep a sharp eye out for what happens to the ST movie and how that rubs off on the other fandoms because they could decide to gear up again and if so they'll want to pump it through the pipeline fast.

For regular fiction, yeah, you probably need one. With fiction, even if you get in the door without one, you should probably get one just to negotiate the deal, because that advance may well be the only money you ever see. But you really don't always need an agent to get considered, especially for nonfiction and sometimes for genre fiction, or whenever you have another way to get your foot in the door and contact an acquisitions editor (or her boss) directly.

Years ago I worked as an acquisitions editor for a small Prentice Hall division and I think I only dealt with agents a few times -- thank God. They were a pain in the ass on the teachers' professional reference books we published, and I very much doubt the little tweaks they sometimes won to the boiler plate contracts we used were worth the 15% commission they were getting.

And good luck finding an agent who even wants to deal with short stories. You'd have to have a big name or an award-winning anthology ready to go or an agent who is unusually dedicated to literary work. There's hardly any paying market left for short stories. However, there are plenty of options for submissions on your own if you want. Good luck. I think there are more writers than readers in the short story market. In fact, I know a local independent bookstore owner who is convinced there are more writers than readers in ALL literary fiction markets right now.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:44 pm

Good point about the movie, Alelou! It is coming out the summer of 2009, right? Hmm...

I am an optomist. Even thought there are more writers than readers...all those writers are also readers, right? :? I am an addicted book buyer. You could say that I am 'book poor' the way some people are 'land poor'. I will be shopping for reading material tomorrow for the long train ride to Rochester, New York for another family wedding this weekend. 8)
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:50 pm

I'm a fan of libraries, myself. With the interlibrary loan online I can get just about any book I want sent to my local branch. It's easy to fill room after room with books and after awhile it's just too much. I still have way too many hanging about because I pick them up at thrift stores or the library used book sale and haven't read them yet. Once I do read a book I have to REALLY love it or it gets passed along.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Return to “Other Trek”