Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

KKGlinka
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Show On Map: No

Re: The Good Men Do

Postby KKGlinka » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:28 am

justTripn wrote:Cool . . . where have you been all this time KKGlinka!

I drifted away from the HoT crowd sometime around "Home", I believe, because I got so irritated by the wangsty roadblock being thrown up at the last minute, when it looked like it wouldn't be resolved due to Enterprise being cancelled. Likewise, I assumed this comm would drift away but... you're still here, so I'm back.
Distracted wrote:One must have the proper wardrobe for the task at hand. :lol:

Hey, these are Vulcans we're talking about, right? The people who wear bondage gear to weddings and big funny hats? Why, negligees are perfectly tame by T'Pol's standards. *deadpan*
Alelou wrote:He did shoot her down, but it wasn't much to shoot at. It was like, "Is that really all you've got? After what you've put me through?"

*nods* Mm hm. She was finally acting like a proper Vulcan and he wasn't used to it. It was a horribly ironic culture clash at the worst possible time. Not only in terms of his emotional state, but the show ending, effectively truncating what should have been a fun romantic reversal.
Alelou wrote:As Connor T put it in that interview Drogna posted, you only really complain passionately about the things you love.

We have a saying like that over in comics fandom, too: You don't love a character until you can hate how they're written. And I'm definitely picky. :D

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:38 pm

Drift away? This community? Well, some did. What's left is the hard core. :badgrin: We have kinda all grown to look alike:
:vulcan: :vulcan: :vulcan: :vulcan: :vulcan: :vulcan: :vulcan: :vulcan: :vulcan: :vulcan:
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:57 am

LOL! :lol:
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

ableone
Ensign
Ensign

Postby ableone » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:00 am

D-, I know you proclaim that you have a stack of books that you keep meaning to get to, but read one official Trek book and let me know how you think it measures up against some of the classic sci fi that you read in your youth.

(Admin note: Sorry ableone. I intended to quote this and ended up erasing half of it. That's what Elessar gets for making me an admin, I guess. See my response to your now non-existent review below.

Distracted :? )

KKGlinka
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby KKGlinka » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:36 pm

ableone wrote:I have not read any other Trek fiction so I don't know if the writing is generally poor and that is acceptable because the target audience is so hungry for the material that they buy the books anyway.

I've read just enough to know it varies wildly. While I consider Surak's Soul to be equally weak, I starting reading TGTMD straight off hearing the Vulcan's Soul trilogy. It's possible my bar was set rather high, after that, but I've read enough fic to be plenty forgiving. I also read Last Full Measure, which featured the MACOs. It sort of plodded along, slogging through the plot and featured Tripman at the end. I'm positive I wasn't supposed to set the book down laughing and go, in a falsetto manly emo voice, "I'm Tripman. My sister is dead." I guess I just don't like these two authors. Then I turned around and started reading the Endeavour Chronicles so that pretty much cemented my opinion.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:38 am

Yes, *dryly* It is a rather striking contrast, isn't it?
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:39 pm

ableone wrote:D-, I know you proclaim that you have a stack of books that you keep meaning to get to, but read one official Trek book and let me know how you think it measures up against some of the classic sci fi that you read in your youth.

I'm pretty caught up now after 2 weeks of enforced idleness following my knee surgery in February. Which one would you suggest I read? Based on your very pithy (and now erased :( ) review, I would think that it wouldn't be TGTMD.

And please go read his story, guys. Here's a shameless plug to make up for screwing up his post: By Special Authorization
Image sig by chrisis1033

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:35 pm

I like TGTMD storyline when it comes to Trip & T'Pol's storyline and the other things dealt with the abomination . I know others here don't agree with me but I liked the book.I also think some of the Fix the finale fanfiction was well done.

ableone
Ensign
Ensign

Postby ableone » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:59 pm

I'm pretty caught up now after 2 weeks of enforced idleness following my knee surgery in February. Which one would you suggest I read? Based on your very pithy (and now erased ) review, I would think that it wouldn't be TGTMD.

And please go read his story, guys. Here's a shameless plug to make up for screwing up his post: By Special Authorization

I guess that you just can't stop yourself when it comes to editing my writing. :-)

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:16 pm

Heh. It's more like I have trouble most days figuring out which buttons to push. 8)
Image sig by chrisis1033

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:46 am

So I just finished chapter 22 today (uh yeah my sig is like way outdated :? :roll: ) and there was that part about the Romulan commander who killed his centurion because he didn't wanna get kinky with him and his wife. :roll: I mean, really. I don't get it. Like why do people tend to portray the "bad guys" as ENTIRELY corrupt in every possible aspect all too often. I mean like not that I really know that much about Romulan society etc but hell that's a LOOOONG way from their portrayal in "Balance of Terror" for example. Or any other Romulan episode I've seen (which isn't a lot :? ). Like forget the fact that they're Earth/Federation enemies for a moment and look at them as an individual species. And sorry. That just came off as cliche human.

I guess what I'm trying to say is like when they're written like that it's really hard to see them as 3 dimensional characters/species. And that's a really bad thing. Like WAY worse than being bad and corrupt all over. :? :(
Last edited by TPoptarts on Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

KKGlinka
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby KKGlinka » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:13 am

TPoptarts wrote:So I just finished chapter 22 today (uh yeah my sig is like way outdated :? :roll: ) and there was that part about the Romulan commander who killed his centurion because he didn't wanna get kinky with him and his wife. :roll: I mean, really. I don't get it. Like why do people tend to portray the "bad guys" as ENTIRELY corrupt in every possible aspect all too often.

*points* I just read that part. Three times to make certain. I think it's meant to be subtle. Like an anvil. About how ebil and awful them thar Romulans are. Argggh! *makes a pirate face* Except for the kindly old man who just wants to do science. *makes puppy dog eyes* Awww, poor old widdle scientist. It's subtle the same way the discussion about God was between Trip and the guy who got vaporized, because I'm sure that's not an elementary level discussion to have about religion, or anything. It's, like, profound and mature or something and not at all a massive Issue Stick thrown in for Meaningful Content.

*yawns*

I also find it impossible to believe that it's everyone who has never seen a Romulan, considering how vast and expansive their empire is. I find it far more likely that Humans have never seen one and everyone else thinks is so bloody obvious that it's not worth mentioning. Geeze louise, think how fast any dolt can google up info today and multiply that by technobabble science magic.

Oh... and T'Pol doesn't recognize a Romulan... even though she served on the Tomed Mission. Wait, I already established that she's a trout who can't recognize that her mating bond hasn't been violently severed. *waves a hand* I'm sorry, but you're just gonna have to put me in the camp that believes the Vulcans knew darn well that the Romulans were their sundered cousins and it was one of those massively important things they conveniently didn't mention. Ever. Like pon farr.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:18 am

Why don't publishers scour these boards and actively recruit competent writers? They whine about nto being able to find content, but the fan fic writers are demonstrably better than what they are paying for. So why not go recruiting like any other industry?
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:37 am

blacknblue wrote:Why don't publishers scour these boards and actively recruit competent writers? They whine about nto being able to find content, but the fan fic writers are demonstrably better than what they are paying for. So why not go recruiting like any other industry?

I'm sure they have no lack of writers. Plus for these guys it's very important that the writer 1) Has a demonstrated track record in meeting deadlines, 2) Will toe the Paramount line in terms of what's allowed, and 3) Won't be a nutcase to deal with. So they're far more likely to want someone who comes to them through regular channels, i.e. through an agent or possibly the slush pile. So if you want to propose something to them, see what their submission channels are and use them. But you should also know that these don't pay as well as regular book contracts.

I tried with a few chapters and an outline for a TNG novel once many years ago. The agent thought it was good and ran it past them but it broke a key Data rule and that was the end of that. I probably could have kept trying but I had a day job and I also thought the agent was a bit of a nut. She couldn't stop talking about Jonathan Frakes' butt... :lol:
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:50 am

Now it's all about Frakes' GUT... :twisted: :p
ImageImage